1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

I know that you can only get them in Oz via a proxy or friend overseas, but Uniqlo's shorts are great. I picked up a few pairs in Japan recently and they're the best-fitting chino shorts I've ever had (bearing in mind that fit is different for each person, of course). Slim without being too tight, quite a bit slimmer than the LE chino shorts, nicely made and they look good, too.

Uniqlo also has a dressier line of shorts that is slimmer than their chino shorts. I tried them on and couldn't do them up, which is a pity as they had a really nice pair of shorts in a navy-and-white, mini-houndstooth check that came with a ribbon belt, too.

Speaking of LE, I think that the shorts from the LE "Canvas" line might be slimmer than the regular LE Tailored line in terms of chinos, so you could always look at them, too.

2. Foxhound

Foxhound Well-Known Member

I'll never wear shorts in public.

Worlds girliest legs.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  3. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

Me too, surprisingly hard to find. I might order one through luxire, got a bunch of linen/cotton swatches coming for shirts at the moment including the pique. My Kamakura oxfords won't be much chop come summer.

4. lachyzee

lachyzee Well-Known Member

I have 3 J crew pairs - thought you had some too?

5. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

Depends are we talking long, short grain? fragrant? aromatic? aborio? brown? glutinious? wild black rice?

personally i only eat basmati and Italian arborio for risotto

No sign of spring in Canberra today,speaking of shorts i wonder does anyone still make 'Bombay Bloomers' Gowings did for a while, just curious?

6. Foxhound

Foxhound Well-Known Member

Who here has used a forwarder from the UK? I'm quite keen to pick this shirt up from Hackett, but they won't ship to Australia :(

7. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Well-Known Member

It might be a little sacrilege, but I found that last years the Industrie chino shorts fit the bill perfectly. From memory there were three or four different cuts (ranging from skinny, to slim, to loose) in a shit tonn of colours. The lengths were on the shorter side, and I found it to be the perfect length with the cuff rolled once. You could get them on sale for $40 or $50 on a regular basis.

8. tobiasj

tobiasj Well-Known Member

That seems a bit OTT to me--you could get a functionally identical shirt without having to use a forwarder, or pay that much, for what is essentially a pretty generic blue/white gingham shirt.

Luxire, for example, have more or less the same fabric for $60: http://luxire.com/collections/dress-shirts/products/blue-white-gingham.

9. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Well-Known Member

I have added you to the wiki http://styleforumau.wikidot.com/wiki:suits-in-australia

As a bribe I will be expecting a complimentary commission of a full length coat in 100% vicuna. Cheers.

10. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Well-Known Member

Even when spring does arrive, its Canberra man youll still have that icy wind from the mountains rolling in keeping you guys rugged up. oh how many times that wind got me particularly living in Bruce...'oh sunny outside today, I won't need a jacket/jumper....'

11. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Well-Known Member

PS, good write up in the Fin Review Romp, but I will admit I found this a little humorous:
    [​IMG]

12. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

Ha, I used to live in Bruce, bought my first apartment their. Great place to live, with my favourite rest. around the corner (Ellacure)

13. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Well-Known Member

14. coxaca

coxaca Well-Known Member

Photo don't take itself, bro.

15. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

If you're not dedicated to getting a shirt from Hackett, in particular, have you had a look at other shirt places like TM Lewin or Charles Tyrwhitt?

I don't know if these will be available in your size, but here are a few similar shirts:

- Charles Tyrwhitt sky gingham check casual slim-fit shirt

- Charles Tyrwhitt non-iron extra slim-fit shirt

- TM Lewin slim-fit lilac blue check shirt

- TM Lewin sky jumbo check button-down collar casual shirt (don't know whether the fit on this is slim or not).

Most of the UK shirt places will have similar shirts every northern summer and places like Charles Tyrwhitt and TM Lewin are usually much, much cheaper than Hackett and Thomas Pink.

16. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

This post reminds me. I'm reading this book right now. An account of the genesis of a $50,000 vicuna coat from raw materials around the world through mills and manufacturers to the JH Cutler rooms in Sydney. Bits of history re Savile Row etc thrown in. Really interesting. Somewhat surprisingly, the author is American, and she just happened upon the Cutler website and got intrigued. http://www.amazon.com/The-Coat-Rout...TF8&qid=1375685625&sr=8-1&keywords=coat+route

1 person likes this.
  17. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

thanks - world's worst photographer... he is use to doing portraits of business men in meeting rooms and couldnt decide what to shoot.. I was holding the tie tying pose for about 20 minutes

1 person likes this.
  18. streetminimal

streetminimal Well-Known Member

MJ Bale are missing the trick with the usage of the same block and lack of pocket styles on their jackets. I reckon if they got their shit a bit more together then we'd have a good Australian version of SuitSupply over here. They just need to steer away from the poor design of the shirts and do some simple colours and patterns - that way you'd have some competition with PJohnson.

19. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

Their suits don't bother me (I like flap pockets FWIW), their shirts and ties are the definition of fail though.

20. tobiasj

tobiasj Well-Known Member

A photographer who can't come up with ideas of what to shoot quickly, even in a new situation, ain't worth sheeeet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.