• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

DartagnanRed

Reaction score
...with a rather gross colour scheme IMO.

Gerry - I was checking your tumblr out today, I reckon I can almost pinpoint your house based on that lane shot mate!

I'm heading back to Melbourne soon, apart from double monks anything else worth wandering through?
Yes I think it would look nicer in a burgundy of some sort. They're from some Spanish outfit called Andrew Lock. Yet another Spanish shoemaker, though I wouldn't be suprised if they were in some way related to Meermin given the designs.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gerry - I was checking your tumblr out today, I reckon I can almost pinpoint your house based on that lane shot mate!

Thanks for checking it out
smile.gif
You're welcome to come by and play the guitars!

By the way, my Kent Wang long sleeved polo arrived yesterday and I was wearing it today - I ordered a large as per Kent's advice but they sent a medium instead. It was pretty snug around the arms to begin with but stretched out nicely the more i wore it.

It turned out to be the right size for me and I'm glad for the error!

Last edited:

burnso

Reaction score
I think you could wear those with blue, dark brown pants (or jeans) without too much trouble. You could probably get away with wearing them with a navy suit, so long as the fabric isn't too dark and/or a formal plain weave.
I wouldn't wear them with a shiny light coloured suit unless you want to look like a spiv. On the other hand you will blend in at the races.
But whatever you do, for God's sake burn those slippers top left!

Typically i find the lighter shade of brown the more casual and harder to pull off. Those would be fine with navy pants and a button down shirt or a pair of nice jeans (mid blues through to dark would work). Theyd work with a grey pair of pants too but nothing thats too dark/borderline black
I wouldnt wear them with a light colour suit. Light grey suits i prefer black shoes.

Thanks for the help, some great info.

I've got a dark grey suit being made, kind of a steel grey, so thinking that might just sneak in.
Also thinking twice about pairing them with khaki chinos.

Prince of Paisley, you baggin' my Aquilas?! ...lol way ahead of you, might keep them around to laugh at occasionally. Its funny, they cost the same as those brown Loakes next to them.

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its a rarity in sydney anywhere! Even i cant pull it off in my day job as its too far from the norm. Ill sometimes do a white fold at work but usually reserve it for when im dressed down in separates otherwise feel naked. Ill always pocket square for non work occassions
So even you find it hard to wear a non-white pocket square to work, let alone a square that isn't folded in the pocket?

Everyone comments on it. Most people don't like it. Even on a 'casual friday' or when you're out on the weekend, people don't like it.

Reaction score
Does anyone know some tailors based in Tasmania? Am going there and would like to check the competition out there.

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Prince of Paisley, you baggin' my Aquilas?! ...lol way ahead of you, might keep them around to laugh at occasionally. Its funny, they cost the same as those brown Loakes next to them.
After reading this thread, I gave mine to Vinnies, along with an inventory of Tarocash merchandise. I free up space, and I give back to charity. Rocking.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just emailed Kimber about his boots.

Awaiting response!

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

So even you find it hard to wear a non-white pocket square to work, let alone a square that isn't folded in the pocket?

Everyone comments on it. Most people don't like it. Even on a 'casual friday' or when you're out on the weekend, people don't like it.

Its not that they dont like it, i think its just not common .. In fact ive never ever seen anyone in my workplace wear one except for myself. Id always attract some comments and for that reason ill use it sparingly and subtley because i dont want to be attention seeking

Reaction score

Picked up a new P Johnson piece today. Trying out the latest Loro Piana 3ply blue-grey weave s120s. Open weave super light and its navy with a grey thread. Matte yet lustrious. Fully handfinished, half lined, notch lapels, soft shoulder, welt/flap pockets, kissing buttons, button fly, 2inch cuff and the best touch... Patrick added some camo pocket detailing as a little surprise (he knows me well) LOVE the camo detailing.. ill try to get a better picture tomorrow
Did you pick the "camo" or did they choose for you? Also can you if it's not too indiscreet, let me know how much they charged you? Cheers mate

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its not that they dont like it, i think its just not common .. In fact ive never ever seen anyone in my workplace wear one except for myself. Id always attract some comments and for that reason ill use it sparingly and subtley because i dont want to be attention seeking
Why is it not common? Do people just not like pocket squares or something?

Even in a casual setting, people think it is OTT. I think it looks excellent, without looking too 'try hard'.

This German lady I was talking to, remarked, 'if a man dresses well in Australia, he is assumed to be gay'.

Silly Australians.
If I wear a pocket square (on occasion) and someone looks at it or points it out I take it out and fake blow my nose on it then put it back in my pocket. Every time. Never gets old for me.
Haha, I guess that works.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just emailed Kimber about his boots.

Awaiting response!

Morning Matt,

I hope you're well,

Thanks for your continued interest. The shoes arrive in a few weeks. I experienced a few delays with the production for the first order to ensure they are perfect. I would love to get you into a pair.

Best Wishes,

Christian

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why is it not common? Do people just not like pocket squares or something?

Even in a casual setting, people think it is OTT. I think it looks excellent, without looking too 'try hard'.

This German lady I was talking to, remarked, 'if a man dresses well in Australia, he is assumed to be gay'.

Silly Australians.
Haha, I guess that works.

They ought to have a listen to Macklemore's 'Same Love' so they stop bandying about stereotypes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads