1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tobiasj

tobiasj Well-Known Member

Dark jeans or chinos, collared shirt, unstructured odd jacket. Definitely no tie or suit. Nice shoes.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  2. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Well, I'd think that a knit tie could well come under the definition of "smart casual". I wouldn't wear a printed or woven silk tie, though.

3. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

Being a rural dweller west of the divide I have a selection of winter coats and Canberra is no exception (that is if this summer will ever end)

Grey Macintosh picked up in a vinnies
    Brown three quarter length MC Jacket
    J Crew Pea Coat (yet to wear)
    Trench coat
    Sportscraft Waxed Cotton Jacket (fabric made in Japan ) never been a fan of Barbours.
    Country Road Black Brush Cotton Car Coat
    Black Leather Jacket

For those who may have missed it the AFR Lux magazine has a couple of interesting articles and have any one in Sydney bought sneakers from FEIT?

4. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

I haven't been into one of their stores in over two years. MJ Bale just does what I like better, and a little cheaper, than Herringbone has for quite a while now. Agree about the striped blazer too, looks very Boat Race or Lord's to me, but we're in the wrong hemisphere.

Knowing HB it will probably run you somewhere near $800... there are quite a few new Burberrys on eBay for about that.

5. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

Interesting you mention Boggi, that's what I think of when I see those quilted jackets too. The Italians also have a fondness for the giacca pettorina I think it's called. It's basically a sportscoat with a zippered windbreaker (and sometimes a hood) sewn into it:

[​IMG]

I'm not a big fan of really heavy coats, and partly that's because there are few days and a few more nights when you really need them in Sydney. I have a black DB overcoat, a trench coat and a leather jacket, but generally I prefer to layer a jumper, scarf etc. under a heavier weight sports coat in winter. When there's a strong souwester and/or it's pouring I'll put the trench/overcoat on top.

6. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

Only problem is when the wind does come down from the snow line it goes straight through you no matter what your wearing. Thankfully this year no standing on the sidelines watching the boy play rugby.

Yes will need to have a garage sale when i leave this town and move back to the coast.

7. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

If you're travelling to the north country fair,
    Where the winds hit heavy on the borderline,
    Remember me to one who lives there,
    For she once was a true love of mine.

See for me that her hair's hangin' down,
    It curls and falls all down her breast.
    See for me that her hair's hangin' down,
    That's the way I remember her best.

If you go when the snowflakes fall,
    When the rivers freeze and summer ends.
    Please see for me if she's wearing a coat so warm,
    To keep her from the howling wind.

If you're travellin' in the north country fair,
    Please say hello (Remember me) to one who lives there,
    For she was once a true love of mine.

If you're travellin' in the north country fair,
    Remember me to one who lives there,
    (For) She once was a true love of mine.

8. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

Sorry reword: If i had to pick one or the other for $500 itd be the Aspesi!

But I wont be paying $500 for either...

Yeah - I also found it amusing when I saw MJ Bale's samurai/sake tailoring evening - their head tailor from japan had massive collar gap issues.
    Only you can answer this best as smart casual depends on the people attending and how "dressy" or unkempt they are normally.

Jeans/white shirt/jacket would do and you can ditch the jacket if too over the top when u get there

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  9. AriGold

AriGold Well-Known Member

fuck it, im gnona wear my double breasted pint stripe suit with a tie, pocket square and tiebar. cannot wait.

10. jmills

jmills Well-Known Member

That must be some engagement party. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  11. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

Checked out the new Zara in Canberra today. Not too bad you know. Not too much I'd wear (too skinny and short) but there are a few things there. They'll hurt country road here a lot.

Picks were a really great double breasted charcoal overcoat at $299, nicely cut cardigans at $59.95 (unfortunately poly/viscose though) and some merino knitwear at 80 bucks. Found the perfect pair of lighter washed denim, but as is often the case they would have been sprayed on my cyclists legs. I'll prob go back and pick up a few bits and pieces and if something like this was around while I was in my early 20's then I would have bought a lot more.

12. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Until some idiot left it on top of the car and drove off I was happy with my old Konic Minolta dimage camera - it was simple and thin enough and had a small belt pouch so that it was unobtrusive and could be easily taken anywhere without problems.

It also had a fixed lense rather than a wind out one so that I didn't have to wait while the camera whirred and poked its nose out to take a pic. Not poking its nose out and making a noise was great for taking stealth pics.

Is there anything similar around now?

I'm looking to get a cheap and cheerful small camera to take away. Small and with a small belt pouch is a big plus for me. Ability to turn off auto focus and a decent optical zoom is handy.

Any suggestions?

Left to my own devices (small word play) I'll probably walk into JB HIFI and get a OLYMPUS TG-320 14MP DIGITAL CAMERA - for $147 -- for its no poking out nose feature or a Fuji film Finepix XP30 Digital Camera for $120 at Office works or just a JB OLYMPUS VG-160 14MP DIGITAL STILL CAMERA - for $84 and snaffle a cheap belt pouch from somewhere.

13. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

Fxh have you looked into the helmet cams in the bike shops? Light, robust, portable. The Sony one I saw was pricey, but takes very good photo and video.

14. sliq

sliq Well-Known Member

15. lachyzee

lachyzee Well-Known Member

Does anyone know somewhere in Melbourne that might have nice leather folios/compendiums for <$150?

I'm looking at buying one for a present, but the Hunt Leather ones are a bit too expensive.

16. lachyzee

lachyzee Well-Known Member

17. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Well-Known Member

Tailfeather or Temono might have something.

18. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Well-Known Member

No harm in CR getting a good, sound wake up call. Like many other retailers here, I think they need it. It's sad, but I'm no longer excited at the thought of walking into most brick and mortar stores in Sydney. Now, if Double Monk opened a store here, that'd be a different matter.

In other news, I think I'm going to commission a linen BD with Luxius, that mob in Neutral Bay. Saw a really nice, understated fabric from Japan (white stripes on a pale blue ground) that would go perfectly with my navy casual suit.

Will let you all know how it goes.

BTW, tried the sky blue summer chambray from Luxire (the mob in India) and I'm sorry to say It didn't do anything for me. Fabric feels dry and insubstantial; wrinkles a lot as well. Not sure if it's 1 or 2 ply (I suspect the former). Of course, at the low price point, one can't complain too much. Will think twice before pulling the trigger again, however.

19. g-banger

g-banger Well-Known Member

Good luck, very keen to hear how it all works out for you.

BTW - speaking of neutral bay, i was there for dinner last night. I haven't eaten there for a while, got to say pretty bloody impressed with all the food options there now!
    i went to Ribs & Burgers last night, got the pork ribs. Very tasty :nodding:

20. sliq

sliq Well-Known Member

putting aside the cheap fabric were the cut and fit spot on?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.