1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

A hot cycle might help.

Say you were doing a load of white shirts - how would you guys go about doing them? what settings would you use/detergents?

I'll start doing a load a week myself.

2. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

3. iSurg

iSurg Well-Known Member

I have posted this before, Oli. I put all my shirts in one load on delicate with 3/4 detergent and 30 degrees with 400 to 600 rpm spin. You may use some dilute vinegar to get the smells out but light tumble dry made need to be considered as well. The smell is indicative of a high number of bacterial colonies.... It's like the wet towel phenomenon

1 person likes this.
  4. jmills

jmills Well-Known Member

Wait, you guys wash your shirts in the machine? [​IMG]

5. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Well-Known Member

Oli - I just put mine in for 700 rpm with some washing power and dry on the line (in the sun if possible) - which makes a big difference. Drying inside is for wool. Drying in the dryer is for emergencies only (I don't even own a dryer).

1 person likes this.
  6. iSurg

iSurg Well-Known Member

No one touches my precious shirts except me. And I'm still stuck on Thomas Mason silver line fabric. Not yet upgraded to Grandi, Acorn, etc.

3 people like this.
  7. kayhill

kayhill Well-Known Member

Second a*shoecare: http://stores.ebay.com.au/ashoecare

Doesn't have as big as range as say, the hanger project: http://www.hangerproject.com/, but they have all the things you would need - wax polish, shoe cream, renovateur, brushes and suede products. Cheaper shipping too I believe.

1 person likes this.
  8. lachyzee

lachyzee Well-Known Member

In my share house we use this stuff.... One box probably lasts our entire house for 10 months or so, and it costs about $40 IIRC.

Cheap as chips and lasts forever. And works pretty well, despite it's sinister name.

I also use Oxyclean on shirts.

Only thing that ever smells are things made out of poly, which is pretty much inevitable after a while.

What are your routines for whites? I have oxyclean as stated above, and a bit of Bluo occasionally.

I've heard that people ramp up the temperature very high for whites (I wash everything on cold), but I've always been worried about things shrinking.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  9. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

One load a week isn't enough. You are going to have around 10 shirts to wash each week of 7 days.

You need some basic principles, many of which I used to think didn't need to be stated, but I was wrong.

Assuming you wear shirts to a work situation 5 days a week where you might also wear a tie and where cleanliness is valued. If you are in a manual job you will still wear a clean shirt each day.

Starting Sunday - you'll need a clean smart causal shirt to go out to say brunch or lunch with friends or family. You'll probably continue to wear this all day until you go to bed. End of day = 1 dirty shirt

Mon - 1 clean work shirt - in summer you may have a spare to change into halfway through day - come home @ 6.30pm - change into casual shirt for at home. Go to bed take off shirts = 2 dirty shirts.

Tues. Same as Mon = 2 dirty shirts

Wed ditto = 2 dirty shirts

Thursday - work shirt - then out for meal drinks etc = 2 dirty shirts

Friday - ditto = 2 dirty shirts

Saturday - clean casual shirt - grocery shopping in AM, afternoon visit friends or gallery etc - change shirt, then out at night - change for clean shirt = 3 dirty shirts.

Total by Sunday 14 dirty shirts.
    Now you might be slightly different and wear a t-shirt or PJs at home at night - or stretch the sat casual shirt to all day. But you are going to have at least 8 dirty shirts.

You might even sneak your at home casual shirt over 3 days or so - still up around 7 shirts to wash.

You would NOT wear a shirt for more than one full day ever.

You will normally hang shirts outside to dry.

If you can manage it you will drip dry shirts.

You understand that dryers are only for underwear, sheets, towels or emergencies. In emergencies if you must use a dryer you will use it on low heat or cool only. You will resolve not to have self induced emergencies due to your own lazyness.

Each night you will drop each of your dirty shirts into a bucket of cold water to soak until you wash.

You will wash a load of shirts at least twice a week.

You will wash, usually in cold water, on gentle cycle. You will only use a small amount of detergent - at least half that recommended.

You will inspect for stains prior to washing and put something on stain.

Every couple of weeks you will soak a bunch of your shirts in Napi San or its equivalent in a bucket of warm water for 24 hours prior to washing.

Your shirts will be clean, fresh and last a long time.

4 people like this.
  10. smeggett

smeggett Well-Known Member

Hi Romp - awards evening is on 20 September. Will PM further details to see if you can offer something.

Thanks Sliq - will investigate this option also.

Cheers

11. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Well-Known Member

So how many loads of clothes all up do you do a week? I do one for business shirts and one for casual wear.

Very much agree with gentle wash, low spin, hang on hangers whilst drying. Putting the sleeves inside the shirt so the arms don't get caught up and buttons don't possibly catch and or stretch on anything is also a nice tip for your more expensive/precious business shirts.

I will say though that dryers are great for getting the shape back into your knitwear and jeans the like (wouldn't use them on collared shirts), inside out, throw them in for 10 mins on delicate setting and boom back to fitting like you've just washed them. In theory this may reduce the lifespan but I've been doing it for a couple of years now and have yet to notice any quality degradation and im picky about that stuff.

12. jas0nt

jas0nt Well-Known Member

Don't forget the separate shirt worn for eating breakfast.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  13. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

I use laundry bags (for want of a better word) when washing my shirts - they are mesh bags with a zip at the top, and I use a separate one for each shirt. It stops the sleeves from getting tangled up.

I'm not sure where you can get them in Australia, but I picked mine up at a Y100 shop in Japan.

14. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

I only have a coffee for most breakfast, so I don't need to change shirt .

Osi, I don't know how much washing I do. I can't stand washing piling up, so probably on average every second day.. I rarely do huge loads. You bring up a good point about protecting stuff in the machine. I really should be getting some of those bags to wash stuff in. I've been down the country for 3 days so tonight I'm washing everything in the baskets. Washing isn't a big deal if done in small lots, plonk it in, a bit of detergent, push buttons, watch doco on iceman autopsy as i m doing and do stuff on tablet. Hang out washing on line before I go to bed. Bring it in , in the morning if it hasn't rained and plonk it on drying rack.

15. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

What journeyman said. JM those bags are now cheap and in some supermarkets and odd shops.

16. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

This is what I (mummy) has been doing and my shirts still get a little on the nose when I iron them - should I use a hot was from time to time?

17. bboowwyy

bboowwyy Well-Known Member

Any other aussies enjoy thrifting?
    Looking through the thrift bragging thread, i'm amazed at some of the awesome stuff they find over in the US.
    Anyone have any favourite finds or bargains?

18. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Oli- I'm not the only one here a bit confused. There's something lacking in the story. I can't recall having well washed cotton shirts smelling without being worn. Or even much when worn normally. There's something you are not telling us. What do you mean they smell?

19. kayhill

kayhill Well-Known Member

I wear your granddad's clothes,
    I look incredible,
    I'm in this big ass coat,
    from that thrift shop down the road.

Couldn't help myself.

Like the lyric in that song, the only thing I've ever bought from a thrift store - a jacket - smelt mildly of piss.

1 person likes this.
  20. sliq

sliq Well-Known Member

i'm currently wearing a wool sweater i thrifted that is grandpa worthy. Balmain, of course. California Dreamer is a prolific thrifter in here.

we have nothing on the US people. bigger population = better access to extreme goodies.

i've got a few favourite finds; vintage Balmain trench coat.. cashmere overcoat.. my favourite tie is thrifted as well. vintage hardie amies.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.