1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nabilmust

nabilmust Well-Known Member

We just ordered a small batch of customised watches from Sea Gull.

Their workmanship is phenomenal.

More details here: http://maisonceladon.tumblr.com/

2. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

Two votes for seagull.

PoP, fxh?

3. Stebbin

Stebbin Well-Known Member

How do you find the seagulls in terms of the movement? I hear they also manufacture the movements for Parnis and Marina Militares which sell knockoff "homage" designs.

4. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

There was a time when JJJ seemed to be only a little behind the game and was a place where new and old music could be heard.

Now there is evidence that JJJ is the Gold FM for those who think they are too hip for Gold FM but still wear band T shirts and black jeans.

Almost 1 million people - well 1 million voters anyway - voting on the TOP/BEST 100 tunes of the last 20 Years have voted those quintessential (and perennial) surly 15 year olds, the Gallagher Bros,and their pop group Oasis as No.1 with Wonderwall.

Yes - you read it right - Wonderwall is the best song for JJJ listener of all the releases of the last 20 years.

I cant think of anytime I have deliberately listened to JJJ in years. Years.

I guess if you are isolated in rural Australia (or Sydney!) where there is no community radio it might be a useful station.

5. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Oli - you know what I'll say. I'm boring.

A simple white face chrome or brushed aluminium Timex.
    Get three.
    One with a black strap - one with a brown strap - and one with a set of 3 or 4 coloured NATO straps.

Edit:: I am a bit worried you haven't got any trousers.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  6. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

7. Plestor

Plestor Well-Known Member

+1.

4zzz friends.

Stebbin

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f72/how-do-seagull-hangzhou-compare-eta-depth-look-216945.html

8. Nolvadex

Nolvadex Well-Known Member

Seagull crew checking in. 1963 chinese airforce chrono with an olive nato strap.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Nolvadex - could you put those HUGE watch pics behind a spoiler tag?

10. Nolvadex

Nolvadex Well-Known Member

11. nabilmust

nabilmust Well-Known Member

That's what she said.

1 person likes this.
  12. Petepan

Petepan Well-Known Member

Vera naise, but I thought you mentioned some OH & S law against the glare....

13. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

Oli - while I dont have a sense of your style (besides mr RMW) or age but im worried that mid grey trousers may not be as versatile for dates and weekends as you may expect.

Ive heard that a pair of old jeans with speed-action button fly works best for dating [​IMG]

PS - re watches ive got my eyes on some fluoro plastic basic swatches :)

14. The Ernesto

I was in the TM Lewin store in Collins St at lunchtime. Was surprised at how much kit they have in there, including an area for the ladies gear. Place was reasonably busy as well, due to the sale they are having.

Didn't really check anything out, but one thing I did notice was one of their jackets deconstructed on a mannequin to show the construction of their jackets. Good move, I thought.

15. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

ernesto - its an interesting store - I popped in the other day and there was 6 sales/store people there and only 1 (non) customer. Very clear marketing through design and store placement etc to the "school uniform" crowd - male and female. No one else that big doing it - except perhaps Herringbone.

16. The Ernesto

That's a very good assessment, fxh.

For people looking for a half decent work wardrobe on a budget I reckon there hasn't been a better time in Melbourne for years. TM Lewin, MJ Bale, Herringbone, Rhodes and Beckett - at least people have options, even if it is all very samey and not all that inspiring.

17. TehBunny

TehBunny Well-Known Member

Romp- no hi viz for me....no fun colours on the website
    Also to those asking about stationery (?) I bought my Lamy from notemaker.com.au ; there are better sources outhere but them being in Australia cut the long wait out and so I went with them.
    Oli- I second the nailhead or any mid-light weight fabric, been down anywhere to try on? If a pair fits well and you like the fabric I would go and get them instead of order online as I've (personally) only had shit results buying pants online. Still waiting on that PM :p
    P.S.
    Thanks for obliging Jas and Gerry :)

EDIT:
    The PJ Napoli stuff looks cray cray; liking the safari very much though doubt it would be a sound investment for many of us.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  18. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

Age = 23
    Style = so conservative I make Cory Bernardi look like a Newtown hipster.

I think I'll put the grey pants on hold for a little while. Might talk to you about them when I see you in early August.

Bunny = I'm a 36 sorry bud. Maybe after a few more timtams?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  19. sliq

sliq Well-Known Member

only their shopfront is gone. you can still buy from them over the phone. bought a french fountain pen as a farewell gift for my old boss.

20. coxaca

coxaca Well-Known Member

Sea-Gull are still making these. That's the Venus movement inside. The fact that your watch has a transparent caseback indicates to me that this is a re-issue, not an original watch from the 60s. Certainly they are very nice.

Movement finishing is not all that great at Sea-Gull. For real artisanry, you still need to go to Switzerland (or Glashütte).

Here is a movement shot of my Sea-Gull moonphase date chrono:

[​IMG]

The "Geneva" stripes are actually stamped on to the bridges rather than being hand-turned. A close look at the "blued" screw next to the central chrono seconds camwheel reveals rust, with the "blue" colour flaking off. So the blue colour is an appliqué rather than a proper heat-treated blue.

Sure, it's a nice movement at the price, but it doesn't stand up to close scrutiny. Sea-Gull movements never do.

This is what a really beautifully-finished movement looks like:

[​IMG]

But it costs a whole lot more money to get this kind of finishing in a watch.

Personally, I am happy to wear either type of watch with pride.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.