1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

Why don't we just bring tariffs back to protect our industries and be done with it?

And while we're at it, thaw out Ben Chifley and nationalise the banks.

2. Prince of Paisley

Not as good as the original Three Doctors 10th anniversary episode with the best Doctor of all...

Jon Pertwee.

3. Foxhound

Foxhound Well-Known Member

4. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

All linen everything today oooo yeah

1 person likes this.
  5. sliq

sliq Well-Known Member

come on romp, you can't say that and not post any fit pics!

6. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Well-Known Member

Sadly that jacket has no buttonhole on the lapel, and egregiously ugly machine stitching along the lapels...

7. kayhill

kayhill Well-Known Member

Don't mind if I do ... wool/linen suit and suede loafers.

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  8. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Well-Known Member

^^^ love some loafer on suit action. Not game to do it myself, but I love it.

Also, nice to see a tie of a solid width (9.5cm?)...

9. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Yes, it quite frankly looks as though MJ Bale is repeating precisely the same mistake that they made when they had a pop-up store here a couple of years back, although this one looks a bit more flash.

From what I could see from a brief look, all of the suits are made-in-China with none of their higher-end, made-in-Japan line in the store (or if there were, there weren't many of them) and the vast majority of the suits had narrow lapels. There were a couple of cotton suits that had egregiously unattractive pick-stitching in a contrasting colour all over them. Their previously-good polo shirts now have an elephant logo on the breast. A nice navy-and-white mini-houndstooth check jacket would have been good were it not for the fact that the lapel buttonhole was stitched in bright red, and so on.

I know that MJ Bale makes some good stuff - well-tailored suits, DB jackets and more - but where is it? It never seems to make its way up to Brisbane.

10. kayhill

kayhill Well-Known Member

9cm.

Yeah it's nice having a 'wider' tie. Though I do like to think 8-9cm should be standard. 7cm ties ... they're just not quite as satisfying.

11. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

The Chinese suits are an excellent starting point IMO - you don't see that kind of value until you're going M2M with Suit Shop.

Their shirts, ties and casual wear is rubbish though. Shame, because I could really see an Australian equivalent of TM Lewin taking off.

12. Forensick

Forensick Member

Got told to post here too.

Hey.
    Been lurking here for a while, and reading things here have almost made me more confused.
    I am after a suit for my wedding essentially, but to justify the expense i want something with longevity and use beyond a single day.
    The thing is i don't wear suits for work, so basically just dinner, theatre, other peoples weddings etc
    However because of that i want something slightly more fashion/stylish rather than "buisnessy"
    i am 6'2, 90kg and quite large across the shoulders.
    The only suit i own is an anthony squires bondi, which at the time of purchasing was the only thing, in my price range, that fit well in the shoulders. The arms are a little short though. The pants needed a fair bit of adjusting.
    I tried on a tom ford at harrolds the other day, and omg it was amazing!
    off the rack it fit better than anything i have ever worn, even the sleeves which are apparently on the long side for RTW were nearly ideal. I quite liked the peak lapel, and actually suprised myself at how much i liked the higher waisted, non-belt looped pants.
    the problem is, while my budget isn't that restrictive, $6800 is a bit much :(
    from what i have read here it is hard to go bespoke in melbourne when looking fashion over buisness, ESPECIALLY when not having done it before.
    So, what should i do?
    HELP!

or the link to my thread: http://www.styleforum.net/t/370783/suit-help-in-melbourne-australia
    depending on which is forum preference

-as i said in my other thread, i wouldn't consider my budget "small" up to $4k ish inc shirt/tie

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  13. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Well-Known Member

With $4,000 you should be able to get a wicked suit, shirt and tie. That's a huge budget!

14. thebrownman

thebrownman Well-Known Member

That's part of the problem.

You said you don't wear suits much/if at all, and bearing this in mind, you should opt for something as "classic" as possible. What this could be has some subjectivity to it, but I'd wager that wider peaked lapels and the signature Tom Ford silhouette doesn't fit within the realm of classic. It'll come back to be a reminder of the "now". I can imagine someone here in particular who'll already disagree with me, and perhaps I'm biased towards another silhouette that's also very much "now". If you want something "fashiony", then do it without overt bells & whistles .. Try a cloth with a subtle texture to it, try patch pockets, softer shoulders, some spalla camicia even, but definitely don't go spending $4000 on OTR because you've got solid MTM options well below that price point. And if you've got $4000, save some for quality shoes, shirt, tie, etc. Save some for your marriage, too. Maybe give me some so I can buy a new cricket bat. Please?

$4000 is a good amount of money to play around with. But, it's just that. Throwing money at an outfit/occasion doesn't make you look any good. Too often it can make people look worse. I was chatting to a certain NabilMust about this (NAME DROP) and I explained that I wouldn't go buying Rubinacci jackets right now because I wouldn't know what I'm appreciating. I'd like it, but I wouldn't fully "get it". It might seem counterintuitive if you have the money to spend less on something that is "not as good" early on, but it takes time to grow an appreciation for things. That's just life. It takes no time to fall in love, but it takes you years to know what love is. Clothes are almost the same.

Sorry I didn't answer your question.

1 person likes this.
  15. sliq

sliq Well-Known Member

pjohnson. And put the rest of the funds into spending money for your honeymoon. or as others have said, shoes, shirt and tie.

16. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

Well put.

Playing in the shallower end can also be just as much, if not more, fun.

PS: A new bat won't help your form. Get that out of your head.

17. thebrownman

thebrownman Well-Known Member

Was never in my head. But Ernesto, there's a (funny) story behind it. Will share at the next meet up :)

18. Prince of Paisley

To be fair the Collection suits are all limited runs and sell out pretty quick. I managed to track down a 40R in Sydney - just - which with 20% off made for pretty good value IMO. It's a very nice suit, fit me about as well as MTM would, and I didn't have to wait 6 weeks for it.

As they open more stores MJB could increase the volume of their higher end suits - or maybe not. They may just not think there is enough of a market in Brissie to sell a $1,200 suit when they carry $500 suits, and perhaps (rightly) this is where their bread is buttered financially.

As an aside someone mentioned they thought that MJB going from full ot half canvas for their Collection line was a sign of a drop in quality. I think that is a gross oversimplification. By that logic, unstructured jackets would be absolute rubbish, given they have no canvas at all. Truth is half canvas is actually generally more appropriate for the Australian climate - try wearing a full canvas suit in summer and you'll see what I mean. The cut, fabric and detailing on MJB's top line suits is better than ever IMO, and comparable/superior with/to RTW from Zegna or Canali that can be twice the price. "Full canvas" is just one of those SF obsessions like Goodyear welting that is bestowed with mystical status, but it isn't the sole qualifier for a quality bag of fruit.

19. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

Sounds good. Bats are so expensive now!

20. Prince of Paisley

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.