1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Those boys from Armoury now own Drakes. I suspect the marketing has changed.

2. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

There comes a time in a man's life, for me it was at 11 yo, when he must decide if he wants to be dressed by his mum and remain infantalised and a boy all his life, or he will work to maturity and become grownup. This is when he rejects shorts and the kids life they symbolise.

I do concede that perhaps at the beach, or playing a sport, or at home behind closed door on a hot day, shorts might be practical. But however practical they are they are not an aesthetic decision for a grown man. Never.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  3. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

True, although they've owned it for a few years now. In fact, I think that the company that owns The Armoury bought Drake's shortly before The Armoury store actually opened in HK.

From Put This On:

Of course, that doesn't contradict anything that you said, fxh, but I just thought I'd provide a bit more background material.

4. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Well-Known Member

OK, since there are experts on every topic on this thread, I am hoping someone might be able to help with a small issue. My question is (slightly) clothing related.

My wife and I are moving into a new place and the space for the washing machine (see it is clothes related) is tiny. The washing machine needs to be 17 inches (41cm) or less in width, or if a top loader, could be 17 inches (41cm) or less in depth (and go in sideways). Does anyone have any suggestions where I would find a machine of that size?

Any (useful) help appreciated (I am all for going sockless, but I would prefer that to be in summer by choice rather than out of necessity).

5. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

FXH,

What do you think of drizabones with a suit?

Some do it tastefully

[​IMG]

But then there's this

[​IMG]

And then this happened

[​IMG]

6. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

oli - you know what I'd think of drizabones with a suit.

7. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

No.

It's a functional garment for getting around your farm on a wet day. They are also slimy, smelly things that should be left on your verandah and never worn indoors.

fxh will disagree though. I know for certain he is a fan of "the look".

8. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

This is the sort of thing the nerds over on whirlpool would probably be all over.

My suggestion is to put it somewhere else or rip out the space.

9. Pink Socks

Thanks fxh, might post something there too but the Thread Members would certainly not be as well dressed.

I am only a lowly renter (trying to balance clothing purchase with saving for a deposit..) so ripping out the space is not really an option and from my view of the place there is only one space the machine would work (in terms of taps and drainage etc).

10. nabilmust

nabilmust Well-Known Member

Mark and his dad bought over Drakes. Drakes was on the brink of insolvency at that point of time.

1 person likes this.
  11. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

oh ok - I'm sure* theres mini machines around - theres even tiny dishwashers for on bench.

* I'm not sure just guessing

12. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

Phew. Thanks for the concession. Won't have to turn up to training in...

[​IMG]

13. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG][/URL]

There are more shorts in heaven and earth fxh,
    Than are lacking in your wardrobe.

14. lachyzee

lachyzee Well-Known Member

On the other hand, a Drizabone matches one's RMWs.

15. boff

boff Well-Known Member

It's not going to happen. You might find some random thing, probably from the Japanese but I would be making friends at your local laundrette if I were you.
    Smallest I saw with 2 minutes on google - http://www.appliancesonline.com.au/22kg-top-load-lemair-washing-machine-xqb22/

16. Foxhound

Foxhound Well-Known Member

Pink Socks, didn't you say you were moving in with your wife?

1 person likes this.
  17. lukejackson

lukejackson Well-Known Member

Anyone know where to get a decent seersucker (in light blue) suit, or at least jacket? I'm 40R. The only place I have seen them is online. Most likely will not be wearing it a hell of a lot so looking for some thing relatively inexpensive.

Have not seen any at all except online (I'm in Brisbane). If anyone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Cheers!

18. tobiasj

tobiasj Well-Known Member

I did the same thing, the one tiny difference was that I was 34

19. Pink Socks

Dear, oh dear. Actually I do most of the housework (and complain loudly about it). Did you say you were single Foxhound...?

Thanks Boff. I saw that too (trust me I have done plenty of internet search and spoke to a few of the major retailers). From memory I think that is about 43cm wide (ie a couple cm too big, if my initial quick measurement was right).

Worse comes to worse you can get tiny ones for caravans etc and we need to us the Laundrette.

Just putting it out there to see if the collective wisdom of this thread had a solution.

Edit - This is looking close - http://caravansplus.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=12091

20. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Seersucker is really a US thing, so it would be very, very unusual to see it in Australia. I remember seeing a pair of seersucker trousers at a local menswear store when I was in high school, but I can't think of any that I've seen since then and that was a quite a while back!

Places that would sell seersucker in the US would be the usual suspects like Brooks Brothers, J.Crew, J.Press (which generally has blockier, less slim-fitting suits) and probably Ralph Lauren.

I don't know if they ship to Australia, but I suppose that US stores that might sell seersucker suits at lower prices than the above places are Jos A Banks and Men's Wearhouse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.