1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boff

boff Well-Known Member

I saw one (just the jacket) in MJ Bale around Christmas time. Try calling.

2. boff

boff Well-Known Member

I found a picture of it. Spring/Summer 2011, so I must have seen it in their sale. Doubt they have any left.
    [​IMG]

3. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

I think you are going to have to learn how to wash by hand or in the shower - not all that bad for shirts s y'know.

In the good old days when working around - we used to get large Esky - half ( must have space to slop) fill with water and soap, keep it in the boot of the car, and throw in shirts, jeans etc. after a day driving around it would slosh around and wash clothes - pull out and rinse. Tie to aerial or roof rack to dry or lay it over hot bonnet.

edit:: I thought you said you were moving in with someone else's wife. Sorry.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  4. lukejackson

lukejackson Well-Known Member

Yes, I think at some point Ralph Lauren stocked them here. But a few years ago. I've tried Brooks Brothers (they have some, though I'm hesitant about the fit), J.Crew (not this season), and J.C.Penny, which actually have a nice one, (I know the quality will be questionable) but apparently it is quite short.

Not sure why it isn't popular in Australia though? Perfect for the heat right? That's actually why I'm looking for one, S.E.Asia next year.

Thanks Boff! I'm guessing it's mostly sold out. No loss though, not a fan of the thicker stripes.

EDIT: Might try ebay, seems to be lots on offer from the US.

5. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Have a look at the one in the Jos A Banks link in my original post, too.

6. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

I reckon those stripes are too broad and too bright to work. They need to be small enough and close enough together to look solid from a distance. The jacket is a bit short - but I suppose thats a preference.( although that is getting close to NQR)

I have seersucker shirts - a complete suit is always enticing but I cant see it working here. Too Colonel Sanders, old man and right wing Republican. (Actually Oli probably has one)
    [​IMG]

If you are really keen the old USA stores especially southern will have them.

http://www.paulfredrick.com/Catalog/PFProducts.aspx?q=srsckrstsps;

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Seersucker-Fitzgerald-Fit-Suit/MK00012,default,pd.html

http://www.oconnellsclothing.com/product.php?productid=21479&cat=256&page=1

A Missouri state senator tried tacking on an amendment to an education bill that would have prohibited residents who are older than 8 from wearing suits made of seersucker.
    “Any person living in this state aged eight and under may wear seersucker suits at their leisure,” state Sen. Ryan McKenna, a Democrat, wrote of his amendment, as cited in an Esquire article. “Any person over the age of eight living in this state many not wear seersucker suits because adults look ridiculous in seersucker suits.”

The bill itself, meanwhile, defines “the way the state funds public institutions of higher education,” Esquire reported.

Mr. McKenna ultimately withdrew his amendment.

“It probably wasn’t germane to the bill,” he admitted, as Esquire reported, adding that “it was all in jest, anyway.”

Mr. McKenna’s hatred of seersucker runs deep. It’s also fueled by a consortium of colleagues who show legislative solidarity by wearing the material, Esquire reported. The senator said he felt bullied by their materialistic displays and driven to introduce the ban, the outlet reported
    Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ker-tries-ban-seersucker-suits/#ixzz2bGGeBAR7
    Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

7. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Well-Known Member

Ralph Lauren Harbourtown Gold Coast - Did have them. Give them a buzz bruzz

8. Foxhound

Foxhound Well-Known Member

Mine was last year at 18, half way through year 12, decided it was time to present myself well to the world, and stop wearing Halo, Iron Maiden, and Slayer shirts outside of the house. Now I love fashion.
    Haha, I'm surprised no one went there first. Haha fair enough then.
    And no, I'm not single. The correct term is "Forever Alone" :)

9. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

Now you love style, not fashion.

And there's nothing wrong with a rock and roll t-shirt in your 20s. Don't wish your life away.

10. lachyzee

lachyzee Well-Known Member

11. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Well-Known Member

I always like the idea of Seersucker, but it always looked a bit off whenever I tried it. I have a pair of Brooks Brothers trousers, which are far too big for me and I plan to eBay at some point.

