1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TehBunny

TehBunny Well-Known Member

Anyone had experience with Ranocurt's loafers? Particularyly interested in the 'beefroll' variety in something that ages well; they have a few cxl varieties and am currently looking at them as cxl usually ages beautifully. Yeah I know it's not summer again; god damn I love winter but caught sight of them and they look great all though a bit dear.

2. streetminimal

streetminimal Well-Known Member

can't wait for my meaty tax return to come...ill finally have some $wag cash for the PJ I've been putting aside for almost 7 months now

3. thebrownman

thebrownman Well-Known Member

Nah, that's Thom Grogan.

4. sliq

sliq Well-Known Member

hopefully this is the year where i DON'T have to pay more taxes T.T

5. appolyon

appolyon Well-Known Member

6. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

Funny you should post this as I was just looking at these today. $595 is a good deal for those boots, they are probably the most handsome of the English full brogue foul weather boots - or "David Copperfield boots" as my partner calls them! I have to say though, I think they are overkill for Sydney. It gets very wet here, but you obviously just don't get the slush of winter you do in a European or North American city. And I'd wager they would be useless as bush or riding boots... Anyway, if you like the look, these would be a nice option for wet weather.

7. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Those boots look like they are for blokes who still yearn for their old 12 up docs but are scared a forum poster might see them from tram.

8. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

Depends where the member is from. A Scandinavian member recommended boots like that for me for my trip last year. I got some from Herring (made by Grenson I think) and they came in very handy. Will probably get some use out of these again this winter.

9. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Well-Known Member

If you're really after an alternative to the Lindrick, I would say the C&J Skye or Skye 2 (shell) is a lot closer in look and rather more beautiful IMO. The Skye 2 is basically the Lindrick with a Dainite sole. I am looking at the Syke and C&J tells me they are 394gbp shipped to Australia (current price as at a week ago).

10. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

Are they in stock? If not, you'll be looking at an 8 - 10 week wait.

11. Gerry Nelson

At least they can go sockless without showing any ankle ...

12. meister

meister Well-Known Member

I had a pair from Brooks - the C&J Conistons - and sold them. Never got any wear in Sydney.

13. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

Are boots like this comfy? Ive never gone higher than a Chelsea or chukka

14. thebrownman

If they fit properly, yes.

My Alden cordovan boots are fractionally lower than these and are very comfortable despite their sturdiness. It could even be that the sturdiness lends some comfort.

No substitute for trying on, though.

2 people like this.
  15. thebrownman

If you are a size L Slim Fit in Herringbone shirts and want a new white OCBD shirt, PM me.

Brand new with tags - $50 inc. postage in Australia

[​IMG]

(Sorry for the poor picture quality)

16. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Yes - as TBM said, they're very comfy if they fit well.

I've got a pair of very similarly-styled Loake boots (wingtip brogue boots in a scotchgrain leather with a Dainite sole) which I wear in wet weather. The first couple of times I wore them, I got a sore patch on my left calf where the shaft of the boot was pressing against my calf muscle. However, after using some leather conditioner and after wearing them a few times, that went away and I've never had a problem since.

17. Gerry Nelson

Today:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Those are my very comfy Lindrick wingtip boots [​IMG]

18. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

Looking good GN.

Just a general observation to the discussion above - probably the most potential discomfort would come from the dainite sole. As has been mentioned before, they can be hard on your forefoot, though of course for wet weather they are better than leather. Unfortunately what you gain in water resistance you lose in flexibility of the sole which as discussed, can make boots or shoes of this type unsuited to walking long distances. GN - how do you find the leather(?) soles on your Lindricks are holding up?

19. Gerry Nelson

Thanks PoP!

I had my pair topy'd after slipping on a dry road once so my experience may not be the most accurate. They're holding up very well but I haven't worn them much over summer. I plan to wear them a lot over the colder months though.

Just to throw one more boot into the mix - there are some pebblegrain Lindricks at http://www.dsw.com/shoe/ralph+lauren+collection+lindrick+wingtip+boot?prodId=286895 for $499.95 which are really the boot version of the Pembroke.

20. thebrownman

Nice one, G!

I'm wearing NB 576s. Made in da UK. Might not get them Topy'd in case they're Goodyear welted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.