1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebosschamp

thebosschamp Member

Thanks! I assume he's a pro on this topic?

2. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Well-Known Member

He is involved in an affordable MTM operation with the P Johnson Tailors crew that, when launched, could meet your needs.

Welcome to the thread.

3. lennier

lennier Well-Known Member

Sorry, was a little brief in my haste. He has a new MTM suit business going public sometime soon-ish, which I suspect will fit your criteria. If you search back through his posts here you'll see some more info.

4. g-banger

g-banger Well-Known Member

us tonight

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. boff

boff Well-Known Member

How weird are your arms? Have a think about picking up something from ebay with unfinished sleeves (so you give your tailor a head start). For example, the sleeves on this are fairly long to begin with and you could probably still get another inch or two. Contact the vendor to find out. Alterations from a decent tailor (not one of those crappy alterations places) will set you back another $200 to $300. So about a grand all up.

The ebay link is only an example, I have no idea of your style, size etc...

EDIT - sorry just noticed that example was a 50US not a 50EU. So sleeves aren't that long.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  6. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Well-Known Member

I could only guess who would be in the back seat.... [​IMG]

7. nabilmust

nabilmust Well-Known Member

Baby don't hurt me, no more.

8. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Well-Known Member

Yes, Birdland. [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

9. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Well-Known Member

Any other suggestions for places to get dress trousers from?

HY, Luxire are off the list.

Brooks Brothers, Jos A Bank, Yoox, Mr. Porter and similar I have been through and found naught.

I'd actually considering going down the tailored route if the pants could come in under $250, otherwise
    is there any other place in Melbourne to pick up some nice pants?
    I think Online is cost prohibitive due to shipping charges.

thanks.

10. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

Great establishment when ever I go in there to bash the plastic I think that this is building my son's inheritance.

Now if he would only give up on Tucpac

11. Petepan

Petepan Well-Known Member

You are an evil man.

Just as well I am in Sydney.

And unfortunately, I have found Amouage Memoir. Sublime, woody smoky and complex. Exactly what I have been looking for.

Sigh sigh sigh.

Anyone knows where I can get the smaller bottle on the cheap? Strawberry Net has the best price ATM.

12. jaypee

jaypee Well-Known Member

Could it be the greatest soundtrack of all time?

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

13. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

I understand (from previous posts that you have made) that you object to paying very much for shipping from overseas.

However, it seems to me that even though you might pay more than you really want to for shipping at places like Howard Yount or Shop the Finest, purchasing high-quality trousers from overseas is still likely to be quite a bit cheaper than purchasing mediocre trousers here.

Paying shipping is simply part of the cost of shopping overseas. I know that we've had this discussion here before but (speaking for me), it makes sense to just regard shipping as part of the overall cost and thus factor it in to the total price of the product. After all, when you purchase a product from a store here, you don't ask the shop to break down the price for you into labour, marketing, shipping and so on and yet all of those factors, including shipping, are used in calculating the total price of the item that you purchase in a store here in Australia.

Therefore, why not just get over it, bite the bullet, pay the shipping cost, and get yourself some decent trousers?

Edited to add: I don't know what sort of quality you're looking for, but if you just want some serviceable wool or cotton trousers, you could have a look at Lands' End in the US. They're not amazing, but they are reasonable quality and are very affordably priced. Furthermore, if you are concerned about shipping, the cost of shipping several items (say, two shirts and two pairs of cotton trousers, as an example) typically comes to $40 or thereabouts. Finally, Lands' End have an Australian return address in Sydney so if you order their stuff and it doesn't fit or if you don't like it, it doesn't cost much to return it.

14. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

Should be able to find Cantarelli, Canali and Versace pants at Azzarro for under $250. Also his home-brand jeans are made by Borrelli.

15. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

A lot of people think I am evil today, for some reason. :)

Would you be interested in a splt on the Amouage, or are you set on a full bottle?

16. lachyzee

lachyzee Well-Known Member

What's your objection to Luxire?

Eat the one time $30-60 cost to send some existing pants there (or just give measurements), and you can get future pants from $60 and up including Fed Ex delivery. Their workmanship, in my experience, is fantastic.

They also have access to Dugdale and Minnis fabrics now for a pretty reasonable price.

17. Petepan

Petepan Well-Known Member

Do you have a sample to sell to me? If so, yes, I am interested, please PM.

I want to try out about 10 other samples I have chosen before making a decision. The Histoires de Parfums scents look very interesting. I would be grateful for other recommendations on complex wood/leather/tobacco scents. Not Creed Tabarome though.

Memoir blends well with my skin chemistry, but becomes kind of muted. I am undecided whether it is too faint, or whether it is elegantly muted. It was only a very small spray, not the usual dosage. The subtle vetiver base combines very well with the wood and leather. I cannot smell any tobacco though.

18. TehBunny

TehBunny Well-Known Member

^Don't go by measurements for luxire pants; unless your really good at that kinda stuff cuz mine turned out shit opt for sending some already well fitting pants instead.

19. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Well-Known Member

http://styleforumau.wikidot.com/wiki:suits-in-australia

20. smeggett

smeggett Well-Known Member

There's no popovers or anything particularly sartorial about my weekend, but I'm off wine making - at least the grape picking and crushing / de-stemming stage and kicking off the ferment... Shiraz / Cab-Sauv from a 1 acre block of hobby grapes and the resultant product is quite exceptional (if I don't stuff up!)

Hope everyone else enjoys the long weekend (where you have it)!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.