1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

I'm always in touch with shooey {wink}

I seem to recollect that shooey thought he was a talented young man who had got on the wrong path but wasn't beyond future redemption. I might be wrong and just imagining.

Everyone - including shooman - understand that you have to earn a crust and cater to the market.
    Although there is the question as to how much you can shape the market. Chickens - eggs. After all people can only buy that which is for sale and sellers can only earn from that which actually sells.

2. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

I note even the "conservative" styles have the dreaded toe spring.
    Can't see why its remotely considered attractive - even to (sydney) hipsters.
    Maybe I don't get out enough.

edit:: They don't look Goodyear to me but then meister would have a better eye based on photos.

There is a mistaken idea that unless a shoe is Goodyear or Hand stitched it can't be any good. Not necessarily so.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  3. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Geoffery Firmin - thanks for the reply - I'll get back and continue the discourse.

4. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Well-Known Member

Hi FXH, how so? To the above.... My general education has taught me glued = crap

Or is that the same thought as fused suits being of a lesser quality. That theory appears strained as The Suit Shop attests.

5. wishiwasricher

wishiwasricher Well-Known Member

I think a lot of AM's shoes could be considered STreet wear formal if that makes any sense.

I can't comment on the quality but from the styles I've seen, I could definitely see people wearing them with jeans chinos in less formal settings. Not my cup of tea but to each their own.

6. thebrownman

thebrownman Well-Known Member

I agree. There are many beautiful looking Italian-made shoes that do not boast Goodyear welted construction and I feel are overlooked as being sub-par. People then go on to choose a pair of Goodyear welted shoes with shoddy looking uppers instead of a much nicer looking pair without that perceived "benefit"..

7. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Well-Known Member

It is my understanding that the toe spring goes away very quickly.

8. thebrownman

thebrownman Well-Known Member

I agree. There are many beautiful looking Italian-made shoes that do not boast Goodyear welted construction and I feel are overlooked as being sub-par. People then go on to choose a pair of Goodyear welted shoes with shoddy looking uppers instead of a much nicer looking pair without that perceived "benefit"..

9. lachyzee

lachyzee Well-Known Member

Calling SF fashion buffs:

Does anyone (fxh?) know what you call these sleeve things (a "sleeve epaulet", if you will) on a coat/rain mac? What is their history and do they have a function? I can't seem to find anything on google.

[​IMG]

If there was two buttons on the sleeve instead of one, I could see it serving some purpose ie you could cinch the sleeves in, but with one is it simply a fashionable appendage to the coat?

10. Stiva

Stiva Well-Known Member

They are stylised imitations of buckled sleeve straps - the original purpose of which was to tighten to keep out the elements.

See under para 9 in the following site:

http://www.gentlemansgazette.com/trench-coat-guide/

As you have noted, these ones are homage/decoration rather than functional.

Stiva

11. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

Hmm my two both have the same thing but adjustable like a belt I.e so you can cinch them in to keep the weather out. So I can only assume those ones are for show.

12. lachyzee

Hmm OK thanks makes sense. That's what I had figured, but I couldn't understand why there'd be only one button.

It must be some serious, serious (English?) weather that would require the sleeves to be cinched!

13. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

Guys I know I'm a massive pest, but I've got some questions regarding shoe care and am having trouble finding answers.

1) What are the 'must reads' on polishing/conditioning shoes? What stuff do I need and where am I best to order it?

2) I'm unhappy with the shade of my shoe. Originally I wanted a dark brown, but went a chestnut because that was all they had. Is there any way for me to darken my shoes a shade or two?

14. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

A sleeve strap, perhaps?

I agree that nowadays it seems to serve no practical purpose as, if there is only one button, it's not possible to use the strap to actually adjust the sleeve opening.

15. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

fxh -please do I read some excerpts from the first book you mentioned found it interesting food for thought.

16. iSurg

iSurg Well-Known Member

Anyone with leads on getting decent sleeveless cardigans other than drakes? Johnston's doesn't have any. I'm finding it hard to locate a vendor with a good selection...

17. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

My inspector gadget trenchcoat has adjustable sleeve cuff straps with a buckle and 4 holes. Its originally practical use as you may have guessed to adjust to keep out weather, rain, cold wind, etc. Its a bit of overkill unless you are marching a few kilometres across the wastelands of coastal St kilda looking to score.

Most other jackets and coats its been evolved/devolved down to a decoration or frippery or a representation /reference to what used to be.
    Many other menswear details are the same, buttonhole in lapel, buttons on suit jacket cuff, button down collar??

18. lachyzee

Brogues, too. I've always enjoyed the story of their roots.

19. lennier

lennier Well-Known Member

As fxh noted, the original purpose stems from military applications. not civilian. I suspect when crawling around in knee deep mud in trenches they were appreciated. Nowadays they're purely decorative in any conditions that sane human beings would venture out into voluntarily.

20. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

Not my intention to imply this, just that his shoes don't look Blake stitched so I assume he uses one of the other methods.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.