• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lolwut?

I do 60 minute cardio (walking, not running, I'm a man, not a machine). Most days (some more some less).

Avoid refined carbs (since carbs can't be withheld completely) - such as flours, rice, pasta, risotto, etc. Once a week go mental, the rest of the time stop it.

I find even with some refined sugar each day I can consistently lose weight by avoiding the carbs.

Don't skimp on the animal fats (but avoid processed plant fats such as canola and peanut oil). Cheese is great!

Just some advice I've received that works well for me.

Currently eating Oreos and drinking full cream milk. Will probably lose weight this week.

Oreos?

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
right.

what is the sizing of meermin like e.g narrow, small? or is it pretty much TTS?
Depends on the last that you get - take a look at the pictures of the meermin lasts

Rob sorry mate, it could just be my old school training but I have to disagree on this. Side bulge is better managed by a) less length, I.e the trousers falling in a straight line not bunching and b) having the right width at the ankle. Wider ankles and especially lighter drapier fabrics like some high super counts are a pain ********** for this. On the other hand smaller widths can have the same affect, because again they can't fall over the shoe properly.

thats ok- I have no training here, although i dont disagree with you - i just cbf writing as much as you did
fing02[1].gif

my original point was length and width in the hem to get the right break/no break/length.

my second point was the hem line slope may be used to manage side bulge .. after of course reaching the correct length because you want to maintain a certain break/no break (i wouldnt assume you can achieve this at any length!!) i.e. a guy in the army may want the pants to just break the crease at the front but cover the leather of his boot at the back without a massive break causing the side to flare (especially on narrower pants) or equally have pants that look too short (especially on a wide opening)

Either way if we are being technical arent these pants cuffed in which case I had always assumed these were to be cut straight (not to mention just being a botch job in the first place lol)

Last edited:

Manuhiri

Reaction score
Do you guys have any reccs for a shoe cleaning kit?
Or do you buy items individually?

In any case suggestions of what and wear to buy are greatly appreciated! For black and brown leather.
Here's everything I reckon you need:

Saphir gold medal line products:
1 Renovator
1 black wax polish
1 black cream polish
1 appropriate brown wax polish
1 appropriate brown cream polish

2 cloths or chamois. One to apply the renovator/polish with, One to buff the toe cap. (You can use a brush to apply the polish but I prefer using a cloth and working it into the leather in small circles.
2 horsehair brushes to brush the polish off once it is dry. Use one for black and one for brown.

1 wooden box to keep it all in.

Very simple method that I use is:

• brush dust and dirt off shoe
  • apply Renovator over the complete shoe. Wait five or ten minutes. Brush it off.
  • apply cream polish all over the shoe including toe cap. Wait five or ten minutes. Brush it off.
  • apply wax polish to the toe cap. Wait five or ten minutes. Brush it off. (Repeat this step as many times as you like depending on how deep a shine you are after).
  • buff toe cap with fresh cloth.

If you want a mirror shine you can then wet a cloth and work it in small circles on the toe cap then finish it off with a buffing from a pair of nylon stockings.

nabilmust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eh, that is a bit doctrinaire for mine. I think a higher button stance would look more balanced in your case.

And when you do that, remember that your trousers need to sit higher too, to preserve the line / flow from the jacket to the trousers.

Also, Prof - (and these are very rough observations, so I will stand corrected) you sure your button stance is on your natural waistline? That might make your trousers sit halfway down your rear rather low.

The waist suppression looks like the jacket is at the natural waist - which might mean that you can afford to wear your trousers almost 2 inches higher. Might add to the balance.

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He works in 'Management Consulting': he is use to the idea of people coming along, drawing nice diagrams, and telling everyone how the business should be run :). Salt in the wounds.

boff

Reaction score

Here's everything I reckon you need:

Saphir gold medal line products:
1 Renovator
1 black wax polish
1 black cream polish
1 appropriate brown wax polish
1 appropriate brown cream polish

2 cloths or chamois. One to apply the renovator/polish with, One to buff the toe cap. (You can use a brush to apply the polish but I prefer using a cloth and working it into the leather in small circles.
2 horsehair brushes to brush the polish off once it is dry. Use one for black and one for brown.

1 wooden box to keep it all in.

Very simple method that I use is:

• brush dust and dirt off shoe
  • apply Renovator over the complete shoe. Wait five or ten minutes. Brush it off.
  • apply cream polish all over the shoe including toe cap. Wait five or ten minutes. Brush it off.
  • apply wax polish to the toe cap. Wait five or ten minutes. Brush it off. (Repeat this step as many times as you like depending on how deep a shine you are after).
  • buff toe cap with fresh cloth.

If you want a mirror shine you can then wet a cloth and work it in small circles on the toe cap then finish it off with a buffing from a pair of nylon stockings.

Excellent advice. If I may be so bold, I would recommend a one time only going over with a bottle of Saphir Reno'Mat Leather Cleaner before you start. This will clean off any gunk (e.g. silicon) before you start your Saphir regime. Use a separate clean cotton cloth for the job.

Prof. B. Bear

Reaction score

And when you do that, remember that your trousers need to sit higher too, to preserve the line / flow from the jacket to the trousers.

Also, Prof - (and these are very rough observations, so I will stand corrected) you sure your button stance is on your natural waistline? That might make your trousers sit halfway down your rear rather low.

The waist suppression looks like the jacket is at the natural waist - which might mean that you can afford to wear your trousers almost 2 inches higher. Might add to the balance.

Button stance is about 1.5-2" above my real natural waistline (aka belly button). Pants are sitting .5cm below belly button. However they were made too short and the hems have been let down as much as possible, so I have to wear them a little lower than usual. Not a big fan of the flood pant look. Still, not bad for a $279 suit.

Has anyone been watching House of Lies? I hear Don Cheadle is killing it in the show... about management consultants lol

HoL is more truth than I care to admit lol.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Excellent advice. If I may be so bold, I would recommend a one time only going over with a bottle of Saphir Reno'Mat Leather Cleaner before you start. This will clean off any gunk (e.g. silicon) before you start your Saphir regime. Use a separate clean cotton cloth for the job.

Not always. Reno'Mat is fine for some shoes, not good for others - it depends on the method used to dye the leather.

As an example, I believe that C&J does not recommend the use of Reno'Mat for its shoes, as it could strip off the finish and change the colour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads