1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

From what I know and from others who know more - shooey and meister etc- you wont get a true bespoke shoe here in Oz - no one will make a bespoke last - you may get a MTM from a generic last but from what I have seen most of them would be not as good looking, and perhaps not as well made, as a basic bottom of line Loake and thats at 4 times the price. The only MTM local shoes I've seen here are special orthotic shoes for very weird foot shapes or are very grungy street wear looking stuff. I've had stuff "bespoke" - really custom MTM - from Melbourne years ago but all the guys who used to do it are retired or dead. Of all of those even the only ones that were really good quality were a pair of OTC motor bike boots. Sadly I gave them away years ago.

2. lukejackson

lukejackson Well-Known Member

In regards to white jeans/trousers/pants;

I have a [cheap] pair of white chinos. I wanted some for ages for summer but couldn't justify the purchase as due to my ::ahem:: lifestyle they wouldn't stay white for long.

However, I grabbed some and although I've only worn them once I think they are great for summer. I wore them with an open weave brown polo and some darker brown loafers, during the day. I think they looked good. They are already blemished from holding my girl's bag against my legs while I waited for her though. For the record, I'm not tanned, but not pasty etc.

3. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Well-Known Member

Andrew MacDonald - while unloved in this thread - is easily one of the more interesting shoe makers in the world - dozens of cutting edge bands rip him off/take inspiration from him year in and year out.

(hint: for those who think the pixie shoes stay like that, they don't after the first wear or two)

4. ovlov

ovlov Well-Known Member

What are "Pixie Shoes"?

See a lot of the designs on that site look pretty sweet. But they all look homemade. Like someones early attempts at making shoes in their garage after seeing a DIY guide online somewhere.

5. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

not a fan of the shoes on his site at all.

6. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

I respect the artisan even though his style isn't to my taste

2 people like this.
  7. Plestor

Plestor Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Despite the *interesting* stuff on there he can clearly make more conservative options

8. FredAstaire1899

FredAstaire1899 Well-Known Member

RM Williams say they make you a last for an extra $80 on a customer order. I'm not sure I believe it. They also said they have a 3D foot scanner if you go to their factory in Adelaide, and this device is used to make an optimum last.

9. md2010

md2010 Well-Known Member

^^ well said.
    But that how he wants his shoes to look like - hand made. You will be able to differentiate his shes from mass produced shoes from miles away. TBH I am not a fan of his design and leather and colour selections.. But I respect his style.

10. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

I will never appreciate someone been different for the sake of different.

1 person likes this.
  11. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Well-Known Member

http://styleforumau.wikidot.com/wiki:suits-in-australia

12. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

Go to MJ Bale and get the 2x$1000 deal.

Get one grey suit and one navy.

Then buy 6 plain shirts in either white or pale blue.

Then go to Henry Carter and get some ties. As a rule of thumb for businesswear, don't buy anything you wouldn't wear to your mothers funeral.

What I did when I started this time last year - it worked for me.

1 person likes this.
  13. iSurg

iSurg Well-Known Member

New polo pickup. Best collar! On the way to the Eternal City this morning...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Andiamo, paesani! (Is that even grammatically correct?)

Also, in other news, the Dinner for 25, version IV. Mos Def is in it!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  14. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

iSurg - looks great! Where's the polo from?

15. aget19

aget19 Member

Ok Cool. Cheers for the tip. Looks like i've got some work to do this weekend.

16. iSurg

iSurg Well-Known Member

PJ! Made in Italy. Good quality jersey. Really liking the collar roll. One piece collar sewn directly into the selvedge (Tom described it).

17. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Well-Known Member

Getting a balmoral boot mto, struggling to decide between dark brown shell, Burgundy shell or naturacalf, anyone have any preferences?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. iSurg

iSurg Well-Known Member

Dark brown shell for sure!

19. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

Love those sartorialist vids!

20. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

Raises an interesting point here. One would think that a bespoke shoe maker, considering the interest in high end shoes, would be aiming at a market that has the disposable cash and cultivated taste to pay for a good product. But no, the shoes I have seen are more SW fashion trends than corporate or even classically timeless. I just wonder at the turn over required to keep him afloat, but he must be doing ok as he has survived for a number of years. Or maybe as an artisan he is taking a creative stand and doing his own thing and wants his product to speak as a individual creative expression. Either way I just can't work the business model out to be honest. What i have seen in store and on line has never moved me and I have had discussions with a number of friends about his work, all I must add are cultural creatives, and while getting wood at the thought of a pair of Alden Cordovan longwings of Edwad Green MTO handgrade none of us has ever gotten a rise out of his work . Odd to say the least, but to each their own, he has obviously found his niche in the market and is comfortable there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.