• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also check out fxh brand loafer socks. Also known as "socks".

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Muji ones are comfortable, don't roll down - but they aren't completely "no-show":-

I would describe them as pretty much no show. I can't imagine going any lower than that.

PoP - you are wering yours with jeans, so it isn't as though you can see very much ankle. I would wear what you are wearing. But, what happens when you are wearing shorts?

burnso

Reaction score
Burnso, can you reccomend anywhere else I can get 'ankle socks' that can be worn with loafers and sneakers? The ones that are quite short, but are durable and snug?
Syzy, firstly you're an animal for wearing no socks at all ;p
I have bought from rebel sports and the vans shop (converse and vans brands). At $10 ea its worth grabbing a pair or two to try out.
Might have to look into those Muji ones though...

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for these Fxh. I will make sure I get a pair, so when I am next out with Dame Edna, I won't feel out of place. Chardonnay!
Syzy, firstly you're an animal for wearing no socks at all ;p
I have bought from rebel sports and the vans shop (converse and vans brands). At $10 ea its worth grabbing a pair or two to try out.
Might have to look into those Muji ones though...
Bernie Banton, I think I will just settle with Rebel or Vans. It will mean leaving the house, which I am afraid to do.

Joking.
Rebel and Converse tends to pill after 10 washes. For $10 a pair, that is probably pretty reasonable. And Nabil buys stuff from his travels to SEA, so forget Muji, we can't get them here. It is like people that recommend Uniqlo for when you are next in Japan - it is very annoying.

That better not be you PoP. I even think Joe Bananas would have a hard time selling that look.
eek.gif
. Far out. (From the waist down).

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re HATS
Anyway - as I was saying - I was at a funeral in a hot provincial city the other day and I counted around 20 men out of around 70 or so blokes, at the graveside service, wearing hats. A majority of these were sporting either white or coffee or dun coloured Panama types. ( I say type as I think they varied a lot from "real" Panamas) the rest were similar colours and materials but more stingy brimmed. The wider brims looked better.

I came to the conclusion that , certainly in this context, the Panamas were well accepted, looked appropriate and are probably an emerging sensible trend.*

Out of 70 - 100 blokes around 30% wore suits and ties. About 2% wore proper shoes. Only about 15% wore dark suits. Only about 5% wore dark ties and white shirts. There were some in shorts, sandals, no socks and short sleeved shirts. And everything in between.

* and surprisingly worked OK in this context - outside funeral hot sun - with dark formal wear. Probably because they are clearly very practical rather than fashion ironic..

Last edited:

burnso

Reaction score
Joking.
Rebel and Converse tends to pill after 10 washes. For $10 a pair, that is probably pretty reasonable. And Nabil buys stuff from his travels to SEA, so forget Muji, we can't get them here. It is like people that recommend Uniqlo for when you are next in Japan - it is very annoying.
The vans are actually superior, going well for (I think) 3 summers now
edit: but the cons have held up well and are comfy. I hate annoying **** so would've tossed them if they sucked...

Last edited:

Marbles

Reaction score
Disgraceful that people think they can show up looking like they're just dropping in to a funeral on their way to the beach. Paying your respects indeed...

Melbourne guys, I'm staying a St Kilda tonight & tomorrow, looking for a decent venue to eat/have a few quiet drinks tonight without paying a fortune for taxis. Friendly atmosphere would be great too as I'm flying solo tonight

TIA,
Rob

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Re HATS
Anyway - as I was saying - I was at a funeral in a hot provincial city the other day and I counted around 20 men out of around 70 or so blokes, at the graveside service, wearing hats. A majority of these were sporting either white or coffee or dun coloured Panama types. ( I say type as I think they varied a lot from "real" Panamas) the rest were similar colours and materials but more stingy brimmed. The wider brims looked better.

I came to the conclusion that , certainly in this context, the Panamas were well accepted, looked appropriate and are probably an emerging sensible trend.*

Out of 70 - 100 blokes around 30% wore suits and ties. About 2% wore proper shoes. Only about 15% wore dark suits. Only about 5% wore dark ties and white shirts. There were some in shorts, sandals, no socks and short sleeved shirts. And everything in between.

* and surprisingly worked OK in this context - outside funeral hot sun - with dark formal wear. Probably because they are clearly very practical rather than fashion ironic..
Actually the last time I wore a felt hat with a suit was on a hot summer's day at an outdoor funeral. Glad I had it too, even though I probably looked like Johnny Cash.

PapaRubbery

Reaction score
Disgraceful that people think they can show up looking like they're just dropping in to a funeral on their way to the beach. Paying your respects indeed...

Agreed 100%.

When my grandmother passed away, I flew up to Bundaberg for her funeral. Would have been half a dozen of us in a suit, out of the 100+ attendees.

I get that Bundy is the land of rum and coke, sugar cane and unemployment benefits, but my god.

A Hawaiian shirt, shorts and VB thongs doesn't say I'm sorry for your loss.

nabilmust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And Nabil buys stuff from his travels to SEA, so forget Muji, we can't get them here. It is like people that recommend Uniqlo for when you are next in Japan - it is very annoying.

Cut me some slack, guv. I just moved here from Singapore less than half a year ago, and I bought them while I still lived there.

Yes, you can't get them here - but it doesn't negate it as an option. It's not as if no one here has a passport and doesn't travel once in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads