1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

2. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

Why not get something interesting then?

3. charliechan

charliechan Well-Known Member

I have not been keeping up with your posts so not sure whether your wedding is more formal or 'fun.' I wouldn't say PoW is boring though, I think it can look very sharp. Plus remember that old adage about not standing out more than the bride...

4. ovlov

ovlov Well-Known Member

That's true. I actually really liked the idea of PoW up until I got Hober's current swatch and the material just looked and felt so lifeless. Then I looked elsewhere and found Passagio Cravatte... I dare any of you to browse through his catalogue and then be prepared to accept 'just a simple prince of wales' ;)

The wedding is not super formal though. Regular suits with various colored dress shoes, winery wedding with ceremony on the lawns. So maybe I don't have to stick that strictly to the rules ..

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  5. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

I've got Jason's old one. Its one of my favourites.

6. Arch3r

Arch3r Well-Known Member

Ovlov I would check out http://vandafineclothing.com. They have a great range of ties perfect for summer with some really nice patterns.

Some of the ones I really like -
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Vanda's ties are absolutely fantastic and I've got quite a few (although not quite as many as Nabil does!).

However, I don't think that there is much time until ovlov's wedding and I don't know whether Gerald and Diana from Vanda would be able to make a tie and get it to him in time. I guess that it wouldn't hurt to ask them, though.

8. ovlov

ovlov Well-Known Member

Arch3r - I love those ties. Unfortunately they are way too small for me. Ill flick them a quick email and see if they can do a custom order in time.

Oli2012 - I originally planned on going through Jason but unfortunately once again they're too small and he needed about 3 months notice for a custom order

9. charliechan

charliechan Well-Known Member

Have you looked at Tom Ford ties? They are certainly not 'small' and they can have some pretty interesting designs

+1 to Henry Carter PoW though

10. tchoy

tchoy Well-Known Member

It's a Grenadine tie I associate it with more casual attires.

I don't think pow ties are boring at all. You'll be in 30 years times looking at your wedding album you make this choice.

+1 on Vanda ties Gerald and Diane is pretty quick to fulfil orders.

11. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

All of Vanda's orders are custom-made - they don't start working on your tie until they get your order.

The prices on their website are for their standard ties. They're happy to make their ties longer (and perhaps wider, although they're already 9.5cm wide as standard) for only an extra $10 or $15 per tie.

They offer express shipping via FedEx as an option.

With regard to wedding ties, you could always change ties between the ceremony and the reception. That gives you the opportunity to wear a classic tie to your ceremony and then a more colourful, vibrant tie to your reception, where you can kick up your heels.

That said, I agree with tchoy above - PoW ties are great and I've got several in different scales and colourways.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  12. aget19

aget19 Member

Cool, I think that's a great idea. Now I get to ask the obligatory question - any suggestions on where to have a look for something like you're suggesting?

13. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Well-Known Member

Depending on your budget Henry Bucks has some Boglioli jackets on sale at the moment, among other things. The Bogliolis start at $595.

14. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Well-Known Member

MJ Bale has multiple sports coats as part of their new collection. I'd avoid the peak lapel ones. I've seen them in a dark navy, a brown, a speckled navy and a light navy, a grey windowpane and a light navywith horrible contrast pickstitching (to avoid). All at a price of $499.

Ralph Lauren sells a couple of heavier/patterned sportscoats in a brown flannel and a green flannel. These are pretty pricey at over $1k.

The Harrolds sale starts tomorrow and you might find some great sportscoats from Pal Zileri, Caruso and Corneliani (ignore Tom Ford, Brioni etc unless you are made of money).

As mentioned, the Henry Bucks sale is on and Boglioli makes plenty of very nice, but slim fitting, jackets. Also has plenty of Zegna and a few Canali jackets.

I haven't checked out Herringbone's new collection yet, but they might have a few.

Brooks Brothers will be open in David Jones stores by the end of the month and will almost definitely have some sportscoats

If you are willing to look online, start with Suit Supply in the Havana cut and Howard Yount.

15. lukejackson

lukejackson Well-Known Member

Anyone one know a source for supergas? Last time i got a pair from asos for 45, now they are $90...just looking for a classic navy pair.

16. ovlov

ovlov Well-Known Member

So who is right here? I got my groomsmen varying shades of dark blue grenadine ties. That better not have been a faux pas

Great. That sounds like the perfect option, except for the daunting task of trying to sneak past the future missus that my tie budget's ballooned out to about $500.
    In case I do pull off such a miracle, does that mean I can wear pretty much anything at the reception (eg whacky vintage grenadines/paisleys/madders/etc)?![​IMG]

17. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Bonapartes is the best for a reasonably priced and possibly the widest range of Sportcoats for normal people I've seen. Open Sundays too and late-ish until 7 pm some nights..
    He also has a great selection of classic odd trousers - not cheap but a good classic variety as well as some more dandyish stuff. In fact I think its one of the few shops in Melbourne I've walked into that has nice true flannel trousers on the rack. Small owner run shop - chat to him.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  18. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Not being a smarty - but taking a T shirt Up must be the simplest of sewing tasks after re-sewing a button and darning socks and before taking up trousers or darting a shirt.

Its the simplest almost fault proof item to have tailored after purchase to your exact specification - esp. lengthwise.

I suppose I shouldn't remind you that you'll only be wearing it UNDER a shirt in winter anyway ?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  19. sliq

sliq Well-Known Member

http://www.superga.com.au/ ?

1 person likes this.
  20. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Well-Known Member

you make tailoring/alterations sound easy, maybe ill try my hand at sowing a button back on

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.