It seems perfect for the weather here, but would need to be done in a understated way. I believe the name means Milk and Sugar, which I like - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seersucker

Seersucker worn in a not too costumey way - http://www.refinery29.com/2013/07/50842/paris-review-office#slide-8

[​IMG]

Ovadia and Sons did some seersucker recently which looked good -

[​IMG]

http://ovadiaandsons.tumblr.com/post/47751146877/the-indigo-seersucker-suit
    http://www.ikkon.com/designers/ovadia-and-sons/indigo-seersucker-summer-suit-jacket.html
    http://www.ovadiaandsons.com/shop/products/Indigo-Seersucker-Summer-Suit.html

1 person likes this.
  12. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Well-Known Member

This works if you have the luxury of not living in the desert.

Seriously, summer wins here. One HAS to compromise. You want to walk to the supermarket in 45 C heat (or 38 C after the sun goes down) in trousers be my guest. I, on the other hand, don some shorts, forget about style for awhile, and don't drown in a pool of my own sweat - I don't have great legs, but hey there are times one has to just go with it.

On the other hand, SWD shorts can be really, really cool - MC shorts are fucking godawful, dull, unflattering and grotesque.

13. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

I have 3 sartorial modes -
    - Work - CBD dress
    - 'casual dandy' - usually jeans, chinos and an odd jacket. I wear these on dates, to lunches, functions etc
    - Slob clothing - for uni, weekends and anywhere I don't care to be seen.

Shorts get worn for slob clothing.

14. Kyon

Kyon Member

Another call for expression of interest in a Sydney screening of I Colori di Antonio, a documentary by the folks at The Armoury? It's largely an excuse to get together for dinner or drinks afterwards, but might interest people who just want to see the film.

It is likely to take place at the University of New South Wales, it's one of the few places I can secure a room large enough for something like this. However, I have a few other places in mind.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  15. lukejackson

lukejackson Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the input. The problem with it is I think a lot of the time seersucker is aimed at a slightly older generation (I'm in my 20s) and thus the fit is hard to get right. I prefer a trim fitting suit as due to my height and slim nature, it becomes fairly obvious if something doesn't fit well. The Jos A Banks one is cheap, looks promising.

Ideally it's just something to wear around town or for lunch etc. This photo inspired me below:

[​IMG]

These are the only other decent ones I could find (just so you know I'm not some conservative bastion of deep south republicanism):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. LonerMatt

Check BnTailor's tumblr for awesome seersucker:

http://bntailor.tumblr.com/

Also echo PS's notion of the navy/indigo seersucker - excellent looking fabric.

1 person likes this.
  17. Duxnuts

Duxnuts Active Member

Quote:
    This is just tops! Something like that could definitely make its way into my wardrobe for spring carnival.

Although I don't think I really like the patch pockets... can't really see them but the look massive.

18. Foxhound

Foxhound Well-Known Member

I have some of the best ideas for Summer. Cannot wait to try them out.

19. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

I do like their Tumblr blog, and they have some good photos and good outfits.

However, I despair over this look (well, not really, as I don't have that much emotional energy invested in #menswear):

http://bntailor.tumblr.com/post/57503172632/b-tailor-made-h-s-linen-suit-b-tailor-made-soktas

This is endemic at The Armoury, too - tailor-made trousers (by Ambrosi, no less, for the folks at The Armoury) worn with clip-on braces. Why? If you're going to have a pair of trousers made especially for you, why not have them made with braces buttons, instead of wearing clip-on braces? To me, clip-on braces look decidedly cheap and undistinguished. Most "#menswear" people wouldn't dream of wearing a clip-on bow tie, but it's curiously alright to wear clip-on braces.

Anyway, rant over.

1 person likes this.
  20. LonerMatt

I can honestly say, JM, that of all the things under the sun I care about, whether braces are clip on or buttoned doesn't even rate a mention. Does it really matter?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.