1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jobro

jobro Well-Known Member

dont really have anything to buy from parker and co really.

Btw with that store in claremont, do you happen to know the phone number? is it the one in bay view tce? sorry, i dont stroll down much to claremont.

reckon i might have any issues with the staff if i dont buy? lol.... since i'm just there to try them on for size [​IMG]

The lane is the the last one on the left hand side of the strip on bay view as you are looking south, it is a couple of shops down from BWS.

Just say your getting gift ideas or they didn't feel quite right if you're that worried about the staff.

2. blahman

blahman Well-Known Member

Just got home and tried on my new Cheaneys... Attachment 64103 Attachment 64104 Surprisingly light weight... lightest pair of shoes I have actually. Walked around a bit at home for a little while and almost killed myself on the carpet. Comfortable, but the last is a bit wider and toe a bit rounder than I prefer though. Does that label on the insole suggest that they're oldish stock?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

Every one needs some blue button downs. Essential. I like the Lands End tailored fit original oxfords - the normal ones you iron.

I am in the market for some button downs in oxford cloth what do you think of LL Bean? There a a couple on CT in their casual range I am contemplating as well.

4. ryanohare

ryanohare Well-Known Member

Every one needs some blue button downs. Essential. I like the Lands End tailored fit original oxfords - the normal ones you iron.

In the US last month, I bought 3 BD shirts in a Gap outlet sale for $30. That's right; $30 for 3. Y'know, 3 of them for thirty d-o-l-l-a-r-s.

They're a lovely slim fit, light blue, pearl buttons, and they iron like a dream. Oh and did I mention I got 3 of them for $30?

5. porschemad911

porschemad911 Well-Known Member

In the US last month, I bought 3 BD shirts in a Gap outlet sale for $30. That's right; $30 for 3. Y'know, 3 of them for thirty d-o-l-l-a-r-s. They're a lovely slim fit, light blue, pearl buttons, and they iron like a dream. Oh and did I mention I got 3 of them for $30?
    Lol, shirts sound nice, but depends on the value ... how much did you have to pay for them? Actually my blue Penny Stock OCBD from B&S (http://www.selectism.com/news/2010/1...-oxford-shirt/) arrived in the mail (forgot I ordered that one) [​IMG] ... it's really nice but needs slimming down at the waist a little.

6. lennier

lennier Well-Known Member

+1.

Excellent value, particularly during one of Lands' End's quite frequent 25-30% off sales (and they might even be having one right now).

I really must get around to buying some more casual shirts, and these sound like a good place to start. Does anyone know how their sizing compares with Lewin? If anyone takes 15.5/33 in a Lewin slim fit and also has some LE stuff I'd appreciate advice on the LE sizes.

7. porschemad911

I really must get around to buying some more casual shirts, and these sound like a good place to start. Does anyone know how their sizing compares with Lewin? If anyone takes 15.5/33 in a Lewin slim fit and also has some LE stuff I'd appreciate advice on the LE sizes.
    I've got a couple of jackets / shirts from the Lands End Canvas range, I'm a 15.5/34.5 in Lewin slim fit (but have to tailor the sides in a bit for a good fit), the size M shirts are LEC is a similar fit to my pre-tailored Lewin slim fit (maybe slightly longer sleeves, but that probably varies depending on the shirt in question). I don't have any stuff from the normal LE range.

8. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

Just got home and tried on my new Cheaneys...

Attachment 64103
    Attachment 64104

Surprisingly light weight... lightest pair of shoes I have actually.
    Walked around a bit at home for a little while and almost killed myself on the carpet.
    Comfortable, but the last is a bit wider and toe a bit rounder than I prefer though.

Does that label on the insole suggest that they're oldish stock?

Are they the O'Toole?

