1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Some people have had good things to say about Viccel socks, which are (from memory) made in Turkey. They come in plain colours and some herringbone-weave patterns and are very affordable. Their website is here and there's a thread about them here.

Howard Yount, in the US, is another good place to get socks. They sell Marcoliani socks, as well as their own brands of socks, which I believe are actually made from them by Marcoliani. Usual prices are just a bit over $20 but HY has various socks on sale for $10, $15 and $20 at the moment.

1 person likes this.
  2. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. El QUaG

El QUaG Well-Known Member

I have the same sized Billy Kirk bag in black/black.

[​IMG]

I carry this bag to work at least 4 days a week for around 3 years, and do not find it heavy when empty or mildly full. It is a comfortable weight which will not strain your arms/wrist/hands.

The leather handle straps and base have not shown any major signs of wear. The canvas has faded only a bit around the opening, and as stated on the website, is somewhat water resistant. I don't use the shoulder strap which is detachable. The handles have held up without any cracking or signs of wear really, despite zero maintenance applied (I have not ever clean or applied any leather conditioner). Handles are very comfortable to hold. Bag has held up unbelievably well despite how much use and abuse. I carry it around in all weather conditions without any detriment.

Be prepared to be annoyed by the leather buckle closure system at first, but you will eventually get used to it. If you're the fiddly type who always finds yourself checking for things in your bag, it may annoy the hell out of you. The internal pockets are quite small but I do use to hold pens, small paper notepads, small bits and pieces.

Bag itself is large enough to fit a massive lunch box, plus laptop and a light sweater/jacket (with a bit of space to spare). It is deceptively large and can hold a lot of stuff.

Hope the info helps with your decision!

1 person likes this.
  4. lachyzee

lachyzee Well-Known Member

I love my smartwool socks... in fact all their products have been great (snowboarding socks & base layers).

They have various thick and thin models. I prefer the thickest.

One amazing thing about pure wool is that it doesn't smell at all.

5. tobiasj

tobiasj Well-Known Member

Gold Toe, ebay or beltoutlet.com.

6. Cubits

Cubits Well-Known Member

Huge fan of wool socks! They don't smell, they feel great (floats your shoe, feels completely separate), and they last forever.

7. boff

boff Well-Known Member

In that case, this may amuse (one my favourite geeky guilty pleasures) -> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/07/26/bofh_2013_episode_5/

8. boff

boff Well-Known Member

9. Cubits

Cubits Well-Known Member

Computer socks; further proof that engineers make the world a magical place.

I should take some for a test run. Not sure about the low wool blend, but if they fall up i don't care what they're made of!

SCIENCE!

10. Foxhound

Foxhound Well-Known Member

Hey guys, what colour pants would go with my MJ Bale Xaviar Blue jacket, and white shirt?

11. lachyzee

lachyzee Well-Known Member

Lightish tan or dark navy. Frankly, I can't really see any other colour working, unless you want to go full peacock in a red, or green, etc.

12. Pink Socks

13. coxaca

coxaca Well-Known Member

The article about Suit Shop, and its allusion to the gradual loss of local tailoring/cutting/stitching skills requiring outsourcing of those processes to China, is interesting.

Last night I walked into a bespoke tailoring shopfront here in Shanghai. There were clothes on the racks but they were demonstrators, not for sale. Everything was MTM. The guy I spoke to seemed to be the owner of the business (I qualify that by observing that you can never really know in China - everyone wants you to think they are the boss). He showed me jackets and suits with labels such as Corneliani and Canali, designs which apparently he is licensed to make to measure for his clients. His factory is in Dalian, in north-eastern China. The jackets were largely machine-stitched and quality of the workmanship was mid-level. Designs were reasonably up-to-date, with many unstructured linen jackets, double-breasted seersuckers and so on. The actual boutique was located in a hotel foyer, opposite one of Shanghai's best Italian restaurants. Italian expats are always coming and going, so if this place is a fake, surely someone would have dobbed this guy in by now.

So I'm wondering. Is it really the case that high-end Italian brands like Canali and Corneliani are licensing their brand to guys like this? Isn't that a massive risk to their reputation? There's no way a bunch of ex-potato farmers in a sweatshop in a second-tier Chinese city are going to replicate the quality of Neapolitan tailoring. Or is there?

I should add: the prices this guy was quoting seemed no cheaper than for similar MTM garments at say, Harrolds or American Tailors. Maybe pricier.

14. tobiasj

15. tobiasj

Hey has anyone heard of this Sydney tailor?:

Joe Cutrone
    Shop 5a, Edgecliff Center
    203 - 233 New South Head Road
    Edgecliff, NSW 2027
    (02) 9328 6017

Someone I know got a wedding suit made by him. $3k. Nine fittings apparently!

16. Nolvadex

Nolvadex Well-Known Member

Xavier light blue chinos

17. Foxhound

Foxhound Well-Known Member

18. Pink Socks

Most of those should work quite well. Try them out, learn from your mistakes and find what works for you.

1 person likes this.
  19. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

I'd say everything but the camo and french blue chinos would work quite well.

1 person likes this.
  20. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

You have literally everything bar what you need, which is a plain pair of khakis.

If you had:
    - A pair of khakis
    - A pair of indigo jeans
    - A pair of mid grey worsteds (maybe)

You could go anywhere/combine it with anything.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.