1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sliq

sliq Well-Known Member

a compliment from a man has more weight than a woman. counts!

2 people like this.
  2. kayhill

kayhill Well-Known Member

Looks like camo to me. 'Rock' em with some camo pants and a camo pocket square.

1 person likes this.
  3. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

There are a few gun checks in the Pj books. If I get time today ill take a photo

4. kayhill

kayhill Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  5. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Lovely shoes, kayhill.

For what it's worth, I agree with your sizing advice. I take my usual size (UK9) in the Rain last. Whilst it has a nicely chiselled toe, it's generous across the ball of the foot and also has a high instep, which suits my foot well.

6. Marbles

Marbles Well-Known Member

I don't remember seeing a report on Woolovers despite the discussion a few weeks ago, so here's my contribution:

- They fit like a tent. I am a 43in chest, 19in shoulders and sized down to a large (I usually take XL in most knitwear) and the Large cotton/cashmere V neck and polo shits swum on me. On reordering the Medium V-neck it is much better although the shoulders are a bit on the broad side.

- Postage is about normal for UK > Aus, around a week and only $9.99

- Charcoal V-Neck cotton/cashmere knit sheds something awful. I have a lint roller stashed in my drawer at the office because of this. It seems to be slowing down after about 6 wears but still pretty bad. Will monitor and report. No significant pilling noted at this point.

- Pretty hard to beat for the money, $32 for the sweater if memory serves, plus there seems to be weekly sales on one or two items. Fabric feels nice enough, and there seems to be a few different thicknesses available. I have worn the thinner one for temps in the low 20's (and I run a little hot).

On another note - Hair product. I'm finding that Brylcreem is doing a pretty good job for me at the moment, but wouldn't mind trying something else. I think what I'm looking for is a mousse. Any recommendations?

7. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Well-Known Member

This free shipping from the Carmina store has me all giddy.

http://www.shop.carminashoemaker.com/articulo.asp?idarticulo=4546950

That in particular.

How does the Inca last compare to lasts in say Barker, Meermin, etc? Should I be comfortable ordering my usual size? My feet are small, but not retarded. I fit a 39.5/40.

8. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Well-Known Member

Got them from ASOS. They're "Base London". Think they were like $52. Do you wear the linen shirts to work? I'm thinking of getting a bunch made and wearing them all to work this summer.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  9. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

How did you go with the sizing? All the options they have do my head in.

I'm thinking about a couple of linens for work as well. Has never crossed my mind before, bit with brutal summers back on the agenda...

10. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

Yadleys Lavender Brillantine is great if you like a high gloss slick back, will ask son about mousse.

Also Prof.B.Bear Adelaide has very low humidity? If so linen would be excellent for summer shirts, linen it suits most summer days in Canberra no humidity :D

11. PapaRubbery

Cheers man. I quite like 'em. Looking at some offerings from Herring but I'm not sold on dropping $150 on driving mocs. I actually quite like O&J's offering, but just not in the camo! I love the shape, the details, etc but I couldn't wear camo shoes.
    Okay so I bought a 15.5/33 from their Tokyo Slim Fit. I love it. Fits fantastically. Has the body of say an MJ Bale 38 Slim or 39 Super Slim - but a neck size to accommodate my gigantic head and neck.

I bought a S from their Linen range previously, but I don't have any full length fit pictures. The fit is more relaxed than their 15.5/33 - the sleeves are longer (34), so I've had them taken up. Aside from the sleeves I'm hesitant to do any other alterations.

I would have worn it to work today but upon waking up I decided to 'work from home'.

I'll wear it tomorrow. Prof; Linen all summer is a fantastic idea. I'm pretty much doing the same. Being posted to Darwin for a month so it'll be 24/7 linen. Sans pants.

12. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about a couple of Kamakura linens for work as well. I have some Uniqlo linen shirts and they've held up well in the hot temperatures in Malaysia and Myanmar but they're a little short in the sleeves to wear under a sportscoat.

I seem to recall someone actually sending their measurements over to Kamakura for advice on the best cut for them.

13. PapaRubbery

Gerry - if you're above a 38 chest I'd be hesitant about ordering a S. You could get away with a 40 if you were a very slim 40.

At $100USD a pop if they require major alterations you might be better off going MTM anyhow.

14. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

Cheers, v helpful.

That's a good idea. Might try that. Thanks G!

15. Prof. B. Bear

I was going buy these initially but found others that were on sale; http://www.asos.com/au/ASOS/ASOS-Ta...01&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=36&sort=-1&clr=Tansuede

ASOS has some pretty legit stuff from time to time. I think I'm just going to say fcuk it and go all linen errrrrthing this summer.

16. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Well-Known Member

From The Age (last week I think).

[​IMG]

17. Journeyman

Linen in summer is great, and I tend to live in either linen shirts or polo shirts on the weekends.

As GN says, Uniqlo linen shirts are great and I picked up quite a few in Japan earlier in the year in a variety of colours - there are a few photos of the haul here.

However, I find that while the collars of the Uniqlo linen shirts are fine for casual wear, they are not so suited to wearing with a tie.

I used to have a fantastic Borrelli sky-blue linen shirt but I wore it so much that the collar and cuffs became quite frayed so it got relegated to beach wear.

I'll have to investigate the Kamakura linen shirts as it looks as though they'll be better suited to wearing with a tie than the Uniqlo shirts are.

18. Prof. B. Bear

I love Uniqlo but they just don't fit me. Combination of being tall and actually lifting has really made it hard to find RTW stuff that fits. It's a shame actually.

1 person likes this.
  19. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

No worries - thanks for that. I bought a couple of the New York Slim OCBD shirts and they're great but the sleeves are too long. You can't really tell when they are worn under a jacket.

I tend to be a Medium in nearly everything these days and that's what I had planned to go with

20. Journeyman

Whilst Herringbone doesn't get discussed nearly as much here as it used to be, I thought it worth mentioning that I just received an e-mail from them about a "final clearance" on sale items.

Essentially, it seems that all items in store that were previously reduced by up to 50%, are now reduced by a further 25% - hence, some items are reduced by up to 75%.

I suspect that it's mainly shirts and ties that are reduced, but it could still be worth taking a look.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.