1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

You never struck me as the Dick Tracy Inspector Gadget type!

This am its reasonably cooler and a high of 33c today, after 38-39c for the weekend, getting a bit jack of this heat and Bondi is too far away.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  2. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

I've hard very good things bout this but am waiting for the first season to finish before watching it. The interesting thing is that the first season will be a complete story by itself. Season 2 will have a new plot and cast. It sounds very good and I'm interested to see how it pans out.

3. lachyzee

lachyzee Well-Known Member

FXH,

SBS has changed frequencies in Melbourne. You (and everyone else in Mel) , will need to re-scan for channels on your TV to pick it up again.

4. lachyzee

Any Melbourne barristers amongst us? If so, shoot me a PM.

5. Geoffrey Firmin

New episode on cable tonight excellent series so far very left of centre police drama. Also House of Cards season 2 begins Saturday night and season 3 has been commissioned and the Rugby is back next weekend.:slayer:

1 person likes this.
  6. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

???

7. aKula

aKula Well-Known Member

If you're in Melbourne; American Tailors sells Albert Thurston. I think Henry Bucks have some too.

8. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

This is outrageous - I'm writing a letter of complaint to.. Geoff Shaw? about those commos at SBS and ABC

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  9. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

He needs his morning coffee, stat.

10. lachyzee

Hah - just looking for advice re. going to the Bar etc.

11. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

And a Good News Item:
    Despite posting intimate pictures of herself on social media every other day, Lara Bingle wants her privacy back. At least that's what she told a Woman's Day photographer last week, reportedly saying she wants to leave Australia.

“Sydney's my home but I don't like it,” the 26-year-old model told the photographer, “I can't even go to the supermarket without being papped [photographed by the paparazzi].”

Her threat to leave the country sounds a little hollow, however, after her 2012 reality television show Being Lara Bingle where she was followed by cameras every day, and her exclusive magazine deals during her relationship with Test cricket captain Michael Clarke

12. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Well-Known Member

Speaking of recolouring shoes (as we were a page or two ago), can anyone recommend a brand for touching up black shoes around the heel and cap where the colour has been slightly worn/stripped out over the years?

I know that Saphir does one called Juvacuir, but I couldn't find it in Japan and would rather avoid the hassle of mail order. I think I've seen a Waproo product around the place. I've had cobblers retouch shoes of mine (without asking!) when I've taken them in for repair, so I'm guessing they've used the latter...

13. Foxhound

Foxhound Well-Known Member

True Detective is fantastic, fxh. It's what I look forward to every week.

14. Sartorial Scum

Sartorial Scum Well-Known Member

Harrolds in sydney and Melbourne are apparently doing 50% off on the 12th and 13th

15. Geoffrey Firmin

:brick::censored:

16. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Well-Known Member

If you get any responses to this would you be so kind as to forward those PM's onto me (with posters' approval). My fiancee is final year JD and looking down that route.

17. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

I'm not in Melbourne and I'm not a barrister (although I am in the legal profession) and I'd say that unless you already have a good set of legal contacts before going to the bar, it is very difficult to start out as a baby barrister nowadays.

Squatting in another's chambers seems to be discouraged now, and the cost of setting up your own chambers is significant, particularly when you have virtually nothing coming in.

A colleague of mine did go to the bar a few years ago, but he already had good contacts in law firms and at the bar, so he was a) immediately able to be briefed by law firms and by us and a couple of other govt depts as we knew and trusted him; and b) able to receive referrals from barristers whom he knew as he'd briefed work to them when he was working for us. Without those sorts of connections to rely upon for work, I'd think that it would be very hard work to build up a business.

2 people like this.
  18. sliq

sliq Well-Known Member

agree with JM. maybe have a few friendly contacts with Legal Aid if you're starting off with crime or family. Most counsel in either fields start with that sort of work first.

1 person likes this.
  19. nabilmust

nabilmust Well-Known Member

In a fantastic outburst of boredom, I entered last week's Friday Challenge.

'Straya repre-sent.

1 person likes this.
  20. Arch3r

Arch3r Well-Known Member

That's a tight look, I like it. Seems much more refined then a lot of the other entrants.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.