1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

I don't see the point in a shoe like that, especially in sydney rain happens so infrequently.

I'd get a pair of chukkas or chelseas that would double as a casual boot personally.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  2. cgo

cgo Well-Known Member

not much really. Probably Herringbone or MJ Bale I would say.

3. coxaca

coxaca Well-Known Member

Actually I believe that Sydney gets three times as much rainfall as Melbourne, although it tends to occur less frequently.

Apart from any other reason to go dark brown, there is this: many tan leathers will look very spotty/stained after rain. Sure, if you dry them carefully (away from heat sources, stuffed with newspaper etc) they will recover. But if you're after a wet-weather shoe, may as well purchase one in a wet-weather-suitable colour.

I'm speaking from experience here. Got caught in a torrential downpour the first day I wore these -

[​IMG]
    Carmina 922 shell

- and it took nearly a week, plus an hour with a cotton rag and some Renovateur, for the rain discolouration to disappear.

But with these -

[​IMG]
    Crockett & Jones Exmoor with storm-welted Dainite soles

- there's never a problem. In fact, wearing these out for the day creates a sure-fire guarantee that it won't even rain...

1 person likes this.
  4. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

5. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Well-Known Member

Depending on budget the chaps at Suit Shop or P Johnson Tailors could sort you out. Timeframes might be a little tight though.

Oh, finally put two and two together and realised I did meet Coxaca at the Dress for Success event (I am just a bit slow, sorry Coxy).

In other news, if you are a #menswear geek on social media, something that will add some cheer to your Saturday morning is when you post a picture on Instagram of a pair of trousers you just received by your favourite designer and then said designer "likes" your photograph (as well as such luminaries as thebrownman, nabilmust and foxhound). I am a sad, sad man, I know.

http://instagram.com/p/dE4a3Sqm83/
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

Yeah, a darker colour would hide the rain marks more, but you must be hit with some of the highest rain and walked around a bit... since also a new pair, I assume you haven't applied wax polish yet, cause the longest for the watermarks for my Tricker's acorn shoes to go away is just one whole night.

7. thebrownman

thebrownman Well-Known Member

If you're a 42R in Herringbone's Osaka cut, I have a brand new Bonham Weave Tuxedo jacket .. $200 bucks, you'd have to source the trousers yourself from a Herringbone store.

Boom! GO PS :) So much love for Bastian.

8. coxaca

coxaca Well-Known Member

You're right, it was a torrential downpour that evening, and I hadn't applied any wax polish. But I have now. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  9. Halifax

Halifax Well-Known Member

I couldn't resist - thank you Brownman.

10. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

Time frames too tight for us - we are booked out til September unfortunately

Looking at some CBD space soon to make better use of our time

11. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

Are you kidding? Maybe out West but if you're near the coast it rains heavier and far more frequently.

And if you're walking to the Opera House on a wild, wet night, jumping puddles and dodging the sea spray, then you ain't gonna wanna be in your suede loafers!

12. thebrownman

13. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

meermin sent me a free pair of brown suede lace ups on commando/dainite sole ... I beat the sh!t out of them .. they are my go-to wet weather shoe :)

14. TehBunny

TehBunny Well-Known Member

Haha, congrats Pinky!
    Cold Eye mind posting a fit pic with the Armoury's Safari jacket; it looks amazing!

15. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

It's worth noting that the top pair are shell and shell cordovan typically show visible spots after rain. I have several pairs of tan or light brown shoes and they've never shown spots after rain.

16. Petepan

Petepan Well-Known Member

i need to alter a suit jacket, mainly taking in the waist and shortening sleeves (non functional buttons). Can anyone recommend a decent alteration tailor in Sydney? I recall someone mentioning a Greek guy at Twn Hall arcade?

Many thanks.

17. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

http://mrtailor.com.au/

18. kayhill

kayhill Well-Known Member

19. thebrownman

[​IMG]

It's the weekend so I wear my Owen&James popover.

5 people like this.
  20. Foxhound

Foxhound Well-Known Member

Jealous of stubble.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.