1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

Same. Of the few tie wearers, everyone wears geometric prints. Usually because they wanted a plain red or blue tie and one with little yellow squares was as close as they could get.

2. ovlov

ovlov Well-Known Member

You know I'm not sure if I've ever seen a grenadine tie before. I'd certainly never heard of them before I came here.
    I tried to rectify this by asking after them in Henry Bucks today.
    "I'm sorry sir I've not heard of grenadine before. Let me check with the manager"
    Manager "Sorry we don't stock that label (?!).... oh, no I've never heard of it".

Am I missing something here? Does anyone know where to find one in Adelaide?

3. Foxhound

Foxhound Well-Known Member

Haha thanks bro.

On the topic of paisley. I love floral. I need to find a nice paisley tie.

4. iSurg

iSurg Well-Known Member

ovlov: You can find them on web stores - Henry Carter, Vanda Fine Clothing, Shibumi Berlin, Drakes, Passagio Cravate, Conrad Wu, etc. It's a type of material/weave. No point to fine in a store. Order online.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  5. Oli2012

I've seen one once, but it was apparent the guy had bought it 20+ years ago.

6. ovlov

ovlov Well-Known Member

I'd like to see one in person though before i splurge. I liked the look of the larger weaves but when i enquired with Henrycarter I was told they weren't stocked anymore because they were prone to snagging and ruined easily, though form what I've seen in photos they don't look fragile at all. On the other hand the finer weaves look almost exactly like regular silk ties to me so either I have shitty eyesight or i can't find any good pics (or both).

Actuially I have seen one set of good pics. Those on the Pjohnson page. They look fantastic. but they also don't look like any others I've seen, aren't labeled by size (are they meant to be large or small weave) and cost more than double what I've spent on a tie before.

7. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

The major problems with many of the larger grenadine weaves but grenadine in general, is that its a very loosely woven, open kind of weave. This is what makes it so very snag prone and a stray cuticle or the like can be the downfall of an expensive tie.

The likes of Sam Hober and Kent Wang do the larger weaves, though I'd recommend the Hobers in-front of KW as the few KW's I had before I started HC never knotted very well.

8. Henry Carter

P.S Here is a few close ups of the finer weave

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. ovlov

ovlov Well-Known Member

See to me that looks nothing like the pics on your site. Are those your ties? If so I want

10. iSurg

iSurg Well-Known Member

Problem solved. Next topic.

11. Henry Carter

Yes they are both mine, the silver and chocolate brown grenadine respectively. I need to start uploading closer knot shots on the website and will be soon when all of next seasons stuff arrives in a few weeks.

12. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

I don't mind the slightly open weave. Somewhere between a knit and a standard silk tie

[​IMG]

13. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Well-Known Member

Just some Grenadines.

http://www.kentwang.com/grenadine-green.html
    http://www.kentwang.com/grenadine-navy.html

Was mainly after the green to go with the grey suit, white shirt - have seen that look posted around a cpl of times and quite like it. Although I may have thought twice after the above comments regarding larger weaves, oh well will have to chalk it up to experience if they don't last too long.

14. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Well-Known Member

Is that brown grenadine pictured above, the 'bambino' on the website? If so then yep you definitely need some closeups as that weave in the pics above look good and I would have purchased the Grenadines from your store rather than KW, but the pics on the site make it look like a very minimal / tiny weave, almost solid.

15. herringbonePete

herringbonePete Well-Known Member

Is this the double Four In Hand I hear about? Might try it - I quite like asymmetrical knots, only one top corner of my FIH always wants to migrate up one of the tie ends..(make sense).

I'd had a lot of success with the Shelby.

The knit tie I had was silk and I don't recall any issues with durability. It would have been about 50-75 dollars.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  16. Oli2012

Ovlov, make sure you get the black and navy grenadines. Wardrobe staples IMO.

17. Henry Carter

It is a minimal weave, I should be clear. That's why I call it the bambino, because it's the smallest of the grenadine weaves. Not sure if you saw though on the website you can actually click through, say on the " Chocolate Bambino Grenadine" text and that will take you through to the individual product which allows you to see it larger - http://henrycarter.com.au/products-page/ties/chocolate-bambino-grenadine/ then the image can be clicked to enlarge it again if you want. But like I said super close ups are on the cards it's just the time limitations of me working full time, running HC part time and having a 7 month old daughter to get it done.

18. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

It's funny you say that. My black knit and grenadine ties are the least used of the ties I own simply because I'm still trying to work out what I can pair them with and the colour black makes them seem formal to me - same with my black shoes. I actually got them because they are meant to be wardrobe staples [​IMG]

I plan to wear them more regularly in the next few weeks while I experiment with the Italian industrialist look [​IMG].

19. boff

boff Well-Known Member

I reckon I'm wearing a plain black/navy or spotted black/navy silk knit about 60% of the time. The colour black means you can pair it with just about anything. I like where you are going with the Italian industrialist look. Closely related is the "Italian background". Simon Crompton has a good write up on from a few years back. http://www.permanentstyle.co.uk/2008/04/italian-background.html

In a nutshell, try out your black knit with a plain, pale blue shirt and, within reason, pretty much any suit you have. I would be amazed if it didn't work. Much the same principal with a navy grenadine, less so with some of the other colours.

1 person likes this.
  20. ovlov

ovlov Well-Known Member

Well if you decide you can't make them work for you I'm always looking to save a few bucks on buying used. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.