• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Skip La Petite Gateau (I find it over-rated). Hit up Chokolait instead.

Assuming you enjoy chocolate.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is this style of collar called?

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have to disagree with you there, Matt. Chokolait is good for (no surprise) chocolate but I've yet to find a comparable cake to the Cosmopolitan at Le Petit Gateau - I was won over by their cake before I'd heard of their reputation. Cake-wise, do you have any other suggestions?

A lot of the so-called artisan chocolate makers are pretty disappointing. What I found over-rated were the cakes in Acland St - overly sweet and too large portions.

Michael, food-wise, I found that I was pretty fine-dined out after dining at Vue De Monde and another place in the same week - not sure how you're going to go with that list that you have there but good luck
smile.gif

I did find Attica disappointing (restaurant, ambience and service were great - the food wasn't what I expected for the price) compared to VDM the one time I went there (and similarly with Jacques Reymond) but others (like Lennier and another friend of mine) have had exactly the opposite experience. You really need to try it and come to your own conclusion.

I do recommend Chin Chin if you can get in there. Tempura Hajime in South Melbourne was very good as well (only seats 12 so you have to book). Pei Modern is good as well as are both Movida restaurants in the city.

Mamasita is on my list of things to try,.

I use one of Christian Kimber's suit wallets which is very similar to a card holder and appreciate the resulting thinness. The only issue I've had is that because it's so thin, I sometimes forget to take it out of my jacket when I get home and as a result only realise the next morning when I get to the station!

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mike; trying to find somewhere to get the Dark Knight Trilogy the cheapest I've found is Amazon but I'll have a look at some Aussie websites next
I did a bit of reading into this.

DVD players are pretty much all region free. So you can buy from Amazon or the U.K and feel safe knowing that your DVD player will be able to play the said DVDs.

However, the same can not be said for Blu-Ray. Blue-Ray is new and "all" Blu-Ray players are region locked, including the DVD player inside the Blu-Ray player. So if you buy a Sony, Panasonic, LG, Toshiba, just to name a few, there is a good chance that they won't be able to play Blu-Rays from Amazon and other overseas countries.

As someone else said above, the only work around is a cheaper Asian Blu-Ray player, such as the Soniq-B100, which can play your Blu-Rays and DVDs from any region. So if you buy regularaly from Amazon, and making the switch to Blu-Ray, buy a Soniq.

-----

Thanks for the awesome reply Gerry & Co. regarding restuarants, I have written them all down and I'll see what I can get at this short notice. Big thank you all around.
PoP - I like to eat well, as well as wear good clothing. I am a student, does that mean I should be wearing: a wafer thin singlet, Raben sun glasses and short pink shorts?

Last edited:

Naka

Reaction score

Turning back to matters sartorial, just ordered a bunch of Viccel socks. Mixed reports of quality in the main thread on 'em, but jeez, at 8 bucks a pair for OTC you can't really go wrong. I tend not to view socks as a 'lifetime' investment for good reasons... 

Out of interest, how many people here utilise a card holder as opposed to a wallet? My Aspinal of London one is due to arrive tomorrow - I'm looking forward to having something uber-thin to stick a couple cards in, rather than the somewhat irritating bulk of my current Oroton wallet w. coin section, which, to be fair has held up fantastically for the past four years! Then there's also the option of a money clip, but every time I use it I always feel like a right nonce.

Viccel socks are alright, but they tend fade fairly quickly and only the "winter weights" are worth buying. I bought 10 pairs or so a while back, I'm a little bored lack of patterns now too.

I usually use a cardholder because I don't have many cards to carry, but when I want to look and feel like a nonce I break out the breastwallet.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have to disagree with you there, Matt. Chokolait is good for (no surprise) chocolate but I've yet to find a comparable cake to the Cosmopolitan at Le Petit Gateau - I was won over by their cake before I'd heard of their reputation. Cake-wise, do you have any other suggestions?

