1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orchie

Orchie Well-Known Member

On a completely unrelated topic, how do you guys approach texture when you dress? With the cooler weather I find myself attracted to clothing that *feels* warm (regardless of ability to keep me warm). So texture and aesthetics are both coming into play in my purchasing decisions.

Being a newbie to this whole movement, I'm curious as to how you handle mixing and matching of textures. Are there rules of thumb? When are too many textures too much (if ever)?

Grant

2. thebrownman

thebrownman Well-Known Member

DB, aside from Moscot as recommended by Geoffrey Firmin (who wears the Grunya style well), check out Mosley Tribes and Paul Smith (both made by Oliver Peoples). Tom Ford (et al) make nice frames though must are overpriced. Tortoiseshell style acetate frames are also made by brands such as SUPER, Han, Francois Pinton, Garrett Leight (Oliver Peoples founder's son), Lafont, and that's all I can think of off the top of my head..

If you want unparalleled quality, look at Cutler & Gross. 0935 is a classic shape in dark tortoise, as is the 0734.

3. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Well-Known Member

Gold. Thanks Gent's. Looking forward to researching the leads. Have a great weekend!

4. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Dusty - I stumbled upon a new glasses place the other day in Greville Street. Reasonably hip as you might imagine in that area. They were doing groovy stuff for $100 for prescription readers iirc - more for bi-focals - lots of options. Tortoiseshell - or facsimile - round James Joyce specs, Buddy Holly etc etc . Forget the name. I have a card somewhere. I did notice they had an ad campaign somewhere in print media a few days later. They have no resident optometrist but will refer to a friendly one or use existing scripts.

They also have a sydney presence

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  5. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

Clive Palmer has about as much chance of being prime minister as he does of ever wearing a decent fitting suit.... Or brining dinosaurs back to life.

6. Dusty Brogues

Thanks Fxh, great price pt too. If you stumble across the card, you know how to find me.

Back to good OL Clive, represents the strip definitively. When is he gonna start drilling? If I had his coin my undies would be canvassed.

Stout in the fridge is beckoning.....

7. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

I'm at two conferences in Sydney this week what'd the chances be that we cross paths at the same one?

Jase save me that brown the floral till tmr pls

I wear Lunor glasses

8. EL84

EL84 Member

Shuron or Ray Ban.

I've had Wayfarers with prescription lenses for 6 years and now have Clubmasters (Ronsir brownline style) as well. They are really tough, I wear them all day everyday.

1 person likes this.
  9. Orchie

Orchie Well-Known Member

I'm at Australian Technology Park Wednesday/Thursday, presenting Thursday afternoon. Would be an amusing coincidence if you were there also - let me know :)

Grant

10. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

No worries plenty of stock in the silks at the moment, some of the wools are getting low but will re-stock anyway.

11. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

I like the new wayfarers. They're the only sunglasses you can wear inside.

12. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

aghh seems ur site is down again...

"Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_VARIABLE in /home/jconcept/public_html/henrycarter/wp-includes/functions.php on line 192"

13. joiji

joiji Well-Known Member

14. gpt293

gpt293 Member

Has anyone bought anything directly off the SNS Herning website? Been trying to get in contact with them but haven't heard back. Do they ship to Australia and are quoted prices inclusive or exclusive of VAT?

15. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

Man, second time wearing my loakes today. Went for a walk along the harbour, my feet are shredded.

I hope they are the right size. I'm taking them to the leatherman to be broken in on monday (if I can walk)...

16. meister

meister Well-Known Member

Did you go the full last making bespoke route etc or just went with a pair you saw on the site?

What sort of secure payment did they have?

Literally? or is this after they make up your personal last?

17. AriGold

AriGold Well-Known Member

Do not buy this. Its from the Lauren by RL brand which is made for outlets. Terrible quality. Go to Myer or DJs and RL there has a whole bunch of stuff for 50% off including some black label too.

18. thebrownman

thebrownman Well-Known Member

+1 to what Ari said - don't buy those jackets.

Also, your shoes really shouldn't be hurting your feet to that extent. Some discomfort is expected, but it should IMO be slight. Hope they're able to break those shoes in for you!

19. Stebbin

Stebbin Well-Known Member

It's my first time ordering from Bonita so I went with the pair they had on the site. However, aliexpress isn't set up very well for the different grades of shoemaking so I had to follow her instructions in ordering a pair of goodyear welted boots in the style I wanted. The idea is to have an idea of the quality for my first order so I can make my personal last and design for any subsequent orders.

I think Aliexpress has its own secure payment portal through credit card. No paypal, unfortunately. However, I've ordered other stuff from the website before (not shoes) and the orders usually turn out okay.

20. Dusty Brogues

Really?! I just saw Joiji's post and l thought that represented a great deal. Was not aware of the inferior quality.
    Cheers Ari.
    BTW You must be all geared for the new season of Entourage

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.