1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

2. sliq

sliq Well-Known Member

indeed. one my favorite tan loafers, Mariano Campanile, are italian made and blake stitched. the finish is very clean and not obnoxious.

[​IMG]

(excuse the falke socks)

3. AriGold

AriGold Well-Known Member

How much are the AM shoes that are on sale?

4. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Well-Known Member

Oli

Why you chose to post this when Nice Guy Gerry is away I do not know...

Gerry and Christian (of Christian Kimber Footwear) have the best polishing skills I have seen. So much so that I joke that only wear suede shoes around them as I am embarrassed by how unpolished my leather ones look. Thebrownman also gets great results so he might be worth asking.

Maybe Gerry will do a little write up of his technique. Christian presented a night about it (which I attended) as did Double Monk (where Gerry gave a demonstration, unfortunately I could not make it).

Basically once you know the main technique, like most things, it is time and effort. And practice. I took a few of my pairs out and it has taken a week of on/off polishing to get them looking good (10 mins here, 20 mins there).

The most basic breakdown is clean, condition then add polish, wait at bit, buff and repeat as much as you can be bothered. You can experiment with polish with different colours and levels of layers. I tend to do a layer or two of black on brown and sometimes add some burgundy too.

Lighter shoes can be darken and will get a nice patina over time, polishing and use. Once you start polishing good quality leather you can see and feel the difference in the shine produced. Try to darken you shoes slowly with light layers of a black or dark brown polish as well as some lighter brown. Your best results will happen around the toe and heel (where there is little bending when walking).

I use Saphir products, like a lot of others here (in fact people might be interested in a group buy though I believe Double Monk does a good price). They get a lot of hype, but I really do find I get great results with them (not like GN, TBM or Christian but I try). Not sure if that is the quality of the product, the fact I like using it or that my wife (and I) likes the smell (mink oil). Probably a combination of all three.

Not really sure how much that helps you. In short, just start polishing. As long as you use light layers something is much better than nothing and you will learn as you go. Do a search on Put This On as they will have a few helpful articles and maybe search EthanDesu Tumblr archive for some inspiration and tips.

Here is an article Christian penned a while back - http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/comment/articles/2010-12/17/gq-comment-shoe-shining-masterclass-

1 person likes this.
  5. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Well-Known Member

Cheers Pink. I was wondering the same thing.

6. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Well-Known Member

First name terms..I prefer Mr Socks. I jest, hope it is of some help...would be interested to hear how you (and Oli) get on and if you pick up any tricks that work in getting a good shine.

Hopefully others will chip in too.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  7. thebrownman

thebrownman Well-Known Member

Thanks for the shout out, PS, but I'm not in the same league as Christian and Gerry. They are shoe shine monsters :)

My shine is the Amaro filter on Instagram. I use Hefe for food to get maximum nutrition. Perhaps we could share Instagram filters? I'm not sure I'm getting maximum shine...

1 person likes this.
  8. thebrownman

thebrownman Well-Known Member

Ps. Spent a good hour on PS's tumblr this evening passing time. The 170+ pages is a treasure trove of menswear. It's a carefully curated selection and having met with Mr. PS a few times now, I'm beginning to notice how I perceive his tumblr reflects his sense of dress, if that makes sense. Anyway, hope the others here look at it - I certainly enjoy it.

9. joiji

joiji Well-Known Member

Pink Socks did a good job explaining, I don't like a super high shine on my calf from day to day, so tend to skip the wax step, or just add one coat to toe/heel for some protection/glow.

In regards to changing colour, long term you can impart significant amounts of colour with polish, and control where the colour is/how it blends as it's a slower process. A quick change is dye, but this tends to tricky unless you're dying black. You might have to practice some first.

10. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

Thanks a tonne pink and joiji :)

I'll have to message gerry when he gets back!

Quick question - do you have a favourite site to order from? should I get a wax and cream or just a cream?

11. joiji

joiji Well-Known Member

If you can justify the shipping cost I've used Valmour in the past with good results. If you're wanting to dip your toe, so to speak, Double Monk stocks most of Saphir's line, think this was noted above.

I'd get cleaner, conditioner, cream, and a neutral wax if you aren't sure. Ideally you want a decent range of waxes because you can glaze different colours ontop of each other to add hues, but I'd start with neutral ontop of same-colour-cream for a while.

12. Simon at Elite

Simon at Elite Well-Known Member

This weeks specials from Huddersfield Cloth are up on the Affiliate Thread.

In this weeks there is a very nice navy "Cool Wool" that's worth a look at

13. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

He be creepin'

1 person likes this.
  14. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

If we are talking RM's here leave them out in the sun for a bit to soften them up and make them more absorbent and then apply Oakwood Leather Conditioner and leave to dry in the sun. I have used this method to darken on oak bark tanned belt with good results. Another method is to apply a Collonil self shine in a darker shade or another quality brand of polish.

15. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

Like Rob and Nabil, I too am experimenting with a less spread collar (from cottonwork for me) after the great tearing of 2013 (I've torn 4 shirts under the arms in as many weeks). So with measurements changed I'm pretty happy with this. This is the semi-cutaway with the softest interlining, but I think for the next batch i'll see if I can get them to add 1.5cm more tie space at the button and also lengthen the points by 1cm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coat: Herringbone Sydney
    Shirt: Cottonwork oxford stripe
    Tie: Henry Carter Navy Cashmere knit
    Trousers: Benjamin
    Shoes: Carmina Burgundy derby

16. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Valmour are great, particularly if you are ordering a lot as they have a "degressive" pricing policy, where the price of an individual item decreases if you buy more of that item. It applies to all colours of a particular item so if you order 10 tins of polish in different colours, you still get the discount. It works best for a group buy, of course.

Shipping is, however, expensive, which is also why a group buy is good - shipping glass jars of shoe cream from Europe isn't cheap!

Another place to get Saphir Medaille d'Or products is Torquato, which is another Euro site. I'm not sure of their shipping costs. A Fine Pair of Shoes in the UK also sells Saphir, and The Hanger Project in the US sells it too, but the latter is a bit too expensive, as far as I can see.

I'm not sure if Double Monk in Melbourne has an online store as yet, but if not, I suppose that you could always try phoning them to see if they can post some Saphir stuff to you.

Get some of the following:

- Saphir Medaille d'Or cream

- Saphir pate de luxe Medaille d'Or shoe polish

- Saphir Renovateur leather renovator

Some people also recommend getting some Renomat but I'd be careful about using it as some leathers (such as those used by C&J) don't take well to it.

1 person likes this.
  17. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Well-Known Member

HC, that's one very nice jacket mate, really impressed.

18. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Well-Known Member

Some al fresco fits:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Herringbone suit, RLPL Keaton shirt with Oroton silver and mother of pearl links, Bvlgari tie, C&J Hallams.

Not sure if the grey with pale orange is too washed out...

Also, uploading mobile pix is not working for me so well today: either they're tiny or distorted...

19. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

Yeah always a popular one. Herringbone from a few years ago (the good old days). I think Thebrownman and journeyman have the same coat also off memory. It came with suede patches on the elbow which I removed to make it a bit more versatile.

20. Marbles

Marbles Well-Known Member

I can confirm that Double Monk are happy to accept phone orders and post them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.