1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Well-Known Member

Fixed that for you.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. nabilmust

nabilmust Well-Known Member

Chill, Winston.

3. Superfudge

Superfudge Well-Known Member

This is a really interesting point. I'm looking for a pair of snuff suede captoes and I'm looking at getting a pair of Polo Belgraves from C&J, but Carmina has a similar model that is significantly cheaper.

Is the common opinion still that Meermin and Carmina share the same factory? I have a pair of double monks from Meermin and I find them uncomfortable after a day's wear, the sole is just too stiff; whereas my C&J's are always comfortable.

4. Foxhound

Foxhound Well-Known Member

Thanks for this tips guys, I'll let it soak in and give it a go. Yes was using renomat then renovateour then cream then wax.

5. thebrownman

thebrownman Well-Known Member

Meermin and Carmina don't share the same factory. They have a family connection and that's about it. Everything else is different. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

The Polo Belgraves are a great looking shoe. Not sure which Carmina model you're referring to but I think Carmina shoes are fantastic. I'd agree that they fit between C&J Handgrade and C&J Benchgrade in terms of quality. They'd be better than C&J Handgrade for me IF they wer calf they used was more pliable fresh out of the box. C&J Handgrade shoes break in easily - the calf is butter soft, Carmina isn't. However, what sells Carmina for me is the elegance of them - they're, for me at least, better looking shoes. There's a European flair that is lacking in C&J. The 348 from C&J has been described as an 'Italianate' last, but it's too aggressive for me. And other lasts tend not to fit me as well as I'd like, but that's all relative.

1 person likes this.
  6. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

Yep way too much going on to the shoe. You can bull a shoe easily on any half decent calf leather with a coat of renovateur, left to soak in then buffed. Then 1-2 coats of normal polish buffed normally and well with a brush, and then start the bulling with a cloth. I'm not a fan of it generally except on black captoes if I'm going to a formal event.

Don't think you need saphir this and that for it to work either, kiwi wax works perfectly fine from the supermarket. Blokes in the army have been managing to do it for years without anything fancy, just spit, wax, a rag and lots of elbow grease.

7. g-banger

g-banger Well-Known Member

Correcto - they are totally different companies

Source - http://the-shoe-aristocat.blogspot.com.au/2013/01/meermin-shoes-from-spain-for-every.html

8. thebrownman

thebrownman Well-Known Member

Phew! Passed that part of #menswear 101 .. now to perfect looking nonchalant on a cobblestone street while smoking a ciggie..

1 person likes this.
  9. jas0nt

jas0nt Well-Known Member

That's correct - only similarity is their surnames.

I think Carmina's leather feels softer and smoother than C&J BG's but not sure about HG's. I have a pair of Carminas in the Forest last (732's in Burgundy) and I think it's a good mix between classic and stylish. The 348's are as aggressive as I could tolerate for a shoe (check out G&G which takes it to another level).

10. burnso

burnso Well-Known Member

Nabil runs a class Mon/ Wed/ Fri [​IMG]

11. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Its hard not to look furtive, rather than nonchalant*, having a ciggie in a melbourne lane these days.

*Small quiz:: Name one song that uses the word nonchalant.

12. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Its the wax that makes the glossy surface.
    There are even those who argue Kiwi is best. Kiwi do make a Parade Ground Gloss or a similar named nugget.

Long term Kiwi isn't that great for shoes all over but use it to practice getting a gloss.
    Pull back on the creams for a while if you want to try the mirror finish.
    Any clear wax with Carnauba wax in it will achieve the effect. I think Saphir says it has beeswax as well.

All that is happening is you are heating the wax(s) making them more soft/liquid by rubbing and also pushing them into the tiny holes and depressions in the leather to make a build up of wax in a smooth, dare I say it, mirror like finish. Thin layer after thin layer. Small increments, small layers, one or two fingers, an old white cotton T shirt, some spit or a small amount of water. My advice is that if its a good pair of shoes then practice on the heel - not the toe, until you are happy. Its good to do the heel if you are driving - protects it a bit. You are building up a layer of shiney wax that when cool will form surface that will repel water and gunk and sometimes crack and it wont let the cream in. Every now and then you'll need to strip the wax off and do the old cream to give the shoe a drink trick.

Even though I've done it plenty of times I'm not fan of it.

13. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Heres me getting ready to shine my shoes on a calf.

Its an important shoe care step - as you know the leather comes from calf - calf skin - and to keep it consistent the only way is to bring it back to similar in nature - calf to calf.

[​IMG] Details: Hat: old Akubra rabbit skin, Shirt: Luxire Custom, Zip fleece: Op Shop, Boots: Carmina, Jeans: Rivers.

14. lachyzee

lachyzee Well-Known Member

I like most of the new MJB Lookbook. They've gone for a lot more conservative styles and fits, even for spring/summer, which is right down my alley. Probably because, in part, they are fitting sportsmen's bodies and not rake thin models.

Unfortunately, the lighting is so dark for a lot of the photos that's it's quite difficult to see some of the products.

15. ryanohare

ryanohare Well-Known Member

Omari Shakiri - Nonchalant.

What do I win?

16. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

Gents, any suggestions on a filson overnight bag?

17. nabilmust

[​IMG]

I really burst out in laughter. True story.

Cigarettes have disappeared for more than 12 weeks already (I've lost track of how long it's been since I quit).

2 people like this.
  18. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Link?

I did a quick search, but all I could see on the internet were lookbooks for past seasons.

19. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

20. nabilmust

Sydney meetups: it's a real thing -- http://bit.ly/197bRAi

And finally, the weather is right for this ridiculous tweed. Ridiculous because it was made while I was in Singapore - and not even the lightest summer weight tweed can be worn in Singapore.

[​IMG]

Everything made in Singapore. Except the watch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.