9. lennier

lennier Well-Known Member

I've got a couple of jackets / shirts from the Lands End Canvas range, I'm a 15.5/34.5 in Lewin slim fit (but have to tailor the sides in a bit for a good fit), the size M shirts are LEC is a similar fit to my pre-tailored Lewin slim fit (maybe slightly longer sleeves, but that probably varies depending on the shirt in question). I don't have any stuff from the normal LE range.
    Thanks PM911, sounds like I'd be looking at a small then, since the collar size will be relatively unimportant. Want to buy a 928 btw? :)

10. blahman

Are they the O'Toole?

Yup they are. Seem to be good value for money and I am in need of a replacement pair of black calves.

11. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

Yup they are. Seem to be good value for money and I am in need of a replacement pair of black calves.
    I have been eying them off as well. Tempting, but I am in need more of a good new pair of derbys.

12. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Speaking of Land's End and LE Canvas, it's worth noting that they have an Australian return address. Therefore, if you order something and it doesn't suit you or if you don't like it, you only have to ship it to Sydney, rather than back to the US. It's inexpensive, quick and simple. As for sizing, I have a 44" chest and a 16" neck and I take an "L" in LE Canvas shirts. The standard LE shirts have neck sizing (15.5, 16 etc) and, in my experience at least, the LE slim-fit is just a little slimmer than the standard LE Canvas fit. In other words, the "fit hierarchy" is, in my experience, moving from slimmer to blousier: LE slim-fit; LE Canvas; LE standard fit.

13. ned kelly

ned kelly Active Member

I find the staff at American Tailors very helpful and friendly.I have thought about getting a bespoke suit. Has anyone had a suit made there or know the cost of their suits?

14. meister

meister Well-Known Member

I find the staff at American Tailors very helpful and friendly.I have thought about getting a bespoke suit. Has anyone had a suit made there or know the cost of their suits?

You want the full metal jacket including helmet?[​IMG]

15. Indra

Indra Member

Interesting little video on the cordovan[​IMG] process for those curious

16. couleur

couleur Well-Known Member

Can anyone recommend me a good tailor in Melbourne city who does good workmanship but doesn't rip off their customers?

I used to go to this place called "expert alterations" in royal arcade, bourke street. And the Italian lady who recognize me as a person who always bring in the "good stuff" to alter. She soon charge me from 25 bucks to alter a shirt to fit till 39 bucks, and pants shortening became 20 to 27. And there was once a small stitching came out from the back of my Hugo Boss tie and she ripped me with a charged of 12.50 just to sew back one stitch. I was so pissed off I told her it is just ridiculous and than she waved it off and told me it was fixed priced.

I get pretty pissed off when I see her charge others for much less and when i bargain with her, she keeps telling me the prices are fixed. But I got to say that their workmanship is one of the best i've seen and many people send them clothes to alter.

Anyone who has a better alternative of how i could resolve this problem? [​IMG]

17. blahman

For alterations, Katrina's on lane way just off Bourke near Parliament station.

18. porschemad911

Thanks PM911, sounds like I'd be looking at a small then, since the collar size will be relatively unimportant. Want to buy a 928 btw? :)

Haha, I would love a 928, they sound fantastic, but I'm still enjoying the Ralliart Colt I bought November last year too much to change over to anything else just yet :)

19. porschemad911

Speaking of Land's End and LE Canvas, it's worth noting that they have an Australian return address. Therefore, if you order something and it doesn't suit you or if you don't like it, you only have to ship it to Sydney, rather than back to the US. It's inexpensive, quick and simple.

Cool, thanks for the info! I donated a couple of polos to charity from my last order because I thought it wasn't worth sending them back to the US.

20. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

+1.

Excellent value, particularly during one of Lands' End's quite frequent 25-30% off sales (and they might even be having one right now).

Thanks for mentioning this. I went there last night and picked up a couple of OCBD one for work and the Hyde Park for social situations with postage it came to $72 Oz, some pundits are predicting that the $ will hit $1.15 in May. Will try the LLBean site later today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.