1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Well-Known Member

2. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

I can't tell if the sleeves are too long because the model has his hands in his pockets. In terms of length, it's no different from any other half length raincoat.

Wouldn't your feet get wet in the rain anyway unless you were wearing something like this?

[​IMG]

3. Nicholas D C

Nicholas D C Well-Known Member

Any fit feedback gents? Trying to go for a more relaxed weekend look recently, now that it's colder I can layer a bit more. Phone pics, but better quality than the last attempt... please be gentle.

[​IMG]

Mandatory contrived watch-adjustment, lol. Light is a bit better on this one.

[​IMG]

4. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

I think in the context of our country, a structured sports coat with flap pockets on the weekend is anything but relaxed, but that's just me and I tend to dress down on the weekends a bit more. At the moment, it's probably a bit old looking for someone who looks in their late 20's or early 30's if I'm being honest.

I think if your going to go a SC, look for something completely unstructured, sort of that boglioli washed look to scale back the formality. I also don't think Sydney is cold enough, especially at this time of the year to be so layered up. If you feel the cold a bit more and feel the need to layer, I'd again look at something a bit less old looking, like a thinner merino wool v-neck or something similar. I'm really not a fan of the squashed collar look of crew necks over shirts, but again, that's just me. Hope that's gentle enough :)

5. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

Oh and by the way, the 25% off sale will finish at 9am tomorrow AEST.

[​IMG]

6. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Nick DC, I think that it looks good.

Depending on how fussy you are, you could shorten the sleeves slightly (particularly if you like to show a bit of cuff), and the shoulders could probably be slightly narrower, and there could be more waist suppression.

However, it looks very nice - it's a decent fit and it's better-fitting than the vast majority of jackets worn by Australian men. I really like the look of the colour and pattern - could we have a close-up?

To change the subject, I'm getting really tired of the rain in Brisbane - it's yet another rainy afternoon and whilst the weather was supposed to improve over the weekend, with showers starting to clear, forecasters are now saying that we might be in for quite a lot more rain! Aaagh - I'm tired of wearing my trench and shoes with Dainite soles to work and I want to get back to wearing summer clothes before it gets too cool!

[​IMG]

7. Nicholas D C

Nicholas D C Well-Known Member

Good feedback, thanks. It's a cotton cable crew-neck which is very thin - might come across a little thicker in the pic than it really is. I prefer the crews w. button down collars over v's personally, but this crewneck might be a bit 'too' tight - could probably size up.

You're spot on with the older look, that's the aesthetic I prefer although it can be a bit anachronistic at times. I have had my eyes on the younger-looking Boglioli blazers for a while now, and I appreciate their aesthetic. Wish there was somewhere to try 'em on in Sydney though.

Thanks mate. Will try and get a close-up with a better camera, as it never seems to come out right on the phone. Thanks for the jacket alteration tips - will keep it in mind next time I take some stuff down to a tailor.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  8. Gerry Nelson

Yes, enough with the rain. Here's some shine:

[​IMG]

My best effort so far.

9. aKula

aKula Well-Known Member

Looks good. Only small thing I'd change would be to look for a shirt with a higher collar. Could just be squashed at the back of the neck though.

10. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Odd places

3 people like this.
  11. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Well-Known Member

If you're going for laid back and relaxed then I do not think the jacket is appropriate - why not just leave it out and stick with the casual shirt and jumper (which look very cool)?

12. Gerry Nelson

Where do you get your even trousers from?

13. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Well-Known Member

Try Henry Bucks. Can even get reasonable prices during sales time though for best prices look online. Do a search of this forum for a post I did on quite a few places to buy Boglioli.

I love the 3 Boglioli coats I have. You can dress up without looking overdressed or stuffy.

14. joiji

joiji Well-Known Member

The tip of the toe looks duller than the rest of the cap, which is strange. Good effort though.

15. Gerry Nelson

Thanks for pointing that out. I think that the photo exaggerates the effect but you have a point. At least it will be much faster to do the tips.

16. joiji

joiji Well-Known Member

17. joiji

joiji Well-Known Member

Longer shirt sleeves, little off the jacket sleeves. Something is up with the chest or shoulders of the jacket, looks too large somewhere, which is creating the dimples on your right hand side. Nice colour combination, though.

18. Gerry Nelson

For this one, I wanted the whole cap shined like this (Lear's pic, not mine):

[​IMG]

For a plain toed shoe, I would go with your approach.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  19. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

Fits well. If you want to be pedantic maybe the sleeves are a tad long and button stance a tad high vs your natural waist but i reckon looks good. Edit: second pic the stance doesnt look too off... Perhaps its the lighting on the lapel roll throwing off the first pic

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  20. Spandexter

Spandexter Well-Known Member

The high-ish button stance combined with what seems to be quite closed quarters (at least in the first pic) make for an interesting silhouette.....makes everything below the button look very elongated. That aside, I don't mind it but probably too formal for me.

Check out Boglioli. I have a nice washed navy jacket which is perfect for these types of things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.