1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Well-Known Member

Gerry, I think the camo could work for a certain look....I am neither young or thin enough to pull it off, but I think if you had the right occasion and carried it with confidence* it could look good.

Oli - would these not work for khakis - Acne Roc Chinos (http://www.mrporter.com/product/335...der&siteID=je6NUbpObpQ-UAMYuT1Nh73WR_pJ9A83JQ)

*Watching Q&A (on which thebrownman is famous for tweeting on) last night my wife comment that stand-in host Virginia Trioli looked good (in a white jacket), which lead to a discussion where we concluded that though she is no classic beauty, VT always has a good appearance because, among other things, she carries herself with confidence.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

3. thebrownman

thebrownman Well-Known Member

Methinks Oli is moonlighting as Sid Mashburn. Sounds a lot like Mr. Mashburn had to say about the essentials.

Yes, VT looked nice on Q&A last night.

4. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

For you I'd say white jeans blue shirt or dark blue denim, khaki chinos

I'm trying to remember the colour - it was a bright light blue?

Cream linen,

edit :: just had a look - careful or people here will have you dressing like an old man - do a search on foo - on looking a the jacket I'd say - get a big check gingham navy or blue and white shirt, or a pink and white or red and white, white jeans, mustard jeans or chinos, brown trousers, dark blue denim jeans, I've always found grey chinos to be a disappointment - they end up looking just muddy nothing like you see everywhere with that scruffy non colour look in faded washed out autumn colours what everyone wears, dirty nothing grey cotton pants, dirty grey green t shirt and nothing grey green dark jacket.

5. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Extraordinary claims need extraordinary evidence . Please supply references.

6. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

Nine fittings? Are you sure his name isn't Cutwrong?

7. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

Some new Meermins today, snuff suede Austerity brogue. Happy bar an issue on the front left toe with the suede, which I am emailing them about now. Won't get a wear until next week when I'm back from the snowies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

Nice Jase. I must say that this year I have become a convert to wearing suede in winter, which always worried me. More and more I'm reaching for my chocolate Santoni suede brogues. They have a dainite sole, which helps, and they even survived the massive downpour we had about a week ago, quite unscathed.

9. Simon at Elite

Simon at Elite Well-Known Member

I would have grave doubts that they were the genuine article. I find it difficult to believe that brands would outsource their manufacturing to some guy with a factory in Northern China. I was in discussions with a guy who owns 5 high end tailoring shops in Shanghai and a couple in Beijing but decided against working with him after a few warnings from people I trust. Not saying that this is him of course.

When I'm in Asia I see fake stuff everywhere but I don't dash of emails to the manufacturer. I was recently offered some Holland & Sherry fabric. Any colour and pattern I wanted complete with selvedge. I know what genuine H&S wool costs and I also know what I would have to pay for some clearance stock at auction and this guy was offering less than a third of that price. There was no way it was real so I told him to take a hike.

A lot of people are often surprised just how expensive Asian tailoring can be. They get the impression they can pick up high quality suits for a couple of hundred bucks and are shocked when the price can rise to the thousands. Sure, labour is inexpensive but high quality fabrics can actually be even more expensive and harder to obtain than they are in western countries. One of my tailors supplies a store in the Pudong financial district and the suits start at US$1,500 for what I consider some fairly average fabric

Yes you can go to the markets are pick up a cheap suit but that's exactly what you get. A cheap suit. Quality fabrics and tailoring aren't cheap anywhere. There are great suits available in Asia for prices that are excellent when you compare them to similar suits in western countries but a $200 suit is a $200 no matter where you buy it

10. Foxhound

Foxhound Well-Known Member

Perfect, thanks Gerry.
    I do need a pair of Khaki's. I have a pair of Indigo 3sixteens. I really don't like jeans and blazers. Also have a pair of Acne New Cash Max in black.
    Hmm okay, thankyou, and no, the colour isn't too bright. I don't mind dressing like an old man, I make up for it with my crazy shirts.
    You asked for it.
    [​IMG]

Thanks PS, btw you have an ace 'gram. I try and learn but I need to look super good tonight. Chasing a girl.

11. Pink Socks

OK, bearing in mind that this is not a look I myself could pull off - I think that for at university or at a casual dinner with friends (for example), if you had the confidence (and possibly age and figure) to pull it off, camo trousers and a blue/navy blazer could work.

It depends on the cut and formality of the trousers. Foxhoun's seem appropriate.

http://epauletnewyork.com/products/rivet-chino-woodland-digital-camo
    [​IMG]

Here are a few (very rough) examples (based on a two minute Google search), some executed better than others (spoilered for those who will really hate this look).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. thebrownman

Who wants an MJ Bale suit: 40R, 50% wool and 50% linen, 34 trousers unaltered (hemmed with 5cm cuffs, but this can be let out to the full length as required). $199 - PM me for more info. Worn 4 times.

Also, flannel suit I'm selling reduced to $299.

13. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

I rest my case

14. coxaca

coxaca Well-Known Member

Yes, that was pretty much the way I felt about it. I'm no industry insider, but there was something about these clothes that said "very high-end attempt, but still fake". I'm reassured by your comment. I would hate to think that these brands were pimping themselves. I can get Canali MTM in Sydney but it's only via the Canali boutique AFAIK. Harrolds offer bespoke Tom Ford but it's a Tom Ford booth within the store. Which is how it should be.

PM'ed you the shop details FYI.

15. Pink Socks

That is the kind of outfit and place I was thinking about. My Instagram (http://instagram.com/pinksocks), like my Tumblr (http://linenforsummertweedforwinter.tumblr.com/), is just a place where I add random images which inspire me or I want to reference later. Thank you for the compliment In terms on getting the girl, my advice (and who the hell am I to give advice on this) is keep your outfit simple and sharp and pay far more attention to her than your outfit. Though there was a funny quote on The Trad website a couple of days ago. "Someone asked, "Why the life long obsession with clothes?" I really have no recollection of what I wore until I was 12 or 13...
    [​IMG]
    and that quickly evolved into getting dressed so that she'd get undressed." (Speaking of The Trad, for thebrownman, Journeyman and any other man who is a Michael Bastian fan - http://thetrad.blogspot.com.au/search/label/Michael Bastian) Oh, and a timely post from VoxSart - http://www.voxsartoria.com/post/56842052951/confidence-essential-to-menswear

16. Pink Socks

Well you could add socks when you wear it...

17. thebrownman

18. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

She's not known as 'I Trioli' for no reason.

Danite or topy. You don't want to slip.

19. Foxhound

Foxhound Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can pull off that stuff, because hey, I'm 19. And I look like I'm 12.

I won't get the girl, just get friendzoned :)

20. BaldwinP

BaldwinP Well-Known Member

After wearing through "brand" socks in stupidly short periods of time, I gave up and bought a bunch of generic wool and generic cotton socks this summer at Queen Vic Market for like $4 a pair . They are comfortable and have shown no signs of wearing out yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.