1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blahman

blahman Well-Known Member

On a more serious note. Has fashion finally begin shifting away from skinny lapels again? Saw a few Dolce and Gabban jackets with wider lapels now...

2. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

fxh - It looks far too new and bright! You need to wear it for another decade and wash it about another 500 times.

3. sliq

sliq Well-Known Member

depending on your location, if you can stretch it to $850 or so, check out suitshop. iirc that's their pricepoint for a half canvassed suit. i went to have my second fitting today with them and i was mightily impressed. my mate also came with me to have his second fitting for his sharkskin suit and his was very elegant.

4. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Well-Known Member

Hey all, hope everyones weekend is going well :) Doing some early spring cleaning has prompted me with some questions

Whats everyone do with their older clothes? For example I must have about 30 collared shirts hanging up that I haven't worn in about 2 years. Most of them are descent, classic styles, id say half need some darting because ive lost weight, the other half are FC (which I have gone off a little). Do you guys store them for later on eg maybe youll love FC again some time and those could be handy or do you just toss them because by the time that comes around youll probably prefer to get something new made up anyway?

Also whats the best way to store ties? I always thought it was on specific tie hangers but getting into knit ties recently I noticed some pics on the board of peoeple who have their ties folded and just laid in draws?

1 person likes this.
  5. coxaca

coxaca Well-Known Member

I didn't fancy the look of those boat shoes in the glossy advert I saw (in the Qantas mag I think).

I purchased a pair of Craftsmen about three months ago. Boots were full price, but I scored a free waterproof jacket and a 50% discount on a beautiful Italian glazed-leather overnight bag, which brought its price down to about $250. Stupendous deal overall.

6. kayhill

kayhill Well-Known Member

In my opinion clothes you no longer wear should either be sold (as I'm currently doing with my gumtree ad - shameless plug) or donated to charity. Realistically, if you're the type to keep buying clothes you won't ever really go back to the older ones you no longer wear - I figure there has to be a reason you stopped wearing them in the first place. Even if it's just because you like your new clothes better and there's nothing wrong with the old ones.

If you're really creative you can also make pocket squares out of old shirts.

From what I have read, ties should be stored in one of the following ways:
    On a hanger that won't have the ties touching such as this: http://www.hangerproject.com/cedar-tie-organizer-1.html
    or,
    Rolled up and stored in individual mini shelves: http://booshmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Necktie-racks.jpg

Make sure you don't hang up your ties somewhere where they're likely to get a lot of sunlight. It will make the silk turn yellow ... I learnt that the hard way after living in a cramped studio in the CBD for 2 years :/

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  7. coxaca

coxaca Well-Known Member

I make a lot of impulsive clothing purchases and generally have way too many clothes. So every now and then I do a massive clean-out. My main criteria are: when was the last time I actually wore this? How likely am I to wear it again? Have I struggled to incorporate this item into my outfits due to its inherent weirdness? What is the likelihood that I will kick myself at some point for having got rid of it?

I go through my entire wardrobe this way and create a pile of stuff to chuck. Then I wait a week. Finally I go through my entire wardrobe again, even more critically this time; and last of all I go through the "chuck" pile and pull one or two items out for a reprieve.

Generally I will then take the "chuck" pile down to a Smith Family bin and consign it. I never try to sell stuff on eBay. Too much hassle. I had a perfectly good set of evening coat-tails which were MTM for me in Germany twenty-odd years ago, now too small for me overall and with slight fabric foxing on the front panels. Thought about listing it on the 'bay, but when I checked, there was a similar one for sale with a starting price of $50 and no bids, and I just thought bugger this, added it to a pile of about ten suits and a full cashmere YSL overcoat which made me look like an SS officer, and gave the lot to Diabetes Australia.

The world is going mad with mass-produced clothing. Take a walk through H&M or Zara or GAP and scope out all the rubbishy garments made to be worn once or at most twice. Everyone is filling up their hanging space with this crap, which is so flimsy it can't even be given away. Where does all that fabric fibre eventually end up? In the ocean. Apparently there are now giant aggregates of fabric fibre just floating in the middle of the Pacific. Micro-particles of this stuff are clogging up surface water, choking marine micro-organisms and plankton, blocking sunlight from penetrating down into the water immediately below the surface, and generally wreaking devastation on marine biosystems. Meanwhile, the massive garment production industry in southern China, south-east Asia and other developing countries is generating untold amounts of land degradation and atmospheric pollution.

It's insanity on a global scale, and I am probably in the top 1% of contributors by fabric weight.

I have to stop buying clothes...

2 people like this.
  8. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I like your approach coxaca with the waiting a week and kayhill makes a good point too, pretty sure I've rarely gone backwards rather than just buying a new item. Will ask some questions and make some piles, even if I can cut half will be a good start I think. I definitely find myself gravitating towards a handful of favourites more than anything, guess we all do.

