1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

Monochrome fridays

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Suit: MJ Bale
    Shirt: Cottonwork
    Tie: Henry Carter dark grey wool h/bone
    Shoes: Meermin MTO
    PS: Henry Carter Irish linen

1 person likes this.
  2. Superfudge

Superfudge Well-Known Member

Hey guys, common question, I know, but...

I'm looking to get a waxed-cotton field jacket altered (sleeves taken up/slimmed, waist taken in, if possible) and I don't think my regular alterations place is up to the challenge. Does anyone have any experience getting a similar operation done? I have gone off Maher at M&R (nice guy and good work, but really unreliable and lost a pair of pants of mine) and I was thinking of trying Alterations by Master/Pascalis. Sydney CBD location preferred.

3. coxaca

coxaca Well-Known Member

12 recordings of the Resurrection? I only have two. But I've performed it.

4. Spinning

Spinning Active Member

Ugh,
    So....went to MJ Bale to get 2 suits for $1k.

Up in Melb for a week for work I didn't have too much time due to work. My client was just out of the CBD and I work 8.30-6.
    Anyway, Sunday I went in and bought a charcoal and navy suit.

30" pants = obviously needed some shortening.
    36 Jacket - was literally JUST right, but I could have busted it reaching for something.
    38 Jacket - tiiiiiiiiiiiiiny bit too big.

Alas, I will get the 38 tailored at home (for a much better price than they offered), no worries here. Having explained to staff I was over for work and really didn't have much/any time to come back and forth between the store ...MJ said they could get the pants done and they'd be ready Monday (the following day) afternoon.

Granted, as I was told the pants would be ready on Monday - and I was on a very tight time budget, I came in to the CBD to get them on Tuesday at around 2pm, but - they weren't ready....?

I was given a call midday Wednesday to say they were ready.

To make sure things were right, I went to go and pick them up/try them on Thursday morning at 9am - the stores stated opening times (note, here I am already late for work)...no one there.
    5 past....no one there ....
    I ring....no answer ....
    10past ... no one there and no answer on the phones?

Too late, I need to leave for work now. There weren't even any lights on in the store.

----
    I managed to get them to drop it to my hotel, and I'm not happy.
    The pants are two different lengths AND too short.

This is exactly why I went in on Tuesday to pick them up after being told they'd be ready on Monday. I had also explained I had limited time etc and was subsequently told everything would be fine.

----
    I like the quality of the suits, however I am extremely disappointed in this.

----
    Tails of a newb suit shopper.

----
    ...I also think my legs/waist may have grown somewhat since trying the pants on in the first instance.

----
    Pretty much $1,000 not well spent.

1 person likes this.
  5. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

Not a peacoat, but I have a black mid-thigh length duffle coat that I've worn to work pretty much every day since winter hit. I've also worn it on the weekends with jeans, chinos etc. Cost me $100. No complaints, other than the zip was crap and I had to repair it.

6. Superfudge

Superfudge Well-Known Member

Great suit, good job! You didn't go for the side adjusters?

Weirdly, I think I've read your "job interview" blog post a week or so ago based on an unrelated Google search. Small world.

7. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

Instrument? Choir?

Seen it preformed about 4 times int he last 20 years.

8. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Well-Known Member

Fridays should not be grey days (those are usually Mondays for me). This looks great Jason, showing the power of grey.

1 person likes this.
  9. Pink Socks

Great time at the Wear for Success Expert Network night last night. Thanks to lennier for bring it to the attention of the thread.

Highlights included -

• lennier doing a fine job as a model for the stylists giving the talk. He had the "iGent robot pose" nailed from years of WIWT selfshots...
    • Appolyon throwing (or accidentally dropping) his wine glass on the floor in stage fright when asked to come up and show his pocket square.
    • fxh informing CHECKstar and myself that the taper on our trousers was too narrow, and "educating" us on the benefits of a wider length.
    • CHECKstar's impressive $45 shoe sole repair from Rekaris (which is good to know).
    • The guy in suit, tie and shoes with no socks...think he was looking for an appearance on sexyankles.tumblr.com (where fxh posts his style icons).

Looking forward to the next one...shoe shining at Double Monk maybe lennier?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. lennier

lennier Well-Known Member

I have one, funnily enough wearing it today. I recently went looking to replace it with a navy one, as this was a pre-SF purchase and I wanted something that I thought would be more versatile. However as I didn't find anything that appealed to me I started re-evaluating the one I have and started experimenting with black and brown together, as wearing with some brown was the main thing driving me towards a navy coat instead.

Net result is that I've decided I rather like black and brown together in the right combination, and so find the black peacoat to be a lot more versatile than I'd thought. No doubt a navy or charcoal one would be even more so, but I don't find the black nearly as restrictive as I used to.

11. lachyzee

lachyzee Well-Known Member

http://www.smartcompany.com.au/reta...veals-why-he-held-off-quitting-until-now.html

12. lennier

lennier Well-Known Member

Great big thanks to PInky, fxh, Appolyon, CHECKstar and coxaca (and anyone I didn't notice/meet) for supporting the Wear for Success Expert Network event last night and joining up. It was a good night - despite being roped in as a model of 'presenting well' without warning, lol.

The Henry Carter ties were won by two non-SF attendees, which is great since that will give Jas more exposure than if one of the converted had walked off with them :)

The sockless guy was Michael, great bloke and chair of the Expert Network committee. Never seen him go sans socks ever before and he remarked (at least semi-seriously I think) that it was because he'd flown in from NZ that day and literally had no clean socks to wear! Lucky he was heading to an iGent event.

And yes, it is quite possible that the next event will feature the DM guys, we're in discussion.

13. Pink Socks

Thanks lennier,

Yeah Michael looked good and seemed like a great guy...was not sure if he was joking about the holiday thing or not but who cares...it was a highlight for me because of my running joke with fxh about socklessness (he loves it).

Did not realise Coxaca was there...probably spoke to him and did not make the connection.

Was really hoping for a new HC tie, but them going to non SFer is probably a good thing.

My suggestion would be to get Nice Guy Gerry and/or Christian involved for some shoe shining tips (hope they do not mind me nominating them). You might already have that or something better planned.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  14. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Well-Known Member

One might say he was “deflowered”... if only he had a place to “debrief”...

1 person likes this.
  15. herringbonePete

herringbonePete Well-Known Member

Quote:Hi Socks! And to all of you, I am now putting faces to usernames... Coxaca was the medico in grey. There was a slight titter when he introduced himself as he pronounced his username in a way that guaranteed mirth. It's all clear now! I see this is infact, my second post - 2 years after my 'maiden' post which went down like a lead balloon. I was the new guy wearing my City Of London charcoal herringbone suit, tailored from that era of my life. Cheers!

16. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Well-Known Member

Great to hear the function was a success lennier :)

Thanks to those who provided feedback on the black peacoat, sounds quite positive so I shall resume grabbing one with the end of season clean out.

17. boff

boff Well-Known Member

I think you'd get more use from navy rather than black. Any recommendations for suppliers?

18. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

I bought a J Crew peacoat in February this year have gotten marginal use from this winter in Canberra. It was quite cheap due to it being on sale and in a final close out. Now would not be the time to buy one from the US or UK as you would pay full price and then some with the state of the dollar (sigh).

I have gotten a bit of use out of black car coat this year, but overall navy would be more versatile and traditional for a pea coat.

19. kayhill

kayhill Well-Known Member

Thanks. I didn't get side adjusters, but I totally regret that decision now - I was a bit risk adverse and passed up the opportunity to try a suit with side adjusters.

Haha, some of my posts are purely for a laugh. Small world indeed.

20. boff

boff Well-Known Member

I just got back from having my portrait taken by Hugh Stewart at MJ Bale, Woollahra. Much to my surprise it wasn't rushed in the slightest. He took time to chat and build up a little rapport then spent a good ten to fifteen snapping away until he was happy. Big up to MJ Bale for laying this on. :slayer:
    I only glanced at the work, his assistant will email me the contact sheet in a few days but it looked good.

I wore an MJ Bale suit (natch), the blue/grey striped flannel number that TBM seems to be having such a hard time flogging. Of course now I wish I'd thought more about the shirt (pale blue), tie (black knit) and PS (pink polka dot cotton) but I didn't want to be a complete pansy about the whole thing (i.e. trying to look like I hadn't tried too hard).
    Highly recommended if anyone needs a snap (presents, linked in profiles even!).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.