1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

I've been doing some writing and research on this stuff. Plus as a practicality and curiosity measurement hundreds of jackets in many many low end, mid end and high end brands etc.

Very short version.
    There is no Australian Standard sizing in men or women. There was an old sizing but not always followed and not mandated.
    There is technically a UK sizing but its not mandated.
    There is technically a USA standard but its not mandated. There is also a USA "standard" called USA catalogue (or as they say catalog) sizing. But its not mandated.
    USA catalog sizing will often say 34" waist but real measurements 35". You'll have even see this on higher end retailers such as Howard Yount's sizing. Have a look.
    There is a EU standard, EN 13402, finalised in 2006 - 2007, that included multi dimensions and recommendations for simple graphics to describe sizes on some useful basic measurements. However it is still not necessarily in wide use and is not mandated although it does appear that the Spanish maybe be the first to mandate it.

So basically there are no mandated standards. Even if they are mandated it then depends on if the mandate is to be applied in country of manufacture - if you can work that out - or point of sale. Probably point of sale country.

So.

The "tradition" is that mens suit/jacket sizes go by chest measurements. That is a size 40 suit (50 in EU just to make it confusing) was for a 40 inch chest. [to add to even more confusion - only UK and USA use inches or non metric to any real extent] The drop refers to the difference in chest size and waist size. The usual drop was 6 ' - that is a size 40 chest would have a size 34 waist. But there is also drop 5 and 7 relatively common. Of course there can be any drop.

Shoulder width /size can and does wander around all over the place. I have jackets from size 39 through to 42 all with shoulder size 18" to 18.5"

An R equals regular size. S traditionally was 1" shorter in sleeves and length than an R.
    An L was 1" longer in sleeves and length than an R.
    But there is no rule that mandates this anywhere. But many manufacturers stick roughly to these rules.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
    4 people like this.
  2. click here

click here Well-Known Member

So Brook Brothers is having 40% off Filson bags today only but they don't ship to Australia. Was wondering if anyone here know of any good US proxy websites?

EDIT: Actually I think they do ship to Australia, the postage is $50...

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  3. sliq

sliq Well-Known Member

priceusa or shipito

4. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Yep, BB does ship to Australia. They use a courier service (I can't remember if it's DHL or Fedex) so delivery is faster than with the US Postal Service but the downside is that they don't deliver to a PO Box.

5. Nolvadex

Nolvadex Well-Known Member

1 unit(s) expected to ship on 02/10/14

2 month wait? no thanks​

6. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Well-Known Member

From my very poorly executed but well meaning question, you've summed up that query nicely. Thanks FXH.

I must be a bloody drop 8 

7. kayhill

kayhill Well-Known Member

Drop 8 is fairly common in lines made for younger men. E.g. Z Zegna.

1 person likes this.
  8. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

BB uses Fedex for shipping to Oz. If your not home they won't leave it. They do offer an option of picking up from the depot which I've done in the past.

Just had a look very good price on the FFS and Cordovan wallets also toiletries bags. Very good value even with the shipping fee.

9. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

Like all other measurements proportions change from one person to the next.

While ten different guys may all be 6 foot and 40chests, some have long torso, short legs, some have long legs, short torso. To add confusion some OTR brands will cut short or cut long.

Technically ones jacket length (ie bottom of collar to bottom of seat) should be the exact length of the bottom of the jacket to the ground. This of course is overridden by visual cues such as arm length and torso length and ones overall body shape. So technical rules are never perfect.

We would also cut jackets varying length based on style (db vs sb), use (suit vs sc) and even colour (light looks longer than dark)

1 person likes this.
  10. nabilmust

nabilmust Well-Known Member

I think there is an antiquated one for SF members.

I knew the force was strong with this one.

11. deingesicht

deingesicht Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  12. Foxhound

Foxhound Well-Known Member

13. deingesicht

deingesicht Well-Known Member

These don't fit my shoes, hence why I'm selling them. I now have 4 spare trees that I will keep

1 person likes this.
  14. Foxhound

Foxhound Well-Known Member

Jimmy Hoffa pulling out the big guns in the ST Crispins MTO group order.

1 person likes this.
  15. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Well-Known Member

$1680!! Maybe i should get into the trolling business...

16. Dandolf

Dandolf New Member

Hey,
    How did you go with this site?
    Dirt cheap and free shipping seems too good to be true ay?
    Did you purchase? If so, how did you get on?
    Cheers
    Dan

17. Dandolf

Dandolf New Member

Hey,
    How did you go with this site?
    Dirt cheap and free shipping seems too good to be true ay?
    Did you purchase? If so, how did you get on?
    Cheers
    Dan

18. pang

pang Member

Hi all,

Looking for a good tailor in Brisbane to some suit alterations. Taking in the sides of a jacket.

Found some good reviews on Richards & Richards but that thread has been inactive for a long time and the last post says they only alter for clothing bought in-store.

Anyone care to comment on this or recommend someone else? Don't mind paying extra as long as it justifies the quality and work.

Thanks.

19. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

Good stuff. Fingers crossed he wins - not long to go now.

1 person likes this.
  20. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

Journeyman or one of the other Brisbane members might be able to provide some information here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.