1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

For Gerry

[​IMG]

2. mountainjoo

mountainjoo Active Member

I know it's a band-aid fix but have you tried tongue pads? They will fill some empty space and push your foot back into the heel.

3. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

With respect.

Tongue pads aren't a Band Aid fix.

Band Aids on the heel or under tongue are a proper Band Aid fix and recommended.

1 person likes this.
  4. Petepan

Petepan Well-Known Member

FH, have you tried sole pads? Also, as the leather gets softer, the heel slip should reduce with increasing flex. I have made the same mistakes, but i now have a pair of old Ballys with buttersoft leather which wears very comfortably with a sole pad, as it is sized nearly a full size up from normal fit. It is now eight years old, with probably about two more years of life left, being on a weekly rotation.

5. iSurg

iSurg Well-Known Member

Gents: today, I had the best day of my trip so far. Started off climbing the Cupola at the Duomo in the morning with very few other tourists, while the hoardes were lining up for the cathedral instead. Then, saw David and some early Renaissance paintings at the Accademia. Began my menswear tour with my supportive wife. Initially, all stores were closed for lunch and we were stuck near the Arno. In the end, got to visit Liverano, buy a signed copy of I Colori Di Antonio, and take a few photos with Sig. Liverano. Chatted to Taka and Liverano's daughter. Stopped by Hidetaka (where I couldn't afford anything). Frasi was still closed. Stopped by Il Bisonte and put a doctors bag on hold. Went to Mannina and bought a couple pairs for the wife and one black tassel for myself. Chatted with Antonio Mannina, who is a really nice guy. Got to see the Mannina workshop, but Mannina Sr was at the Excelsior for an event. The loafers I bought have awesome leather uppers - full grain and very fine creasing. On par with Cleverley I think. The soles are machine welted, but I loved the immediately comfortable fit. Here are some photos to share and hoping to go back to Liverano and Il Bisonte tomorrow.

[​IMG]
    Totally menswear fanboy moment! This made my day!

[​IMG]
    Wife took a photo of me drooling over HF

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
    3 people like this.
  6. cgo

cgo Well-Known Member

nice iSurg

Thanks for giving me some ideas on what to visit in Florence. Unfortunately I will only have 4 days in Florence of which one day alone is a trip to Cinque Terre.

7. cgo

cgo Well-Known Member

if you don't mind me asking iSurg, what is the price range of the Mannina shoes and where exactly is the Il Bisonte store as I am planning to drop by and hopefully find a bag I like

8. iSurg

iSurg Well-Known Member

9. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Gentlemen,

I am commissioning a bespoke tie from Rene of Deer Style.

I've narrowed my preferences down to a few groups of swatches and I thought that I'd crowdsource an opinion as to the preferred choices.

First swatch group:

[​IMG]

Second swatch group:

[​IMG]

Third swatch group:

[​IMG]

At the moment, I'm tending towards fabrics 3, 4 or 5 from the third swatch group. What do others think?

10. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Well-Known Member

Fabric 2 from the top. From the 3rd swatch. Looks awesome IMO.

11. Halifax

Halifax Well-Known Member

I like the 5th fabric from the top of swatch 3 or any on swatch one (bar the last fabric from the top).

12. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Well-Known Member

There is something seriously wrong with you. You should seriously seek help.

13. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

All the third ones look good but look decidedly wintery for a Brisbane summer if youre planning on wearing them soon.

14. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

Which are similar to what you already have? Which will fill gaps in your tie collection? What do you plan on wearing them with?

If I were to choose one, it would be number 2 in the third swatch group since it would go with nearly all the suits and sportscoats I own.

15. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

Spot on.

16. nabilmust

nabilmust Well-Known Member

That shirt is probably made by Ascot Chang. I think that fabric is a D&J Anderson, or a Thomas Mason.

DB, supergas run True to Size. And they're far more comfortable than Jack Purcells.

2nd swatch, 4th from top.

3rd swatch. any of the bottom 3.

17. nabilmust

Foxxy, your unchecked consumption, and as it turns out, in the wrong size, reminds me of a Don Draper quote:

"Well, Connie, there are snakes that go months without eating, and then they finally catch something, but they're so hungry that they suffocate while they're eating."

Don't be that snake that caught the menswear bug.

4 people like this.
  18. nabilmust

Also, Journeyman, how is this tie "bespoke"? Peaked my interest a fair bit.

19. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

Gezz, is this too fine?

[​IMG]

And JM was right about H and H...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  20. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Well-Known Member

A lot of stuff gets said and posted on SF but that is one of the better ones with a twist of humour I've read in recent times :)

Truthfully though I think the menswear bug is just like any other vice or possibly a stretch to call it a hobby. Most of the time its just a way to distract ourselves and keep busy even if we do enjoy it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.