1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

Yes, in the Batman incident, it's clear that Mark Harris was Robbin' ...

2. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Well-Known Member

Observations on Melbourne:

1. The Lindrum Hotel is superb.
    2. Henry Buck's were putting sale stickers on everything this arvo, so guessing starts tomorrow or Monday?
    3. Nothing I want at Buck's actually fits me.
    4. Azzaro are friendly but will sell you something that is obviously not your size if not watched closely.
    5. It is disturbingly easy to rationalise the price of John Lobbs once you try them on.
    6. Otherwise there's not much...

1 person likes this.
  3. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Obviously you are a visitor

Melbourne is for those who live here. Lots of secrets and delights. I'm still discovering stuff.

4. Yowzer

Yowzer Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any local recommendations in Brisbane or online for multi-tier shoe racks (say 12 shoes)? Looked at Howard's storage world and the prices I feel don't justify the built quality. Bought one from Ikea some years ago but they kept changing their dimensions on the new models so couldn't get another one to stack on top... Thanks fellas.

5. The False Prophet

Sorry, to clarify I meant "otherwise there's not much by way of high end menswear that is to my taste and will separate me from my hard-earned dollars".

Of course there's heaps of stuff. Actually, what amazed me last night is that there are so damn many venues and they were all totally packed. Great town...

6. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

RE fxh & Soft and Hard

Was in Sydney Friday/ Saturday, Friday casual sky blue OCBD navy cashmere jumper Bill's British Khaki trousers Clarks Brown DB casual and relaxed definitely soft. Was in Surry Hills most of the day then went into DJ's in the city. Went looking for Argyle socks, floor staff basic DJ's black, sophisticated hard edge or it is the Greek Grandmother look? Black for is all about attitude, cultural creatives.

Anyway floor man definitely looked like he uses Grecian 2000. "Do you have any Argyle socks" 'Argyles? Argyles!' No Sir that is an OLD (stress on old) patten we don't stock that anymore. Younger offsider chuckles. Merde! Tasteless fool but kept my tongue in check. Any what was boring was that most of the loud coloured socks were all cotton, useless for a Canberra Winter and none were on sale bugger paying $30 for a pair of paul smith cotton I am so loud I make a statement with my socks thank you.

Saturday formal workshop want the appearance of authority but keep it casual Navy OCBD white tshirt underneath black twill trousers and and RM's Simpson Chuka's, thought about black and grey but negative aggressive, too hard edged for the situation. It provided the 'look' for me to speak confidently eg he knows what he is saying but is open to other peoples ideas and views without alienating other participants or conveyors.

The other thing I noticed in Surry Hills/Darlo/Potts Point was the amount of Camouflage, jackets jeans on varying age groups both straight and gay found that surprising. I discussed with a mate how Camo has changed its social over the past thirty years. In the early 80's it was urbane arty, post punk anti nuclear anti authoritarian fuck you. You could buy ex Nato, English, US Russian and East German Camouflage, mainly jackets and the standard US M65 from a number of disposal shops in the Sydney CBD.

Wind the clock forward I thought post 9/11 he was more inclined to think post Balkans war in the 90's. Post 2000's that parra-military inspired fashion was both aiming to be cutting edge with specific social tribes and wannabe markets see William Gibson Spook Country , Zero History. Mind you I have noticed that a few pairs of the skinny casual pants my son wears are definitely military inspired.

We both concluded that Camo has gone decisively main stream and lost any any particular political meaning. get the impression that its a mainstream fashion statement. I wonder if those who design/wear it even think about the political connotations or has Camo simply been reduced to something that is fashionable, cool and groovy. You may wonder why we were discussing this well partly due to my social observations amongst others on clothing in Sydney and this book Power and Style: A World History of Politics and Dress (Hardback). James Sherwood covers some of the material and connections between military and civilian dress but this book is worth a look.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
    2 people like this.
  7. The False Prophet

Quick question: any Alfred Sargent stockists in Melbourne?

8. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

Black pants? Are you okay GF? :(

9. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Well-Known Member

+1

Spent my formative days there, never forget little deli at Elwood called Jerrys, having a cold one at the espy, stocking up at goods at the mediterranean foodstore northside, countless record stores, hidden bars, dives, and the food.....

Melbourne- respect

10. Geoffrey Firmin

Thank you for your concern.

Yes I wear black twill cotton pants in a casual manner. Why not?

11. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

I did see a pair in McClouds once about a year ago but nothing since then.

12. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

I always find black really stark and that it doesn't mesh well with other colours. Happy to be proven wrong though.

13. TehBunny

TehBunny Well-Known Member

I remember from an old ad I found somewhere on the interwebz about Khakis; the Colours which where sold widely where the classic khaki colour, stone and......black. This was at a time when they costed 4-10USD.

14. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

15. Cubits

Cubits Well-Known Member

The clerk must walk into work with blinkers on. The men's and women's clothing sections are currently bristling with argyle.

16. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

The Melbourne store has Burlington socks up the wazoo. They are a recent arrival so obviously some big wig at DJs has decided to start stocking 'old' styles.

17. Geoffrey Firmin

Not to be seen in Sydney DJ CBD the fuckers Canberra is even worse. Its a total waste land for socks.

Spent the afternoon watching Cloud Atlas with the wife, what a wank. Worse what am I going to do now that the Super Rugby season is nearly over?

18. coxaca

coxaca Well-Known Member

Agree. Cloud Atlas was just way too try-hard. In ten years it will already look badly dated.

19. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Sorry tfp I didn't mean it to sound snarky. I'm always amazed at the new coffee shops cropping up. You really need a guide around me lb if you bare visiting. In order to find the lanes etc, and also know what areas are best for what, like smith St, Brunswick St etc, thornbury, yarraville, St kilda, prahran, and even bits in outer suburbs. Even azzarro is a very Melbourne place, nice clothes, cheap, run by Italians, hard to find , most people cant find it first time, you can't peek in, it doesn't look like a clothes store, looks like and illegal gambling den you have to know password for.

Also pubs full of live music depending where you are on each corner.

20. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Last time I was in DJs only about an week ago there were no argyles, certainly no otc ones, cos that's what I was looking for. I didn't ask as I didnt expect the dudes would haven known what an argyle was.

I'm looking for some wool OTC arygyles that aren't took expensive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.