Regarding the waste, yeah I dont think its limited to clothes coxaca, pretty sure its a side effect of the consumption driven societies and lifestyles we now all participate in. Ive seen something on the floating islands of garbage you mentioned, pretty scary to think about. Most items from clothes to large household goods are designed to be disposable (relatively speaking) now. Maybe ill do my part and burn anything im going to toss, can't end up in the ocean that way but then im sure id be doing damage to the ozone or something else, so can't win.

9. thebrownman

thebrownman Well-Known Member

In the past, things that weren't donated to op shops, my mum would take in a suitcase to India when visiting her parents (both of whom were heavily active in social work), and she'd donate all threads to clothe the underprivileged. The teenagers didn't know what the labels were, but they wore them with more style and a bigger smile than I've ever seen on this forum.

3 people like this.
  10. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

Yes the question of too much stuff and what to do with it extends beyond clothing in our house. I have a library so none of that goes, but HB PB fiction is kept for 12 months then once I wife friends have read it either a) cart to second hand book store sell and what they don't want give to Vinnies. b) go direct to Vinnies with it.

I know there are readers here want to exchange books? PM if interested cyberpunk. and modern fiction also other topical stuff.

Old glasses found program run by Lions who take then and box them off to Africa, optician goes to village and people try on till find a pair that suits them, they are always on the lookout for more I think OPSM collect for them.

Clothing once every two years spring/ autumn go through wardrobe and cull send to Vinnies.

Music this is problematic CD collection keeps growing, merde where too put it? Reached conclusion that if not played in 12 months then pull it out listen if not impressed sell.

When we moved a few years back I paired down kitchen pots, pans, plates cups so thankfully not much excess, except wife just broke 4 wine glasses in a week, MERDE! and while sober.

As former academic I had shit load of teaching material which I tossed last year, computers, ipods, found a local school that has big refugee group gave that to them and PS1 with games, then found PS 2 sitting in shed with games and given to Salvos.

Overall try and keep stuff under control, mind you want new pair of RM Rigger boots, and these http://meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=4054 and need new suit or two once weight stabilises..

11. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

Just ordered the Ettinger Piccadilly Tote in Olive/Havana - I don't work in an office so I can justify it not being too "business"

Interestingly Henry Bucks had it for $410 with free shipping. The Armoury and Ettinger direct were c.$500!

12. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

on another note - 20% off store wide at O&J. 3sixteen, popovers etc all included

1 person likes this.
  13. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Blah - that bear is clearly in a duffel coat by those closings.I'm nearly as hairy.

Its a very bright blue. I rarely see a blue that exact colour. Its in the machine at the moment. Theres a lot to be said for a good washable work jacket and pants. They have sensible pockets designed for real practical things like carpenters pencils, hammers, mobiles, money, chisels, tape measure etc. Theres a lot to learn from work jackets. Mine came from a small hardware store in Toulouse. $24.95 aud
    http://www.molinel.com/fiche_produit.php?produits_id=151&univers=1&gamme=3&ligne=

http://www.molinel.com/fiche_produit.php?produits_id=202&univers=1&gamme=3&ligne=

14. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

Questions for my bros:

1. All ready to put down for some white and light blue pinpoint shirts from MJ Bale tomorrow. This weave cool for CBD or would it upset Lady Flo?

2. I'm considering picking up some jeans from the RMWs 2 for $220 deal. Definitely grabbing an indigo linesmen, but should I go a pair of moleskins for a second pair? I'm thinking it might be too hot to wear as an all season fabric and a bone suede denim might be a better bet.

15. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Well-Known Member

Buy a pair of 3-Sixteen from O&J instead.

16. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

I respect the look but it's not me.

1 person likes this.
  17. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

Moleskin's are winter only wear west of the divide. I worse some in Sydney a couple of years back in July and cooked.

Bone denim might be good but you need the Macqusrie's and a well beaten Akubra to go with them, otherwise forget it.

18. Spandexter

Spandexter Well-Known Member

Ok, I'm in for a pair. So if I'm a size 31 in my dress pants I'm what in 3sixteen (would prefer to not have my balls busted)?

19. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

Nice post.

20. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

I'd go the moleskins but then it's a lot colder down here and I spend a fair amount of time both on our family farm out of town and down at my cousins in Batlow, so I'd get a fair bit of wear out of them. For a city boy I'd go with 2 lots of denim.

Speaking of country wear, I was checking out the Baxters boots yesterday in our local horse/saddle shop and they really look like a good cheaper alternative to RM's for people that want something like that but don't want to spend the coin. I think the lady said they are around the $160-$200 mark, and still made in Goulburn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.