1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. couldnthaveknow

couldnthaveknow Well-Known Member

Cool story! Half way through reading it I thought it was going to end badly - you're right, if one finds themselves in a situation such as yours, watch forums are the go to. Can't get over how far your watch's journey has come though

Onto movements - my thought is this - mechanical watches are (as per wikipedia) inferior to electronic movements in many ways. But, consider their accuracy - yours you say loses a minute a week, which gives it a 99.99% accuracy rate (1/10080 mins a week). Can you seriously think of anything else man made at that accuracy? I think not... And so, when I look at my watch, I see a level of accuracy that I should try to strive for in my work / life. I am of course, pretty close. No I'm not actually. My stock picks are more like.... 50/50? Joking. The fragility of the movement also gives it character - when it survives all the falls and bumps over say 10 years, and still maintains that 99.99% accuracy, that's what makes you say wow.

1 person likes this.
  2. jaypee

jaypee Well-Known Member

My rotation is Stowa MO and IWC Mark 16.. Plan on picking up something new (vintage) in NY later this year from Tourneau

3. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Well-Known Member

An update on my Church's shoe restoration. i have emailed them and I can drop them of in the store in Edinburgh when there (which of course leaves a shoe size hole in my luggage...). Seems like there is one set price for the repair and it includes includes inner sole if required - so think I might continue to wear them lightly (once a fortnight or so, inside only). Quote from email - "Refurbishment covers: Complete long sole and heel replacement, with shoes being pulled over original last, new heel sock and pad, new insole if necessary, re polished and returned in a new box with new shoe bags. The repairs are currently taking about 6 weeks and cost £89.95 per pair, plus P & P. The store will contact you when your shoes are ready to organise payment and shipping. " This was also nice of them to add -
    "The longevity of your shoes can be greatly extended by keeping them dry, alternating pairs, storing in a well ventilated place and employing a regular care routine. A full range of shoes accessories; shoe tree, shoe horns, cleaning brushes and shoe polishes are available from the Factory Outlet, our staff will be happy to advise further."
    I have posted this before (see below) - but here is the magic (and process) of Church's restoration service. http://linenforsummertweedforwinter.tumblr.com/post/5117969310/old-becomes-new-read-more http://www.wallpaper.com/fashion/churchs-repair-service/2450 [​IMG] Unfortunately, the old picture which you could roll across no longer works but other photographs can be send here - http://www.first-magazine.net/2008/06/shoe-repair-the-professional-grown-up-way/
    Here is post I made a while back...nice to see I agree with my old self (except it only took 5 years not 10 for shoes to need repaired, but I have a lot more shoes to rotate through now).

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
    3 people like this.
  4. Foxhound

Foxhound Well-Known Member

Carmina's arrived today.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Well-Known Member

Nice Foxy...fxh special socks too.

6. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Well-Known Member

Vastly prefer watches that are acutally accurate instad of endless faux-romanticism panache for watches that are, objectively, inferior.

7. JayH

JayH Well-Known Member

They look great, How did you go for sizing?

8. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

Quick someone call Alanis Morissette.

3 people like this.
  9. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

lol

Like rain on your wedding day.

10. quar

quar Well-Known Member

Pretty stupid thing to say in a Menswear Forum.

This Thread rocks. :confused:

1 person likes this.
  11. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

12. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

13. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Watches.
    I am uncompromising on longevity, looks and accuracy.
    My life depends on split second accuracy. All day. Every day.
    All of these are years old.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

The editorial board has high standards and exacting criteria.

2 people like this.
  15. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

Same here. The phrase 'tasteful quartz' is no oxymoron.

16. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

I go watch less quite a bit these days and just wear my wedding ring and no other jewellery, but this is my quartz (gasp) daily driver I guess you'd say.

[​IMG]

I have a few others including a very underrated Armani tank watch I got on my 21st, but on the weekends I tend to wear my Suunto sports watch, which is in no way SF approved but has things like temp, barometer, altitude etc so is good when I'm out fly fishing.

17. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Yes, a mechanical watch is inferior to a quartz watch in keeping the time, but not by much. As was pointed out by "couldnthaveknow" a few posts back, a decent mechanical watch will only lose a few seconds a day, which means that it has an accuracy of 99.99% on a weekly basis. I defy anyone to demonstrate that they are in need of such precise accuracy that three seconds a day will make a difference to their lives.

Objectively, 99% of people in countries like Australia don't need to wear watches anymore. We are surrounded by clocks, we have mobile phones that tell the time, we have clocks on microwave ovens, on regular ovens, on public buildings and so on. You can easily get by without wearing a watch.

Therefore, people now tend to wear a watch more for pleasure, rather than as a necessity.

Personally, I like the idea of having a small machine quietly whirring away on my wrist, doing its job with considerable precision and style.

1 person likes this.
  18. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

Like that Constant Jase. I used to have a Constant tank watch, but I lost it when cycling a few years back. I'm yet to find a tank watch as good; still looking.

19. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Well-Known Member

I should probably google before opening my mouth, but if something is run on battery, what happens when that battery starts to wane in life? Doesn't that mean that your battery powered watch is eventually going to start slowing down? And isn't this slow down process very gradual, so for a long period of time you think your watch is precise, but it isn't? I.e. precision can never be achieved, but varying degrees of accuracy can?

2 people like this.
  20. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

Every second counts when you don't know how many you have left on this earth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.