1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

NM - at the risk of sounding like a pedant, it's "piqued". Sorry about that!

It's bespoke in that I can choose the fabric, lining, width, length, construction (three-fold, six-fold etc etc). Essentially, I can choose entirely how the tie is constructed, the size of the tie and (obviously from within a range of choices), the fabric from which it is made.

I prefer quite a long, double four-in-hand knot on my ties so I'm also able to specify that the part of the tie that wraps around my neck be wider than usual, so as to produce a longer knot.

It will be the second such tie that I've ordered through Rene - he has them made by a place in Italy.

1 person likes this.
  2. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

That's perfect!!! Where is it from?

3. Gerry Nelson

Thanks, NM!

4. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

PM sent.

5. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

6. thebrownman

thebrownman Well-Known Member

GN, before you decide on what to get please do try D&J Anand or Thakur Masonji in Calcutta for an authentic Bengal stripe :)

7. nabilmust

nabilmust Well-Known Member

Dammit I always get that wrong. And "maneouvre" (sic).

Ah, yes - that's interesting! Let me know how you go with the process.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. Halifax

Halifax Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I have been humming and ahhing about shoes for the past few weeks and will definitely be purchasing a pair of black oxford top caps, 95% sure it will be the Loakes Aldywich with Loake trees. I'd like to thank Wurger for his informative thread: http://www.styleforum.net/t/362365/the-quintessential-dress-shoe-black-cap-toe-oxford#post_6597160

The second pair I have one eye on is the Loakes Heston in Mahogany but I wouldn't mind a pair of semi brogue derbies in tan either; however, I won't make a decision until I look at some Allen Edmonds in the flesh.

I realise the previously referenced discount on Herring shoes no longer applies but I wanted to make sure I would be absolutely happy with any purchase made.

The questions I now have is: how often does Herring or Pediwear have specials/discounts/sales? Is it worth waiting until after the new year?

Any advice is much appreciated gents.

9. Gerry Nelson

10. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

Next sale for Herring I suspect will be the winter one, starting usually in January. I suspect Pediwear would be the same. Though they both have random discounting going on all the time.

I would suggest if you can wait till then, do so (while still checking their sites periodically). If there's nothing in the sales then pay full whack for something you really like (you can save up in the intervening period).

11. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Well-Known Member

12. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

Halifax,

The Heston is a good choice. I would also consider something darker like a dark brown loake buckingham from pediwear or the Loake site.

13. JimmyHoffa

I don't know if this has been covered in any form of literature, but from my experience those things which are hyped up often fail to live up to their expectation. In fact, I think surprise or experiencing the unexpected constitutes a large part of happiness and enjoyment. A lot of research and expectation will remove that surprise and the unexpected will be non-existent. So whilst it is good that you extensively worked out which pair of shoes to buy, I do wonder how 'absolutely happy' you really will be once they arrive. The Aldwych is a great pair of shoes that you will feel proud to wear.

As for waiting for sales, the Aldwych is a staple that sells regularly so trying to time the next sale might be difficult. Also, we're talking 20% discount on a $350 item, which is about $70 or a couple of hours of your wage. Sitting around and constantly checking websites for 4 months might not be worth $70. And the biggest price determinant is the exchange rate, which could go anywhere.

14. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

Looks like a Tessitura Monti fabric...

15. ovlov

ovlov Well-Known Member

Unrelated to menswear. But just wondering with the excess of lawyers on here if any of you have experience working in small suburban practices that might be able to answer a couple of private questions for me. I'd really appreciate it.
    Cheers

16. acinod

acinod Well-Known Member

Big W have Holeproof Explorer 2-Pack Original Wool Socks for $12/pack. Are these a good buy for the winter?

17. Halifax

Halifax Well-Known Member

You assume my time is worth something...

18. Petepan

Petepan Well-Known Member

This will not be well received at all. Just reconsider it carefully and reverse the situation.

19. ovlov

ovlov Well-Known Member

Pete,
    Sorry if you misunderstood. I am a lawyer myself. I'm not looking for free legal advice, I'm newly admitted and employed. I was looking for some advice from peers related to first year experiences and expectations as I don't really know anyone in a similar position irl.

20. JimmyHoffa

Your time is very valuable! Or should I say, peace of mind is very valuable.

I agree with you though, the trick is to achieve a happy medium between having done enough research and not setting up unrealistic expectations. I think the Aldwych is a brilliant shoe, and if you haven't bought English shoes from overseas before, it's the best choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.