A lot of the so-called artisan chocolate makers are pretty disappointing. What I found over-rated were the cakes in Acland St - overly sweet and too large portions.

I haven't tried everything at LPG, to be sure, and what I had was quite good, but I am a choco-holic, so my tastes just strayed elsewhere. i also have a pretty strong relationship with the oweners at Chokolait which clouds things. The Chocolate Pavlova is awesome, though.

I don't have many cake recommendations, I find I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to cakes. It's been awhile, but Hopetown Tea Rooms had amazing cakes when I've been. A bit too fuddy duddy for me (but I went with Grandpa, so that suits)

Macaroons, on the other hand, are much harder to do well, but La Belle Miette on Hardware Lane is sensational (IMO).

I found Mamasita to be over-rated, as I've found almost all Mexican in Melbourne, Lack of flavour, always seems to have left a key ingredient out. Not bad, just immemorable for me.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tab collar.

+1. I think that they can look good, but that they did not suit the rest of Bond's outfit and thus I found them to be rather jarring.

I'm sure that fxh will be able to give more info, but tab collars (to me, at least) are a very American "trad" or "ivy" item of clothing. For example, J. Press and Brooks Brothers have been offering tab collar shirts for many decades and I remember seeing photos of Donald Rumsfeld (who had a very trad wardrobe) wearing a tab collar shirt many years back. Here's an example of a tab collar shirt on the BB website.

I did a bit of reading into this.

DVD players are pretty much all region free. So you can buy from Amazon or the U.K and feel safe knowing that your DVD player will be able to play the said DVDs.

However, the same can not be said for Blu-Ray. Blue-Ray is new and "all" Blu-Ray players are region locked, including the DVD player inside the Blu-Ray player. So if you buy a Sony, Panasonic, LG, Toshiba, just to name a few, there is a good chance that they won't be able to play Blu-Rays from Amazon and other overseas countries.

As someone else said above, the only work around is a cheaper Asian Blu-Ray player, such as the Soniq-B100, which can play your Blu-Rays and DVDs from any region. So if you buy regularaly from Amazon, and making the switch to Blu-Ray, buy a Soniq.

Most "locked" DVD players can be unlocked by doing an online search for a code and then entering the code (usually by pressing a combination of buttons on the remote control). This applies to both standard and Blu-Ray DVD players. I'm sure that there are threads on the Whirlpool forum about it, too.

PoP - I like to eat well, as well as wear good clothing. I am a student, does that mean I should be wearing: a wafer thin singlet, Raben sun glasses and short pink shorts?

MS - I suspect that His Paisley Highness's comment was rather facetious, so don't take it to heart.

lennier

Reaction score
So Attica is decent? I am not the biggest fan of 'white table cloth' meals.

Not sure why you have Vue de Monde and Florentinos on your list then.

At the risk of sounding rather fatuous, VdM doesn't use table cloths. :p

Yes true. I assumed MS was using it as a term for a certain level of fine dining, but perhaps he just doesn't like linen (except in shirts) :)

Back to menswear, I got a decent resolution out of MJ Bale on the online suit purchase balls up, so I'm happy with them as a company. That said I can see little incentive to bother with their online again since it's much more pleasant and productive to deal with Tom and Paulo in person.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes true. I assumed MS was using it as a term for a certain level of fine dining, but perhaps he just doesn't like linen (except in shirts) :)

Back to menswear, I got a decent resolution out of MJ Bale on the online suit purchase balls up, so I'm happy with them as a company. That said I can see little incentive to bother with their online again since it's much more pleasant and productive to deal with Tom and Paulo in person.

Yeah I went in yesterday to see those guys. Really friendly. I bought not only the light blue version of the wool/silk/linen navy blazer I bought the other day, but also their version of a Harrington jacket :embar:

Wondering if I should return it and just pick up a Baracuta G9 in the next few weeks when I'm in the USA though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads