1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Those look like lovely boots, PoP, and it will be interesting to see how the camel-hide wears and ages.

Camels are extremely hardy animals, so hopefully their hide will be, too!

2. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

PoP, those boots look great and hopefully will fit the intended purpose.

Jase, sharp as usual!

3. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

i think he looks good - especially in the Owen and James popovers :)

1 person likes this.
  4. Plestor

Plestor Well-Known Member

Thanks for the write up.

Being in academia I don't really have to worry about the overkill and I'll often tend towards more casual 'fits hence the Cheaneys. I'm not sure how much work based usage they'd get if I were in industry.

Similarly to JM I'm interested in how the texture holds to wear / polish. They look on they money tho and the stormwelt seems to balance the texture.

As for the effectiveness of stormwelts, it depends on how much water your getting on there. I can tell you if you get it immersed you'll notice the difference pretty quick smart. Lack of 360* welting shouldn't be an issue as the heel attachment (still nails iirc) is blind.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  5. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

Thanks JM/GN.

Yes, it is a very thick leather, and very tough on the outside. I think it will be very resistant to knicks and scuffs. This may have a lot to do with how the leather is tanned. As an aside I was interested to learn that camel leather was first tanned successfully in Australia! I too will be interested to see how it ages; time will tell I guess.

Yes, I've found if you're walking around the city on a really wet Sydney night, you will inevitably step into a puddle or water runoff that splashes up in between the welt and into your shoe... This was the main reason I wanted a storm welt on my next pair of boots, as well as to see if RM could do it. There was also the option to get these with the RM version of a commando sole, which might interest some (though not me for reasons previously stated), particularly if you live in / travel to a city where it snows regularly.

As for the style versus a brogue boot, I think there is still room in my collection (though perhaps not in my wardrobe) for a pair of English brogue boots as well. These ones were really an experiment as much as anything to see what RMW could do, and for something a bit different.

6. thebrownman

thebrownman Well-Known Member

I think he wears those well, too. Also, he's young, running a successful blog and enjoying dressing and developing his own sense of style. I think that's nice.

7. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

I agree - he has style, even though its #menswear he actually pulls it off well and confidently - the main thing is that it makes him happy and he doesnt have the same "rules" that someone in a standard 9-5 has to abide by

8. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

Nice PoP! How does that sole differ from their normal comfort rubber composite can I ask?

9. Prince of Paisley

Thanks Oli - they are the standard plain rubber comp soles you get on the comfort craftsman etc. only with the storm welt obviously.

10. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Well-Known Member

PoP - how did you go about organising the changes? Was the up-charge significant?

I'm planning a trip to the frozen North in January and was all "I'll grab a pair of Aldens when I'm in the US/Canada", but then I thought "I've wanted RMW for awhile, why not just get those".

11. Plestor

Plestor Well-Known Member

For general RMW MTOs you can either do it through a 3rd party dealer (PoP said he used http://www.bootsonline.com.au/) or RMW directly. I think its generally a touch cheaper to go through a 3rd party dealer.

As for the MTO itself I went into the store to check the fit on some stock shoes in my case they had to order one in so I could check the sizing. At this point I chose the kind of details I wanted sole and attachment type, leather, last and heel types. The RMW thread has documentation of exactly what you can do here.

Pricing was Base+~60 MTO + Veal up-charge (~85). I don't know if there is an up-charge on camel

12. Oli2012

Ah, thought the sole tread might be different as well.

13. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

Today's (fuzzy) shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Suit: Benjamin
    Shirt: Borrelli
    Tie: Henry Carter
    PS: Unknown English silk
    Shoes: C&J x RL Marlow

1 person likes this.
  14. Prince of Paisley

Hi Matt, as Plestor said. Upcharge on my pair not significant, the usual $50 or so for a MTO, no extra for camel.

15. thebrownman

Jase and Gerry, both of you looking good as always :)

16. thebrownman

Jase and Gerry, both of you looking good as always :)

17. appolyon

appolyon Well-Known Member

I third that ... great looks guys

18. thebrownman

^ LOL .. sometimes on my iPad it'll post things multiple times, even though I click submit once. Damn it.

19. Oli2012

Alright. I have my Monday night can of worms question for SFers.

In the past I've blown money on odd jackets from MJ Bale - unfortunately, the unstructured jackets have left me with a lot of collar gap which I think is unfixable.

Because of this, over the next year or so I am looking to buy some M2M blazers and odd jackets from Suit Supply.

1) Should I buy two navy blazers (for S/S and A/W) or just one for all seasons?

2) Which fabrics should I choose?

3) Once the navy blazer(s) is acquired, what should my next odd jacket purchase be? I was thinking either a light grey or grey herringbone.

http://patrickjohnsontailors.tumblr.com/image/43434239716

20. Spandexter

Spandexter Well-Known Member

Oil, I have two - one cotton, unstructured Boglioli for summer that can be dressed up (wool pants) or down (jeans) for summer and a wool Isaia, quite heavy hopsack, for winter.

The buttoning point on SS jackets kind of bugs me and if it was lower I would own more.

I'm interested to see the recommendations for the next purchase after blue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.