1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

Whichever you go for, just be wary of the differences in blocks between what you have and what you intend to order. I think the SU2 block (Mudgee, Armidale, Zoff) is a bit slimmer cut than the JA2 (also called Sydney block) as in the Norwood/Inverell.

Best way to tell what's what is by the product code, which usually starts with the block e.g. "JA2032W13-navy".

1 person likes this.
  2. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

That's just a bit too #menswear for my taste - a checked suit with a checked overcoat (the overcoat having a bright red overcheck), about a dozen bead bracelets, sunglasses in a bright, contrasting colour, lapel flowers, extremely colourful socks that clash with everything else, plus the logo-clad, name-brand briefcase emblazoned with someone's initials. At least their ties are restrained!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
    4 people like this.
  3. md2010

md2010 Well-Known Member

looks too clownish to me. Don't look natural - looks too try-hard (in my opinion).

1 person likes this.
  4. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Well-Known Member

Not sure if enough accessories....can probably fit some beads on the ankles.

1 person likes this.
  5. Nolvadex

Nolvadex Well-Known Member

he has some more beads on downstairs

6. Prince of Paisley

Those criticising the bros for the number of accessoaries they are wearing and the general flamboyance of their dress are missing the point. When you attend a circus like Pitti Uomo, it pays to dress like a clown.

I think they are very well dressed for their context in this instance. Maybe not if they worked in a cubicle crunching spreadsheets but they wouldn't get a second look in Florence at this time of year in this garb.

Perhaps we could raise some funds to send Oli to the next Pitti in his RMs and plain suits and ties and see what sort of reception he gets? My bet is they would elect him Pope.

1 person likes this.
  7. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

I'd fit right in.

Wouldn't be game to tell Chris he looks like a clown - that guy's shoulder development puts most rugby players to shame.

1 person likes this.
  8. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

what is it with the beads? have I missed something?

9. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

These are perfect! now to find some.. anyone have advice on sizing?

As for clothes near term ive currently ordered:
    - Wide peak lapel + patch pocket light grey linen sports jacket
    - navy, dark brown and grey cotton trousers to beat around in
    - New shirts (my weight has finally stabilised)

Ive got my eyes peeled for:
    - black suede shoes
    - boots (like above)
    - a good wide set pinstripe fabric for a suit

10. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

The gypsies have rolled into town

11. joiji

joiji Well-Known Member

Thought I'd ask the worldly travelers of the thread for some advice regarding an overseas holiday. Am hoping to spend a few weeks in Europe post graduation, before starting gainful employment, anywhere anyone would recommend? Would love to check out some fabric mills/tanneries/wholesalers around there, as well as the general touristy things if anyone has any recommendations for Europe. Travel plans are currently entirely undecided, so any and all suggestions are welcomed.

12. sliq

sliq Well-Known Member

i was just thinking about this last night!! still gotta come in and see you. i'm guessing the traveling tailor won't venture out to parramatta? [​IMG]

13. Foxhound

Foxhound Well-Known Member

I'd say they run TTS. I'm a 43 in Margeila and Common Projects, 8.5F UK in Church's and a 10US in Nike.

I personally think Chris is one of the best, if not the best dressed man in "Australian #menswear Scene". Never met Nick.
    [​IMG]

As far as Nick's 'fit goes.The socks are okay, but the bracelets look dumb. The slippers are cool in the fact that they've got the double monk logo on the front, so it's fitting. Not a fan of the matching overcoat though. I'm also not a fan of the lapel pin but hey whatever floats your boat.

14. Prince of Paisley

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

You're going to go to Europe to look at tanneries? Hmmm.

15. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Well-Known Member

In Europe I hear exclusively good things about Poland.

"Europe" is pretty vague though - as is the timeline - if you were there for 2 weeks the suggestions would be different than if you were there for 4.

16. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

Snatched my first pair of Ferragamos today with my missus on sale, comfort level pretty much like walking in snickers.

She vetoed against horse bit buckle so we can Vara buckle match... :embar:

though looking at them side by side remind me of The Ugly Duckling!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

If I were going back I'd probably go back to Italy (Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples and Sorrento) before going to Southern France and see a bit of Spain.

Italy felt like an eclectic mix of everything - pieces of Etruscan, Roman, Gallic, Medieval and Renaissance architecture rolled into one - a lot of flair and nightlife too.

I wouldn't go back to Sweden or Finland though (at least in winter) - its bitterly cold and impossible to get around, not a lot to see either.

1 person likes this.
  18. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Well-Known Member

Quote:
    What would make this immediately more "natural" and less "hard" looking is a less spread collar. I normally call bulls**t on rules like spread collars are for people with narrow faces and less spread for rounder faces, but this is a good example of why that rule exists. Chris always uses a spread collar, and also uses a strangely tied large knot, which makes his upper body look too bulky and "MJ-Bale-look-book-ish". Like an NRL player in a crappy fashion shoot.

But then again, I'm just a cocky thinks-he-knows-it-all uni student, Chris is immeasurably better dressed than I ever will be, and my only experience of Pitti is the look I get from my father when he sees me leave the house in blue suede tassel loafers.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
    2 people like this.
  19. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

I really prefer the white plaid on the navy suit than the red.

20. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Well-Known Member

Wurger, you have probably the nicest shoe collection of anyone on this thread, with your only challenger being Gerry. Comfort aside, choosing to wear those Ferragamos on any day seems a bit like having a fleet of Maseratis, but choosing to take a PT Cruiser for a spin.

Again, just another lowly opinion of a slovenly university nobody.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.