1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Oli, as others have said, most of the difference is in the leather quality. That can affect the way the colour looks on the leather, the way it creases when you wear it, and the way it wears over time.

I've got shoes from Barker and Loake at the lower end, and from Edward Green, Lobb and a couple of Italian places at the upper end. The leather on the upper-end shoes really is much better than the leather used in the cheaper shoes. The colour looks much better, it develops a nicer patina, it tends to "hold" polish better and to develop a better shine, and the creases are much finer. The stitching is also finer, particularly on my Italian shoes. Also, the higher-end shoes wore in more quickly and easily than did my Loakes.

Notwithstanding that, however, as has already been said, if you only wear Loakes and take good care of them, your shoes will still look very nice. I like the Loakes that I have and the Capital last is very nicely-shaped. I've found that, if I put some RM Williams leather conditioner on to the vamp of a new pair of Loakes a couple of times before I wear them (letting it soak in for a day or two, applying another coat, letting it soak in for another day or two and then wearing them), the shoes feel more comfortable and wear in quite quickly.

2. Robert Meredith

Robert Meredith Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  3. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

Thanks JM, right back atchya mate.

4. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

I prefer Coriander

5. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

My mate The Shooman says to always put conditioner on new shoes as they have often been sitting a long time without a drink.

I always condition the heel inside and out and especially on the top edges to avoid the dreaded topline seam rub. Sometimes its worth conditioning the inside of the toe cap seam

6. Stebbin

Stebbin Well-Known Member

7. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

Good advice I reckon. First thing I do with new shoes, condition them up a couple of times.

Never thought of conditioning the inside of a shoe.

8. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

Took the boy to buy some work trousers yesterday, the salesman directed him towards one brand mulit pockets knee guards ect, so he goes to try the size on and comes out and there skinny stove pipe legs. Before I could say anything the salesman turned to me and said ' all the blokes his age are wearing them'

What ever happened to plain grey King Gees?

9. iSurg

iSurg Well-Known Member

Had the morning off, got a fresh cut and stopped inside American Tailors. Chilly but not rude service. Basically fewer and fewer carminas. Upon questioning, seems like they will only stock CJ's in the future ("poor return" was the term used). There were like 2 pairs of GG's left. Slim pickings.

10. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Well-Known Member

This Wed - Friday
    09:00 - 16:00
    72 Elgin St, Carlton

Place was like a fucking madhouse last time I went there.
    SUggest going during the week if you don;t want to have to elbow people in the face to get to a shirt.

11. Plestor

Plestor Well-Known Member

I've got both Loake for Herring and EG oxfords you can spot the difference pretty easily from a distance -- even with the EGs being a conservative last (202).

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  12. thebrownman

thebrownman Well-Known Member

iSurg, thank you for the round up on what's on offer at AT. I haven't been in since the beginning of the year and there was already a limited selection of Carmina shoes.

Regarding shoes, I agree with Plestor that you can quite easily tell the difference between, for example, Loake and EG, from a distance. I also agree with the earlier comment that Cheaney (at 20 to 30 per cent more) looks more handsome than a pair of Loake's. But, Loake still make good shoes and it's about finding what fits your needs and wants.

Oh, iSurg - keen to hear your thoughts on Bailey Nelson - happy for you to PM if you feel more comfortable sharing views that way.

13. Petepan

Petepan Well-Known Member

Re the Loakes, an easier comparison is Meermin vs Loakes. I personally found Loakes to lack adequate cork padding and stiff leather insole. The difference in comfort is already a million years apart, for the same price, and we have not even started on leather quality yet.

14. Nolvadex

Nolvadex Well-Known Member

Regarding photo uploads. You can chuck then onto imgur then link them here

15. strumpey

strumpey Active Member

I couldn't find the post, but someone was asking about watch repairs in Sydney.

Try this guy (can't remember his name):

Time Connections
    Shop 2a, 780 Bourke Street
    Redfern

02 8084 5219

He rides into the CBD a few times a week which is handy.

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  16. thebrownman

thebrownman Well-Known Member

Not only is it easier to compare Loake and Meermin, PetePan, but also fairer. Comparing Loake's 1880 range (though it's their best), with EG, John Lobb, et al isn't at all fair to any of the brands, because they do cater to vastly different budgets.

17. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

An entirely valid point, TBM, but it's worth noting that Oli did originally ask why one would bother to purchase C&J's or even more expensive shoes as opposed to a pair of Loake 1880 shoes, and so responses to his question naturally mentioned more expensive brands.

18. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Well-Known Member

Does MJ Bale do the 2 for $1000 instore as well? Been waiting a few weeks for them to restock some of the online sizes of the pants, customer service whilst very nice keeps assuring me they update the inventory regularly...not seeing it though.

Are there any Loake (price) or equivalent with a nice darkish brown that people would recommend in an oxford? I was considering the Meermin brown calf oxford but the wait times is a little off putting, eitherway if anyone has a recommendation would love to hear.

I see I missed the Cardigan discussion earlier but for what its worth these arrived today, pretty happy with them for the 25% off. if you are after colour and something different than grey::

http://www.trenery.com.au/shop/knitwear-offer/mens-knits/60154961/Rack-Yoke-Cardigan.html
    http://www.trenery.com.au/shop/knitwear-offer/mens-knits/60151927/Shawl-Cotton-Cardigan.html

19. lachyzee

lachyzee Well-Known Member

Yes. And if they store doesn't have your size, they'll order it in. They get $$ for sales, obviously. Buy enough stuff and they usually give you a discount, too.

20. Petepan

Petepan Well-Known Member

Very true. I pointed out Meermin because the Meerkats are quite close to C & J's benchgrade in terms of quality, and hence by choosing Meermin, Oli may be getting C & J quality for Loake's price, which solves his conundrum. We Aussies are practical buggers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.