1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

Can anyone see Brookes Brothers taking off here?

2. thebrownman

thebrownman Well-Known Member

Brooks Brothers, perhaps. Brookes Brothers, I'm not so sure. Australians can be quite discerning, as the article says.

Haha, sorry mate, just f--king around. Dunno, man, perhaps JM, FXH and those far more knowledgeable than myself can weigh in...

3. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Well-Known Member

I would potentially buy some of the oft fabled slim fit oxford shirts, but that's about it unless there was something on sale. Chances are they won't even stock them here and it will become a dumping ground for unsold overseas stock ala Ralph Lauren under Oroton.

4. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

I was after those printed floral ones with matching jacket.

5. The Ernesto

I have some BB chinos that I really like. Would defo check their stuff out here, but with only low expectations buying.

6. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

BB make some great stuff and I have some of their ties, odd jackets, trousers and shoes (the latter made for them by C&J and Alfred Sargent).

I do have doubts about their success here, though, as they don't have the same name recognition here as RL and I'm sure that the prices will be high.

7. The Ernesto

8. The Ernesto

Don't think this will be a problem if they have in store concessions. Plus I think with the internet these days their brand recognition among people who care enough about this stuff would be high enough. Will be interesting though. Will definitely be a sales destination and I think they will also have an outlet store in Melbourne (in the same way RL has).

9. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Well-Known Member

RL outlet is good for a few select things, but otherwise it's horribly bad.

Preston pants though (big boy chinos, high rise), for $50 is nice. Value proposition decreases once you factor in hemming and seriously massive leg slimming, but hey, it's RTW.

10. nabilmust

nabilmust Well-Known Member

There's a reason this happens: the weather cycle in the Southern Hemisphere.

It means that their stock for Australia (and, Brazil, for instance) has to be (1) specially set aside or (2) produced specifically for this market.

Option (1) means we get the tail end stocks of, say, A/W 2013 or S/S 2013. Or in other words, unsold overseas stock.

Option (2) means the goods we get are more expensive due to a smaller batch of production.

Zara has been an exception because of its massive production scale and capacity, and its position as an FMCG (lower cost than Ralph Lauren and BB). I brought up Brazil above because they entered the Australian markets around the same time they entered the Brazilian market -- similar weather cycles.

Caveat: The first sentence of my post is sourced from a concrete statement, direct from a a PR agent for Club Monaco. The rest are my deductions, which, by simple reference to my mortality, is fallible.

1 person likes this.
  11. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

I happily shopped at the BB discount outlet in Carlsbad, CA when I was over there. They do some good shoes, and the BBGF range can be pretty good also. I have a sneaking vice of buying their non-iron shirts when I see them in op shops. I know, I know, but they fit me well.

Their ranges are complicated and sizing can be a bit weird, but I would definitely check out their sales, as I do with RL. I suspect their normal pricing in Australia will be intimidating, especially with the $AU slide lately.

12. lukejackson

lukejackson Well-Known Member

Is the quality of suede graded in any particular way? I'm assuming loake shoemaker line suede is lower-mid tier?

13. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

I have numerous items from BB shirts,OCBD, trousers and ties. The trousers in particular the pleated ones suit me fine also it's nigh on impossible to get OTR pleated trousers here.

Looking forward to trying on a few suit styles to see which one fits best for the US sales great markdowns.

But I wonder if they will behave like J Crew and force you to buy through an Australian site.

14. The Ernesto

Yes, I only ever bought the same particular things there.

15. The Ernesto

THREE WAYS TO MAKE SUEDE

by David Isle

“Suede” is one of those words used to describe a group of different things that most people think of as all the same. Like “Africa,” or “blogger.” Suede generally refers to any leather that has a “nap” to it – that is, loose fibers that give the material a soft, velvety feel, and a deep color. There are three different ways such a finish is achieved.

Like most flat objects, an animal’s hide has two sides. The side that faces out while the animal is alive is called the “grain side.” The other side, which faces the animal’s flesh, is called the “flesh side”. The grain side has fine, short fibers that polish up to the smooth finish on a leather dress shoe. Suede uses other parts of the hide, where fibers are longer and less dense.

Most suede is “split suede,” which you see below on a pair of Buttero sneakers. This means that it is made using a slice of the hide rather than the entire thing. Some hides might be split in two, with the grain side becoming “top grain” leather, and the flesh split becoming split suede. Other hides might be thick enough to be split in three, with the middle split also becoming split suede. Since split suede uses only a fraction of the total hide, it’s thinner, more pliable, and also cheaper. However, it’s also less durable. Since much of split suede will be using the middle of the hide, which has the longest, least dense fibers, the nap will generally be rougher.

Higher quality shoemakers usually use “reverse” leather instead of split suede. They use the entire hide, unsplit, but make the shoe with the flesh side facing out rather than the grain side. For instance, “reverse calf” would be the flesh side of calf leather, which you see on the Vass brogues above and the Heschung boots below. This produces a more durable shoe, usually with a finer nap.

Finally, “nubuck” uses the grain side, but sanded down. Since the grain side has shorter, denser fibers, the finish is very fine, almost like a freshly sanded piece of wood. It especially suits a suede shoe that’s intended to be dressier.

These are generalizations; the softness and fineness of the nap will also depend on how the hide is tanned and buffed. But knowing the different types of suede will help you understand which one suits each shoe style best.

http://www.nomanwalksalone.com/index.php/newsroom/

2 people like this.
  16. lukejackson

lukejackson Well-Known Member

17. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

A crazy question - I know that some people with too much time on their hands have purchased shoes in one colour, then stripped the shoes back and dyed them and polished them to make them another colour.

Has anyone tried this with sneakers? Or does anyone think that it could be possible? Or am I insane for even thinking of doing it?

18. joiji

joiji Well-Known Member

Nike type sneakers or CP type sneakers?

19. blahman

blahman Well-Known Member

Found out tooth paste can strip colour off leather... I used it once to try and clean my pair of high tops... i cleaned way too much off it....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.