1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

Exactly.

2. Spandexter

Spandexter Well-Known Member

I wore one in December when I had my photo taken with Santa.....haha.

1 person likes this.
  3. blahman

blahman Well-Known Member

Just ordered some TM Lewins from Australian site.
    With some code stacking, got 3 shirts of "John Francomb Fully Fitted" range and a wool tie for $143.88 with free shipping.

4. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Anyone know where to get very cheap plain "silk" knots for double cuff shirts? Cheaper is better

5. Nolvadex

Nolvadex Well-Known Member

they are pretty cheap on ebay

6. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

I'm the "pants man".

1 person likes this.
  7. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

PoP - very droll, especially for a joke posted at 4:00 in the morning!

8. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

He was still on the job.

1 person likes this.
  9. lennier

lennier Well-Known Member

TM Lewin, Collins St or Myer.

Edit: missed the 'very' cheap bit, Lewin probably don't cut it for what I expect you're wanting to do with them.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  10. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Well-Known Member

They're all of 3990 yen here in Tokyo, I was a little worried in the quality though. JM, I know you have some: how do they last?

Other option is some Okinawa-made sugarcanes in 14.5oz denim. They cost a little more...

11. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

If it suits your face go for it, great frames IMHO

Ps Fuck IKEA!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  12. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

TFP, I've got a few pairs and I've never had a problem with them. My oldest pair is, I think, seven or eight years old and they're still going strong although (due to my legs) they're now showing a bit of wear in between the thighs at the top of the legs.

The denim's been durable and the construction is fine - no burst seams, no stitching has come undone or anything like that. I've found them to be very comfortable and, as long as you find a cut/fit that you like, I think that they're great value for money.

13. Arch3r

Arch3r Well-Known Member

On suitability of dress in the office I think that there is a balance you need to find for yourself. For example, I work in IT in Newcastle and spend most days in dress pants and a business shirt. However the one or two days spent a week in Sydney HQ I'll suit up + tie. I made the mistake early on and wore a tie + suit + pocket square daily I found that it just put people on edge, particularly in Newcastle. The comment earlier about proving yourself before over dressing I think is especially pertinent, build a reputation as someone who can be relied on and as a high performer then slowly start to wear things you wouldn't normally.

As for pocket squares I love them and would wear them daily however I struggle to get away with them even when I'm in Sydney. I think this has a lot to do with the degrading dress of men in general professional or no, I got quite the peacocking name the few times I sported one, in addition to the 9000 questions about what wedding I was attending.

Remember your place, I'm quite young (mid-late 20s) and am not in senior management (yet) so I will continue to take cues from our CIO and my manager with regard to what is acceptable re dress.

In other news just ordered my first pair of 'real' shoes from doublemonk! C&J Hallam in black with countersunk toe plates :D. Also received my 5x MJ Bale shirts for $200 the other day (Prince Poplin White) cloth is great so is fit. The cuffs though.... Are AWFUL! Their huge and the button holes are right on the edge. Wonder if it's worth replacing the cuffs? The more MJ Bale stuff I buy the more disappointed I am with the brand, Herringbone isn't much better these days. Guess it's time for me to hit up suitshop or PJ

Flannel dress pants - Anyone got some leads? Been looking at epaulet but a bit dubious about buying pants online without trying...

14. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

I might have some at home you can have.

15. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Yes you'd be right. Over 90% of shirts we have are double cuff and while we have lots of fairly plain cuff-links they are often over the top for most interviews. I've been searching for very plain cheap ~$2 "silk" knots - I do remember seeing them in a $2 shop or something years ago - or I have seen some which are two buttons held by a bit of elastic - they would be just perfect as it would enable turning a double cuff into something like a simple barrel cuff..

16. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Well-Known Member

Oli those glasses will make your Bateman transformation complete.

Foxy, I'm gonna smash you.

And fxh I bought about 50 silk knots online for $10 - I'll give you some for free (fine, maybe a sneaky tug) if you want them. They are hilariously $5 ea at TM Lewin.

17. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Well-Known Member

Booked.

18. thebrownman

thebrownman Well-Known Member

Moving to Richmond, 3121, in a couple of weeks. Anyone who resides in the area, get in touch :D

19. tobiasj

tobiasj Well-Known Member

Maybe I have an unusual take on this whole dressing-appropriately-for-your-workplace thing, but for mine, wearing a tie with a shirt and a pocket square with a jacket is no more or less than 'correct'. I'm not going to dress incorrectly just because my workmates do. What, am I going to pretend to be bad at Excel, just because my boss is? Nah bro, doesn't make sense.

2 people like this.
  20. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Well-Known Member

Trigger warning: clothing rant

There have been some good comments about this issue from various posters. Clearly, you need a personality to back up the way you dress or you will come across a prick. Either be a really nice guy, or at least be pretty laid back and poke a fair bit of fun at yourself. As Coxsackie said, never, ever, talk about clothes, lest in addition to being the guy that looks up himself, now people will think you are judging them for what they are wearing. As GN and others said, it's such a fine line between standing out just enough that people remember you and being the "fashion" guy. This relates quite a bit to the comments a few pages back about compliments from women. Ideally, people should think of you as "well dressed", but they shouldn't be quite able to put their finger on specifically why. If something consistently grabs a woman's (or anyone's) attention like "nice shirt", it's probably a bit garish. I only pay particular attention to women's comments because most men don't care, and women are used to noticing colour and details which stand out, because that is they way many of them dress. Listen to when women compliment each other, it's when one of them rocks up with a very noticeable new designer bag, sunnies, a colourful dress or patent leather heels. Tasteful minimalism does not garner many compliments for females, unfortunately. Menswear, particularly in the office, is more about looking good whilst dressing with tradition in mind and without standing out noticeably.

As pointed out by Jimmy Rustle, you really don't want anyone to recall you based on the way you are dressed until after you have established yourself as hopefully being a good employee. This can be tricky if you're used to dressing a certain way, I personally don't see any outfit as complete until there is a pocket square. Usually just white linen/cotton, I think it just balances out the chest so much better. Unfortunately, many people see even a plain pocket square as being wanky, so maybe leave it at home for a while until you've settled in. Then again (and I speak from personal experience) some people are going to look for every excuse they can get to think that you're a wanker. Nice guys will not have this issue, but the world needs Unnamed Players and DartagnanReds to highlight the GNs and JMs.

The most important thing to remember is the reality that most people really don't care. If you're a junior, everyone is too busy trying to advance their career, stay sane and watch their ass to care whether your tie is polyester or foulard silk. If you're comfortable in what you're wearing and are a good employee, nothing else matters. If you look uncomfortable in your clothes, you will look like a wanker. I saw some stupid thing on tumblr the other day with a good quote from Yves Saint Laurent that was something along the lines of "elegance is forgetting what you are wearing". Now clearly this isn't strictly true, and reading into it too much results in a fascination with an unfortunately hijacked and abused Italian word rhyming with mezzapura, buuuutttt it's something nice to keep in mind though, if it looks like you are dressing each morning to impress, you're just going to be rightly or wrongly reviled by plenty of others. "Dress to impress" is a horrible saying. You should be impressing people in other ways, and your clothing should be just a backdrop.

A test I've found is that if you buy some new item, say a new tie or a pair of shoes and wear them to the office, if you get multiple looks or compliments from people who you don't really know, it's probably because something doesn't look quite right. Not necessarily the item itself, but they're noticing because you don't look at ease in what you're wearing. Do this a few times, and you just became the fashion guy and you will be remembered as such.
    Styleforum seems to present two sort of extremes at times for classic menswear. Either you're a Manton/[​IMG] fanatic for rules and conservative tradition, or you're a bracelet wearing #sprezz hero. As with most things, the ideal position is probably somewhere in the middle. I appreciate the irony given I've just dished out a few rules myself.

Rant finis.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.