1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Well-Known Member

Don't worry, I want to be there, so elephant answered.

2. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

But I only have so much money :(

3. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

I know it would be like laying pearls before swine, but do you have any plans for a Sydney exhibit?

4. streetminimal

streetminimal Well-Known Member

trunkshow @ ludlows on the 18th. got it.

5. Plestor

Plestor Well-Known Member

Maybe I missed it, but are you available for Canberra based viewings?

6. Prince of Paisley

OK buster you make a powerful argument. I've always liked black knit ties but now it's become clear that my life has been empty without one. They are everything I thought I never wanted in a tie...

Trouble is I prefer regular tipped ties to square end ones so I'll have to have a look around to find one I really like.

7. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

Not at this stage but not because I don't want to. Just that with not having a stockist in Sydney (something I'm hoping to change this year) I'd have to hire a venue, provide drinks, food etc etc it's a fairly expensive proposition. I'm not the sort of person that likes to do these things half assed and I'm not against the idea by any means. Perhaps if someone wanted to team up for something it would be made easier. Hint hint Rob....

Absolutely, We've often turned these kind of things in to mini meet ups where the couple of Canberra members go for a beer/coffee and look at a few things. But it can also be organised one on one, at your home or office provided it's not before 5.30pm. There is of course no obligation to buy anything. Just pm me if there is anything you want to check out.

8. Nicholas D C

Nicholas D C Well-Known Member

After the discussion on the watches I linked a few pages back, and with the objective of a sportier weekend watch in mind I went back and did some reading and visited a few watch stores to try on all the usual suspects (Rolex DJ and Sub, Omega Seamaster OP and Pro) but I ended up short-listing the Stowa Prodiver (shown here w. plain steel bezel and non-orange hand - note, not my picture). I really like this model because it's not a 'hommage' or replica of any 'established' swiss watch, and it's at a surprisingly reasonable price-point. The orange-hand version on a green zulu strap (as shown on wornandwound.com) looks particularly awesome, and that's the sort of relaxed aesthetic I think I'll be gravitating toward.

[​IMG]

Great review here: (by wornandwound). Anyone have any feedback on this Stowa/impressions? I haven't pulled the trigger on this yet, but that video really sold me on it...

Down-the-track grail watch is still an IWC 500107 (Portugese Automatic), which I prefer to the Chronograph.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  9. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Well-Known Member

Maybe the coming soon Henry Carter black grenadine can fill this space - with a tie that would be blank space if not for the texture if I am reading (and agreeing with) fxh's argument correctly.

10. nabilmust

nabilmust Well-Known Member

After all this talk about a black knit tie, I regret not packing mine to Sydney. Definitely am packing it into the luggage on the way back here.

PoP, I think I might have a black knit with a regular tip. If I find it, I will be happy to give it to you.

11. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

even berlusconi gets collar gap:p

[​IMG]

12. nabilmust

nabilmust Well-Known Member

He's got 99 problems, but a collar gap ain't one

13. Prince of Paisley

That's quite a nice looking watch, though it is on the bulky side of course being a pro-diver style. I don't know if that might be an issue for you?

14. aussiejake

aussiejake Well-Known Member

I've got a brand new TOJ1 black/black in size 48 that I'm about to put up for sale in the marketplace, if anyone is interested before I put it up.

In other news, just got my first 'proper' tie, a 8cm Drakes.

[​IMG]

Lovely quality, great colour. It seems I can pull off 8cm ties, but being a skinny guy, 7-7.5cm will be my perfect width.

15. jmills

jmills Well-Known Member

Thanks to the person who mentioned PJ's new range of shirts a few weeks ago. I investigated, and they're sized quite similarly to my MTM shirts, so I placed an order for one. It arrived today and I'm very impressed. It's well made, has nice fabric/buttons, plus the spread collar is great. Highly recommended.

16. meister

meister Well-Known Member

Total victory for me on both counts. I had to say that. fxh is right. Just take them to Coombes in the Strand for follow ups.

BTW I have a brand new box and bags pair of black dub monks C&J Lowndes in 10E UK for sale. Good price - PM me.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  17. Durazing

Durazing Member

Stowas are lovely watches. I have an Airman and a Prodiver. Solid gear and great value.

18. md2010

md2010 Well-Known Member

Double monks anyone ??
    [​IMG]

19. cciss

cciss Member

Topying is maligned, but I think it's a great idea. Not long after getting my first pair of loakes there was a week of rain in Sydney, and those metal grills on the sidewalk were essentially death traps. I would try to creep over them with my hands up for balance while attempting to not look foolish (It didn't work).

Nothing is less sartorial than falling and getting a tear in the backside of your trousers.

Speaking of trousers, my hunt for a decent pair continues. I've been to M&R Tailors and $400 simply isn't in my price range. Any tailors in Paddington are kind of too far away. I was looking at epaulet, any ideas? I'm slightly apprehensive about their lack of flexibility when it comes to returns, but it might be worth a shot. Additionally, i'm about a 32 inch waist (size 30 in companies like MJ Bale) - would getting the size 30 in a 31 inch be wise? I like slim fits.

20. jaypee

jaypee Well-Known Member

Looks like the love child of Nick Wooster and a shoe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.