1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arch3r

Arch3r Well-Known Member

Seen Blue Jasmine? I usually am a bit hesitant on that sort of thing but I loved it.

1 person likes this.
  2. Arch3r

Arch3r Well-Known Member

I find a lot of the HBO series far more interesting than a 2 hour movie. More character development, story etc. House of Cards is probably my favourite show at the moment, Season 2 is just around the corner!

Opera & theatre are great if you can get the tickets, I struggled to find reasonable seats at La bohème for less then $200 a pop.

3. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

Bell Shakespeare is usually cheap.

Decided I'd start wearing a blazer, chinos and an OCBD when stuck in the office. Tried to wear a pocket square but mum said it made me look like a wanker (or more of one :( )

4. Arch3r

Arch3r Well-Known Member

Bell Shakespeare is always great.

Must be a mum thing, I get it from mine every time I wear one too. Prefer not to take any guidance from a woman who has terrible taste though.

On Supergas, what do they fit like? I've not tried a pair on but usually wear an 8.5 dress shoe normal width. They seem to only carry size 8 and 9 no half sizes.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  5. Foxhound

Foxhound Well-Known Member

Thanks for the photos, lender, and the great night.

Fxh, I'm finding most forms of entertainment lacking these days. I struggle to, even find a decent video game to play. I'm thankful that I've startes reading again. I finished The Fault in our Stars the other night, that was pretty good, but it was to predictable. I ordered ZAMM last night so I should have that Friday or Monday.

Looks good JH,what's your lapel size, and out of curiosity, how tall are you?

6. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

7. lennier

lennier Well-Known Member

What happens at DTK stays at DTK.

2 people like this.
  8. The Ernesto

:laugh:

Nuff said.

You looked v sharp. Well done.

9. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Well-Known Member

Quote:If you wear a white only pocket square, folded, just showing, and with a white shirt only, you should get away with it as it can nicely break up the colour of suit and shirt. Try this for a little while and see if you still draw unwarranted attention. I can't think of a more conservative way to wear a pocket square. If that doesn't work, nothing will. @FoxHound - 5'9 62kg - pretty standard height/weight. As for lapel width, Patrick selected that width, I don't know much about it. Thanks for all the encouragement as well guys, it means a lot coming from people that I have only disappointed.

10. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

Too true, innovative with an ability to tap into current society to make it relevant, R&J post Cronulla riots and JC re Rudd and Gillard power plays. Saw Waiting for Godot STC production last year $110 a ticket but 3 rows from the front, brilliant.

Blue Jasmine is a great film, strong story and cast delivers the goods. Pity the Mia Farrow white anting campaign being played out at present.

Not an opera buff but SSO tickets A reserve at the Opera House are over $100 these days, sigh remembers student price of $20 back in the 90's, live culture is not cheap, hence film being the dominant entertainment medium.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  11. The Ernesto

As someone who doesn't really like people either, going to the cinema these days does fill me with a slight feeling of dread.

However, going during the day when possible can be fantastic.

Saw Wolf of Wall Street on EXTREME SCREEN with only about four others in the cinema. Then saw Gravity at Imax with about six others in the room.

1 person likes this.
  12. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

I agree with J-Ho in regard to the above.

A linen pocket square in either a plain colour, or with a small border in a slightly different colour (ie sky blue linen with a white border or white linen with a sky blue border) in a conservative fold with look pretty inconspicuous but will still help to break up the outfit.

I also agree that J-Ho's suit looks good, and that's a nice tie, too.

1 person likes this.
  13. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Well-Known Member

Wearing braces for the first time today. Very pleasant although I sewed the buttons onto my trousers slightly unevenly. I am wearing one of my fuller shirts, and the way that it billows and folds around the forks of the braces is a little irritating, but darts would solve this I think.

14. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

That's all I ever do. Mum says no.

15. The Ernesto

Sometimes mums are wrong. Not often, just sometimes.

1 person likes this.
  16. lachyzee

lachyzee Well-Known Member

What's on everyone's winter purchase list? I'm sick of the hot days.

For me, so far:

Navy shawl collar cardigan from CT (very nice for $100).
    Jeans
    Rain Mac
    Peacoat
    RMWs
    + Maybe 1-2 new pairs of AEs
    + Mabe 2-3 new Luxire shirts with French cuffs (which I think of as winter-y).

17. Arch3r

Arch3r Well-Known Member

Navy Shawl cardigan for me as well, can't decide if I should get a cheapy or spend some $$ and get the Drakes Cashmere one.
    Navy 3 piece suit
    C&J Tetbury boots in black
    On the look out for some more cashmere scarves. HenryCarter getting any more? I've got a Grey one which is excellent.

18. Nolvadex

Nolvadex Well-Known Member

Jeans
    Long sleeve shirts. Probably ocbds and long sleeve polos
    Wouldnt mind more popovers. I wear my white o&j one every week. Its pretty damn awesome
    I have a couple of toj jackets otw hopefully they arrive before winter starts
    Socks
    Undies
    Maybe some sneakers. Could have gotten somr nike air max 90s for like $80 a couple weeks ago but the pink on them didnt seem right. Will opt for somethig white if I find some that fit me

19. Nolvadex

Nolvadex Well-Known Member

Johnston of Elgin have some pretty good cashmere scarves and arent too expensive. Easy to find on ebay.

I have one that was designed for Hugo Boss but was rejected and ended up on ebay, so im probably one of like 2 people who own that scarf #fkyea.

20. boff

boff Well-Known Member

Agreed.
    Haven't we been through this? We should not let our women (mothers wives etc...) dress us. In the main they simply don't have a clue. My wife spends an untold fortune every year on flimsily make 'designer' stuff. And yes, I think she looks great but whenever I suggest she finds a decent dressmaker/whatever and spends some money on bespoke she looks at me like I have two heads. Or what about shoes. She thinks nothing of dropping $500 on a pair of heels that are a) very bad for your feet/spine/etc.. and b) only last a year at most. When I spend $500 on a pair of shoes they will be hand made and will last a fucking lifetime. And they will fit me, will not incur bills from the osteopath bla bla bla.
    Try asking a woman to buy you a business shirt. You know, when she says 'what do you want for xmas' and you go, 'oh I don't know just get me a shirt'. You will never get a nice plain pale blue or white shirt. Some bastard monstrosity with stripes or checks or a weird collar in a garish colour. WTF is that?

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.