• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sesame Seed
Herringbone CQ, Ethan's old stomping ground, is now one to avoid. They are pretty poor at fitting and the gent on hand had very little knowledge when it came to Crockett and Jones (unfortunately, he seems to be in charge). They also have a limited variety of CJs in regards to colour/size.

+1.

My last two HBone purchases were from the Chifley Plaza store. SA there used to work with Ethan, and has some idea at least.

The guy running the CQ store seems pretty clueless. Nice guy, but he doesn't really know his product.
confused.gif

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin
Its not just Gen Y who are guilty of this crime. Have a peek at DJ's or Myers at sale time and you'l see Boomers and other (Ha!) Men being lead around like prize bulls by the wife as she makes their clothing choices for them based on what is the cheapest item on the rack. Those guilty of this crime should spend an eternity wearing 100% polyester underwear and safari suits.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

strazzaque

Reaction score
Yes, yes I am, re Preston and Jensen.
smile.gif
Open Wednesday-Sunday during March is MJ Bale’s Oxford Street pop-up store - 416 Oxford St., Paddington - is selling its unique samples (i.e one-of-a-kinds) and vintage stock. Shirts start at $50. Get in quick to grab a bargain.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by strazzaque
Welcome!

Check out MJ Bale @ www.mjbale.com. The brainchild of ex-Herringbone partner, Matt Preston. Some larger DJs stock them, otherwise, recommend their Sydney boutiques, if you're in NSW. Their site should provide location details.

I love them. Have 2 shirts and 2 suits, both natural shoulder, working buttonholes and quality wool.

Alternatively, Herringbone has an outlet in Surry Hills, NSW. MJ Bale's is in the QVB. Sorry, not sure if you're in NSW or not.

When MJ Bale throws a sale (that rhymes!), the deals aren't too shabby.

Picked up a nice light gray chalkstripe for $475 with alterations (fully canvassed, surgeon's cuffs, peak lapel 1-button).

Will try to give everyone a heads up when they come around again.

Cheers.

jhof5421

Reaction score
Has anyone here bought from plal recently?

About to pull the trigger on some C&J's and just wondering how long I can expect for delivery to take.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW you guys looking at these so-called "English" shirt merchants do know that they are all made in China, India, Bangladesh etc. EU law doesn't force makers to disclose the country of origin and they exploits this by leaving it off altogether.

So really they should call themselves Tien Ming Liew-Is and Toh-Mas Ping-Kuh. The way they harp on about being Jermyn St shirtmakers is just total advertising BS. The shirting they use is also from developing countries and certainly not English. It's dirt cheap stuff, with designs knocked off from English and Italian shirting merchants, is of variable batch to batch quality and not always particularly durable.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not sure anyone buying 4 for 100 pound shirts was under the illusion that they were of superb quality

on that note, can anyone recomend a good english shirt maker who you can purchase from on the internet? i notice Drakes has some nice ginghams

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But if it came off TienMingLiew-Is.co.cn you probably wouldn't be discussing it here, I would suggest. Hey, advertising works - all that "Jermyn St" this, "Savile Row" that and other name dropping and cultivation by the ad agency of a Best of British image got you looking, didn't it? You thought the grass was greener on the other side of the fence, away from Oz, when in reality it's probably made in the same Chinese factory as Country Road "Australia" (sic) shirts. Yes, advertising works. We've all been taken for a ride at some time in our lives.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have a few white TM Lewin shirts in my draw at work for emergencies. i dont think they are much better than country road in construction or quality but i hate most of the menswear available at country road -superfluous pockets and buttons on sleave elbows etc

the good thing about the the so called english makers is you can find your fit and be sure that they have a big range of reasonably normal english styled shirts...

anyway, would love recomendations for good shirt makers which make a decent OTR slim fit shirt and sell online

lennier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
But if it came off TienMingLiew-Is.co.cn you probably wouldn't be discussing it here, I would suggest. Hey, advertising works - all that "Jermyn St" this, "Savile Row" that and other name dropping and cultivation by the ad agency of a Best of British image got you looking, didn't it? You thought the grass was greener on the other side of the fence, away from Oz, when in reality it's probably made in the same Chinese factory as Country Road "Australia" (sic) shirts. Yes, advertising works. We've all been taken for a ride at some time in our lives.
Not sure I agree with the implications here. I don't know of anyone who's bought shirts from places like Lewin on the basis of believing them to be made in the UK. Personally I couldn't care less where a garment is made. Lewin and their like are popular for very simple reasons: their shirts are better made and better fitting than anything much you can buy here for less than 3-4 times the price, simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads