1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iSurg

iSurg Well-Known Member

They are in Japan and then going to HK for trunk show. Pretty low odds running into them - time to buy a lotto ticket!!

2. stevecmelbourne

stevecmelbourne New Member

Dear iSurge, Romp, Henry Carter,

I am one of the guys responsible for the Sprezzatura Australia Facebook page.
    I must apologise for posting some of your - and your mates - tumblr/instagram photos without properly referencing.
    It is never my intention to masquerade as the OP of any photos I post.
    Please understand that we are merely aiming to source and share some of the sartorial love to the mainstream.

As soon as I have more time on my hands I will update the page to clearly show this, and as of now I will do my best to give credit instead of lazily just uploading as I have. I can see it's reached the point where we need to get a little more serious about the content.

Anyway, feel free to send me a PM on here or through the Facebook page. Always keen to take on board any input (positive and negative.)

Regards,

Steve

3. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

first catch a taxi to Tulla then jet to Tokyo...

4. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

Done that and am in Tokyo now. What next?

5. couldnthaveknow

couldnthaveknow Well-Known Member

In my opinion in recent times, there seems to be some polarisation in apparel - the top end luxury brands are growing, as are the bottom end basics. Perhaps the consumer's mindset is different - luxury goods are 'aspirational', whereas basics (including fast fashion) are 'disposable'. In many ways perhaps this is the consumer's way of being fashionable and classical at the same time - cheap, but very fashion forward zara for some fast moving items, and quality, classical designs like gucci loafer for keepsakes.

But

I'm not sure that's the affliction of many retailers in Australia though. In my opinion, the likes of DJs, Myer, Harveys, and to some extent JB Hi Fi just aren't very good at doing what they do. A few points

- If Australian retail is stuffed, then no one should do well here. But heaps do! Look at reject shop. Doing very well, rolling out stores like a boss. Super Retail, who owns rebel, super cheap auto, BCF, rays outdoors, amart all sports etc, have grown their like-for-like sales consistently for some time (like for like meaning, the same store compared to last year, which is important because wages go up +3% a year and rents do too, so the same store needs to sell +3% or so to remain profitable). Even the great Michael Kors (joking), they come to Sydney with 1 main store and 1 factory store and just about clean up. Lorna Jane. Kikki K. Peter Alexander. All carving up.

- The answer is probably not the GST. If it is, how come Kogan is so big? If you buy from Kogan, of course you pay GST - they are Australian after all, have ABN. But they can still price under Harveys but a massive margin. JB Hi Fi is kind of in the in between. They have internationally competitive prices on cameras now. They did sell official cameras and gray market parallel import cameras side by side for a while, but that showed Canon / Nikon they were serious.

1 person likes this.
  6. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Off the top of my head Gerry, train from ueno to main shibuyu station, exit out main exit, turn left toward Starbucks on corner, straight up mainish drag toward NHK headquarters, past uniglo and Disney shop on your left. Keep going toward NHK headquarters, before then turn left down smaller street a few blocks, there's a hairdresser on diagonal corner then half a b!lock down on left up stairsin basically a block of suburban flat. I'm pretty sure it came up on Google maps.

I can go get the proper maps if you need. I'm on the tablet doing ii from memory.

1 person likes this.
  7. Gerry Nelson

8. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

couldnthaveknow

Middle section of the market I believe won't pay full price anymore as they have been conditioned to expect discounted prices due to constant state of sales which DJ's Myers HN constantly engage in.

Lux market I have the readies I want it I'll buy fuck the cost its the status of the object and the fact I can which concerns me.

Bottom end of the market too busy making ends meet to care will always go for the cheapest option.

Simple observation I admitt but psychologically sound just ask Dr Pavlov.

Just watched Boardwalk Empire one of the best episodes I have ever seen and season 5 is in production.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  9. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

:laugh:

10. The Ernesto

Only in this thread...

11. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Ive sent an email. See if you can force Google to an English map. You can call me on LINE or text if you want more.

12. nabilmust

nabilmust Well-Known Member

Steve,

While you're at it, think about what exactly you want to contribute to the menswear commotion that already exists.

Localising your work might be a good idea - like how Guiseppe Santamaria does it. Otherwise, you're going to end up just like the other 93718376418736 menswear blogs.

I've always subscribed to the mantra that if I can't add anything constructive to the conversation, I'd rather not add to the noise. But that's just me.

Good luck with your project; I wish you well.

3 people like this.
  13. Gerry Nelson

We aim to please. We're here till Friday - try the fish.
    *badda Bing badda Boom*

Thanks for that. The map seems to work fine. Going to visit Caid and Azabu Tailors tomorrow.

2 people like this.
  14. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

Not to mention they were carrying knives.

15. thebrownman

thebrownman Well-Known Member

Why'd you leave mine out? Asshole...

16. The Ernesto

You might be struggling with the bat, but you are in top form here.

1 person likes this.
  17. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Hey what about my influential Ankles tumblr - foxy just loves it

18. Foxhound

Foxhound Well-Known Member

So fucking confused.

2 people like this.
  19. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

I will try to make it on Thursday evening. Will check this thread for venue details.

20. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Absolutely - the Japan photos on your blog are great, and these two are, IMHO, sensational:

http://gezzaseyes.tumblr.com/post/67950321301/nara-at-sunset

http://gezzaseyes.tumblr.com/post/67950227490/the-journey

The sky, the light, the positioning of the post and the setting sun are fantastic in the first one.

In the second one, I really like the different colours and the softer light. Great work.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.