1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coxaca

coxaca Well-Known Member

Dammit, I'm sold. Where do I sign up?

2. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

If you're going to pay someone to use their US mailbox, would you really be saving much money, compared to having BB deliver straight to Australia? You'd still presumably need to pay for domestic US shipping, then shipping from the US to Australia via US Postal Service, as well as paying someone for the use of their US postal address.

I haven't had any experience with CT's OCBDs, but I'm very happy with the Land's End OCBD shirts that I have, particularly now that they've reintroduced a pink-and-white university stripe version.

Anyway, on another topic:

Gerry - today's Tumblr photo was amazing, absolutely fantastic. A really great photo.

LonerMatt - I enjoyed your Tumblr photos, too, but am a bit surprised that there's no "bokeh" in the background of your floral close-up shots. Personally, a like a bit more of a blurred background with some bokeh when taking macro shots of things like flowers.

3. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

Woodlore wanted to charge me $110 for a shoe tree, Filson $170 for a bag.

I shudder to think what BB would be.

All of them have free shipping domestically.

4. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

Just receivd an email advising that Azzaro are starting a Su Misura operation. Introductory price of $690 for the next two weeks. Could be worth looking into.

5. Journeyman

BB usually uses FedEx for international deliveries and they charge a flat fee of $49.99 for all international deliveries, regardless of size, which is great if you want to order a suit or a couple of pairs of shoes, but very bad if you just want one tie!

Land's End is usually slightly cheaper than BB, as I've paid about $40 for shipping for most of my orders (which typically consist of something like a few shirts and a pair of cotton trousers or shorts). LE's shipping costs are actually based on the value of the order, rather than the number of items, and they offer a choice of US Postal Service Priority Air, or UPS Courier Service. I've always chosen the US Postal Service Priority Air and haven't had any problems.

6. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Well-Known Member

Love your enthusiasm.

And here's another offer you can't refuse:

Waterfront property in Lakemba.

Sweeping bay views; great investment potential.

Seriously.

7. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

Thanks, very much, JM! I'm really happy with the way it turned out.

It got picked up by the Tumblr radar soon after I posted it and within a few hours, it's got 1300 or so likes/reblogs and given me a few hundred new followers. I've been told that in the next 24 hours it should be one of the images used in rotation on the Tumblr login page - needles to say, I'm still a little stunned by it all.

Yay cactus!

8. TehBunny

TehBunny Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, will go with the LE as I expect chinos to be workhorses and don't expect to pay too much; just like some clarification that there is an LE return address in Australia? Even if there are returns do you reckon it's worth getting two fits or just grabbing the safer fit, talking shipping coastwise?

Sorry lots of questions :)
    CD- Cool article, leaving my love of Outkast out of it...

9. Petepan

Petepan Well-Known Member

Well done Gerry. Really nice photos, no kidding.

10. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

Is that all just off your Sony rx100 G?

Pretty impressive

11. coxaca

coxaca Well-Known Member

Waterfront property in Lakemba? Sounds compelling.

I might take a drive by.

12. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

They are always great - thought of them again today when the Flight 1067 To Africa program on PBS played some Sapeur musics.
    Spooky to see your post - were you listening too?

13. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

echo

LE is $29 for up to $100 then - it goes up per 50 (?? i think). Ms gets stuff - I had a spreadsheet somewhere and looked at the sweet/optimum point - I think I worked it out as less than $300 but more than $200. But it depends - they often have 25% off sales and often thats on top of a clearance price. So you can get stuff super cheap. You can return to Sydney or Melbourne for about $10 for most boxes. Pays to order a few sizes etc to be able to check stuff out at first.

I like one type of chino they have (I've got about 12 or more of them now) - but I got the last 6 pair they had - in my size not shown online - for $6 each a few months ago. They are tailored fit with a 11.5" + front rise and nice khaki (called beige) and thick material. Others can be a bit effected by the low rise trend - not all that bad but their CANVAS line will be v low rise. Other chinos are a bit thin - ish - but ok for summer. Not all their tailored cut are styled the same.

Their OCBDs Hyde Park MUST iron used to be next best - or even -preferred - to BBs. and much cheaper. But they shortened the collar tips by 1/2 inch, making them close to stingy, and I don't buy them (I don't really need to though - I still have one blue one in its plastic bag unopened) around 6 months ago and as far as I know haven't fixed that yet.

In short - in the last 12 months I don't see much of theirs I want. (excepting my secret informants heads up about my fav chinos) Maybe their cords on sale.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  14. Gerry Nelson

Thanks, guys! Yes, it's just off the RX100 - it's a hell of a camera!

15. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Well-Known Member

A Drive By in Lakemba...

16. Journeyman

Bunny - Yes, LE has a return address in NSW that you can use, which is very convenient.

17. Superfudge

Superfudge Well-Known Member

These collar stay windows are going to become the next loud cufflinks, something that 90% of people never even knew existed (or understod the function of) until it became an opportunity to "express one's individuality" in the loudest and most obnoxious way possible. Then there will be a small section of the population that decided they don't want to buy new shirts, but still want visible collar stays anyway so they'll be cutting holes in their Tarocash shirts, removing the sewn-in stays and putting in their own stays made from crocodile leather or dingo ballsack or somesuch other Strine affectation.

Coxaca, that sillhouette looks really nice; makes me quite excited to pick mine up on Wednesday! Really makes me wish I had decided to switch over to the natural shoulder on more formal suits a bit earlier though. I think Patrick's cut is more suited to the natural shoulder than the more structured rope shoulders, at least for someone of a smaller build.

18. Gerry Nelson

What a great name!!!

19. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

When Gerry turned up to the trunk show with his camera I was gobsmacked after seeing how many awesome photos he takes with it. I was expecting a full professional DSLR set up with macro lenses etc. Some people just have that eye for photography, like Gerry.

20. Journeyman

+1. Gerry takes some really interesting, well-composed photos. They put the photos in my Tumblr to shame!

It's possible to take great photos with an iPhone camera or even primitive pinhole cameras. Good photography is obviously helped by good equipment, but taking good photos is mostly about having a good eye for composition, a knack for spotting a good opportunity, knowing about how to use light, shadow and colour and so on. Get those things right and you'll generally take nice photos, regardless of whether you've got a bargain basement camera from K-Mart or a $7000 Leica.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.