1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Well-Known Member

Congratulations iSurg. I, too, celebrated my first wedding anniversary this weekend with a great wee trip away to Daylesford. We are thinking of getting a piece of art for our anniversary present to ourselves (in keeping with paper for first wedding anniversary).

Not sure I will take suggestions on specific artworks here, though maybe if anyone has any galleries in Melbourne they might recommend...there seems to be some nice stuff at that big place on St Kilda Road at the moment...wonder how much one of those lily paintings would set me back...

PS Oli, if you really want to change your name, I am happy to support, though other members do make good points, so consider them first.

PPS I never got around to doing a full post but, in summary, I was extremely impressed with the packaging and presentation of my Mr Porter goods.

2. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

Excuse me this is the Australian Members thread not the don the hair shirt and rub salt in wounds thread.

1 person likes this.
  3. Geoffrey Firmin

The one at Potts Point is the original store been there over thirty years, they do a variety of blends and roast daily on the premises.

4. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Of course, of course.

5. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

Right, right. I'd heard the gup sup about Hernandez and thought the Darlo shop was the only one; like I said it was ok but now I will have to give the original a try.

6. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

Well no real Australians care about the Lions win; we care about the Australian game, not an inferior import. Murray is a Scot, so I can identify with him through my Celtic background. And their African rider only leads the TdF because of the help given by an Australian, so we can take credit for that.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  7. Geoffrey Firmin

Infidel! Blasphemer. For my part I don't even consider cross country basketball to be football.

8. neyus

neyus Well-Known Member

Attention Brisbane Members

Tie Rack, Myer Centre is having a closing down sale.

50-80% everything in the store.

I went there today and saw $2.00 pocket squares. $8.00 ties.

Some pretty decent silk print and knit ties. Most are fairly narrow. Theres a mix of Chinese and Italian made items.

9. Nolvadex

Nolvadex Well-Known Member

Didnt see any knit ties. Most of the ties were crap so I didnt really pay attention to them. The pocket squares were pretty average but at $2 I grabbed the last decent looking one. Also picked up a couple of socks. The sock monster ate a couple of my socks so I needed and extra pair. At $6 I cant complain

10. neyus

neyus Well-Known Member

The knit ties were hidden behind all the silk ties. They did have some fairly decent regimental ties there as well. Yes the pocket squares were done to dull plain colors. The decent ones all gone. When I when their last week, things were looking alot better.

11. Pink Socks

12. California Dreamer

Guilty as charged - according to the dictionary definition.

13. Marbles

Marbles Well-Known Member

As much as I'm sure Richie Porte is a fantastic bloke just for being born in Australia, I'd be willing to put a significant chunk of cash down while saying that Team Sky are doped to the gills. Not that the rest aren't, but I think a few could be once bitten, twice shy (Contador for one).

1 person likes this.
  14. California Dreamer

A very subjective area, but I have done OK with Manyung Gallery for contemporary Australian stuff. Their Glenferrie Rd gallery would be fairly close to you. There's quite a few spots along High St Armadale near there where you may find something. Hit the antiques barns as well - I've seen some nice stuff at some of those, including Jean Miro.

15. California Dreamer

That rumour was doing the rounds, but I'd suggest their sub-par perfomance last night scotched that. If they'd rocked up and repeated the dose with no ill effects after Saturday, that might have raised more eyebrows.

16. Geoffrey Firmin

Think you need to approach it from the perspective of how much you want to spend first up. Then look online at a site which would list independent galleries. Also are you after a print, lithograph, drawing photograph? Do you want something by a name or an up and coming artist?

I have a variety of works, prints, paintings lithographs photographs which I have picked up over the years, a few by names, but don't know any up and coming visual artists I would love more wall space to be honest.

17. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

In my holiday boredom I've just watched all of ABC's 'The Liberals' series.

Some sartorial observations:
    - Extremely traditional - Chelsea and bal' boots galore. The 3 piece is standard until the 80s.
    - The sartorial decline starts in the 80s where you notice Howard wearing Anthony Squires. By the 90s Hewson's collar gap becomes a chasm, and multi coloured ties become mainstay.
    - If you want an image of a well dressed Australian, its Malcolm Fraser. His sense of style was impeccable - even in the commentary he sported tweed.

18. Pink Socks

Thanks for the feedback chaps. To be honest, this is much more my wife's area of expertise. This will be our first major purchase so think it would be good to look around a few galleries to get a feel for what we are specifically after. Which should be fun in itself.

Not too hung up about getting a name or "making an investment", just looking for something that speaks to us both, budget still to be determined.

19. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

20. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

The best approach.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.