1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Well-Known Member

Nice, what sort of suit did you end up going for?

The other guys might have better suggestions but I believe the woodlore or Allen Edmonds ones through amazon are among the most affordable vs descent.

Floresheim sell them online as well, I prefer the two mentioned above but if you don't want to order internationally then its an option.

2. Barry O

Barry O Member

Amazon is looking like the cheapest. Roughly $27USD shipped per tree.

Dark blue fabric. Peak lapels (my first), soft shoulders, patch pockets, half canvased. Side tab adjusters (also my first), flat fronts and cuffs (also another first!).

3. tobiasj

tobiasj Well-Known Member

4. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Well-Known Member

Great, look forward to catching up.

5. ryanohare

ryanohare Well-Known Member

Matt from SuitShop dropped my new 3-piece off last night.

Excuse the woeful photo (and tieknot). The suit is actually a lighter grey than it looks on this photo.

The only photo I got off the trousers came out so dark it wasn't even worth posting. The waistcoat needed taken in by 1cm so Matt had taken it with him by the time I got round to taking a photo. I'll post another snap next week in better light when it's all complete.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  6. boff

boff Well-Known Member

Are any Sydney members considering having their portrait taken by Hugh Stewart at MJ Bale in Sydney tomorrow (or Saturday)? He's a brilliant photographer, and whilst I am under no illusions that I'll get anywhere near the same treatment he affords his regular subjects (http://www.hughstewart.com/portraiture01.html), the opportunity to get snapped by one of the worlds best seems to good to pass up.
    Plus I'm 40 this year and if comes out OK it'll be a nice present for mum (or at least a record of the start of a disgraceful decline into middle age).
    Think I'm going to aim for 10ish tomorrow am.

7. lennier

lennier Well-Known Member

Disgracefully is the only way to decline in to middle age.

8. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

That's good to know, as I'm already following that path.

9. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Went out last night to the Melbourne Town Hall - good venue - middle of CBD - to see the Melbourne Conservatorium of Music Symphony Orchestra - Melbourne Uni students - do Barbers Adagio for Strings and Shostakovitch No 5.

Always enjoy Barbers and I wish I was more familiar with Shostakovitch No 5 - as the back story of it is fascinating with the suggestion he was brow beaten by Stalin and wrote an apology and soviet realist work with a lot of sneering and subtle F** you into the piece. I'm not sophisticated enough to know if thats true but it seems feasible to me on listening.

The concert was @7.30pm. I'd been out all day over the other side of town in hipster central Thornbury fixing up a flat, there was a storm as well - it was freezing and I got back home and at 5pm or so - then had to put on a trailer to car, and go and pick up a wardrobe. In peak hour traffic aaagggh ---- Take it home and inside. Have a shower get dressed and get into city. I was tired, grubby , dirty and nearly didn't go - so I just grabbed what I had on the other day , old OCBD blue with red stripes, blue chinos (cuffed like an igent @ 2"), burgundy leather chukkas, and grey tweed herringbone jacket with red window pane subtle - clean white T shirt. I was a bit coy as I thought I should have worn a tie at least and perhaps not tweed. (also I have only just got navy blue chinos and don't really feel comfortable in them because of the navy colour).

Anyway - aside from the orchestra in dinner suits - I didn't see anyone in a tie and I was possibly one of the most overdressed audience members in a sea of dad's jeans and parkas and fleece jackets.

Its a funny old world isn't it.

The conductor visiting, Larry Rachleff from USA (the Larry is a bit of a giveaway as to which country isn't it - whats Larry short for?) wore a Nehru suit. Seemed to be made of Tencel the way it shimmered and wafted. Could have been good except it was too long - well maybe Nehru suits jackets can be long and his trousers were too wide,sloppy and pooled up with about 5 breaks at the rear.

I think I'd approve of a good Nehru suit on a conductor - seems about right sometimes.

10. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

He sounds like a bit of a Leisure Suit Larry (that's a blast from the past).

Larry is usually short for Lawrence (cf Lawrence "Larry" Summers, former US Treasury Secretary and former President of Harvard University).

11. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

yeah - I should have remembered Larry Olivier. etc

12. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

ha I used to love Leisure Suit Larry - I saw somewhere it had been revived - any code poets here remember by who ? I think it was a free or FOSS?

13. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

Yes I have noticed that no one gets dressed for orchestral events for some years now. I used to go to a lot of SSO performances back in the 80's and 90's I would wear a suit, on all occasions. But I guess your observation just affirms the general adoption of casual dress for all occasions is the new Norm.

When I was a Theatre Manager in WW and it was a major event, Bell Shakespeare for example, people would turn out in their best. Suits from the townies, tweed from the land. Mind you I have noticed that here in Canberra at both the theatre and musical events the best dress people are all over 60.

As for a Nehru jacket on a conductor no thanks. And if you can the Adams conducts Adams MSO program in Melbourne is worth going too, far superior to what he is conducting with the SSO in Sydney.

14. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

I still see a few suits and sport coats at the odd SSO concert I've attended in the last couple years or so. Not many but a few.

15. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

I should add it was a free sponsored concert on a cold Wednesday night at the Town Hall not the recital centre or Concert hall and with essentially a student orchestra. But still.

Oh also I'm all in favour of "classical" music being a bit more "accessible" (if its a bit overused term to excuse making an effort on lots of things) - and if that means jeans at times then I guess...... still I would have expected a few ties and a few more tailored jackets.

16. Foxhound

Foxhound Well-Known Member

Saw some dude in a suit at Metallica.

Also Lesuire Suit Larry. So surprised they aren't making them anymore.

17. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

I think classical music is a lot more 'accessible' and has been for a long time, events such as Symphony/Opera in the Domain have done a lot. Also the end of the distinction between 'high' and 'low' culture which is really no excuse for not dressing well when you go out.

I remember a piece the SMH had in the gig guide advising heavy metal nerds on classical music, Dimitri was at the forefront with the 8th Symphony.

18. FredAstaire1899

FredAstaire1899 Well-Known Member

I went to the opening night of the Vienna Philharmonic at the Sydney Opera House in 2011. Despite the orchestra being in white tie, a baritone who sung with the orchestra wore a lounge suit that didn't fit and un-polished shoes. A few gentlemen in the boxes wore black tie. Some wore a navy blazer and a tie. Other wore jeans and running sneakers. On the Friday performance, I also saw Bob Carr in black tie, and Paul Keating in a navy blazer.

19. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

That might have been shooman. I seem to recall him fantasising about wearing and suit and Edward Greens to a death metal concert.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.