1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acinod

acinod Well-Known Member

How to become a Loake club member?

2. kayhill

kayhill Well-Known Member

Awesome. I am extremely tempted even though I should be saving up for a big Europe trip later this year...

3. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Well-Known Member

Congrats Coxsakie! I bet you looked damn sharp on the day!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  4. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

OK, a couple of you have pressed me for photos of, or at least sartorial deets regarding, the wedding.

Bride and groom -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My fit: Tom Ford suit, Ascot Chang shirt, Canali tie, Henry Carter PS, Carmina lizard monkstraps.

We decided to ramp things up half way through the reception -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My fit: suit from Stel Lee Bespoke in Shanghai, Canali tie and shoes, TM Lewin PS. The vented section at the back of the suit normally doesn't sit like that, and I should have hoiked my trousers up a little. But hey, they're action shots.

Bride's dresses were both hand-sewn unique pieces, purchased off-the-rack in Suzhou. Fantastic stuff, although I think she would have looked just fine wearing a hessian sack.

Keen observers may spot the location: top end of Bourke St, and the reception venue: The Society Restaurant. Full marks to the Society crew for a great meal with impeccable service.

13 people like this.
  5. CoffeeDudeGuy

CoffeeDudeGuy Well-Known Member

Congrats Coxsackie! And nice fits, both of you!

6. lukejackson

lukejackson Well-Known Member

Damn mate, you're killing it!! Beautiful wife too!

Congratulations.

The linen suit (?) is off the charts.

7. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

What sort of car are you looking at?

The Ford Focus Trend is awesome value - x2 small car of the year, alloy wheels, cruise control and a 5 star ANCAP safety rating.

The new Mazda 3 looks pretty schmick too.

8. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Well-Known Member

What does the Loake club thing actually get you? I have 5 pairs of Loakes, why did I not know about this earlier...

I went into Herringbone today and had a look at what appear to be new season suit basics. I was horrified to see that it appears production has shifted once more, this time from China to Turkey. This wouldn't matter, but it's been accompanied by a cm or two shaved off the lapel (which was pretty much the last decent sized off the rack lapel out there) and the fabric is noticeably worse too. Worse still, these weren't some seasonal suits they are trying out, they were labeled Osaka cut and were navy and charcoal basics. The Osaka suits have now gone from Japan to China to Turkey, with noticeably declines in quality each time. That said, I liked the Chinese ones and thought they were great value on sale. I'm pretty sure this change has only just happened, JM or TBM might know more. The suits I'm talking about aren't even online yet.

This is the final nail in the coffin for Herringbone in my opinion as a good place to recommend someone buy a suit. It appears all standard suits will be made in Turkey, and the MTM ones are made by Van Laack in Germany. I haven't been that impressed by the MTM ones, in particular they have a very strange low notch lapel and just aren't worth it at $1400 or whatever they are. If I had to guess, I'd say MJ Bale has been smashing them in terms of price and stealing customers as a result, so they've gone for a cheaper option. Or, it could just be that this further brings manufacturing and sourcing in line with Van Laack.

9. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Well-Known Member

Actually now I think about it, the new HB suits felt very similar to some Rhodes and Beckett ones I've felt, wouldn't be surprised if they were made in the same place.

10. iSurg

iSurg Well-Known Member

Looking good, Cox. Congrats to you both! Looks like you were having a great time =)

11. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

Loake club is Pediwear only, I think 15% off all Loake after first pair.

1 person likes this.
  12. sliq

sliq Well-Known Member

congrats coxackie. your wife is a stunner! well done.

13. Spinning

Spinning Active Member

Does anyone know where I can sell my 2x unworn MJB suits?

I've had them altered and still hate the fit :(

I know just want to cut my 'losses' sell them for whatever I can - and start over again.

14. Spandexter

Spandexter Well-Known Member

Spinning - how bad can they be?

15. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Well-Known Member

Quote:
    Yeah the New Mazda 3 is quite nice, have owned a 3 and a couple of MX5's in the past, always been very happy with how reliable they are (or maybe I've just been lucky to never have any miss a beat). I've done my time with an affordable and safe car, had the Holden Cruze diesel for the last couple of years now going back to a fun car with the BMW Z4.

That sucks mate, from observations though the second hand suit market is pretty rough in terms of what you might get for them, but yeah your options are basically here, gumtree or ebay.

16. Spinning

Spinning Active Member

Just honestly look crap on me, mate.
    Cheers mate, thought as much. Tough with measurements. Was hoping there was somewhere that would buy second hand clothing, and put it on their racks.

17. TehBunny

TehBunny Well-Known Member

18. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

Which ones and what sizes?

A Cruze diesel? No wonder you want something with a bit of grunt! [​IMG]

You're a bit out of my price range. Good luck on the car hunt!

19. Spandexter

Spandexter Well-Known Member

If you can post a photo we can help with either confirming that or perhaps assisting you when you go to buy your next suit?

20. Spinning

Spinning Active Member

Inverell Navy
    and
    Norwood Grey

38R jacket (brought in at the waist and sleeves slightly shortened)
    30 Pants

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.