1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nathan5653

Nathan5653 Active Member

Thanks, I'll probably go through with it because I really like the jacket.
    Thanks for the informative reply. I'm still learning so I'm not really sure how to reply to your question about the roping/built up shoulders. I only saw a post a while back by Jeffrey D about shoulder expression. But if I'm going to try, I think it's the roped shoulders that I have a problem with. Ignoring the sleeves, the shoulders look very similar to other jackets that I have.

2. Plestor

Plestor Well-Known Member

Actually I'll slightly amend this by saying it depends on how much you plan on wearing it with jeans. The reason that grey is considered less versatile is that grey odd trousers are the norm. If you wear jeans* enough this becomes not really the case...

*dark blue / indigo

3. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

43.5/105/91.

How much did your PJ blazer set you back?

4. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

In relation to your original post I was actually thinking of these two as being rather similar. [​IMG] [​IMG] Not exactly the same obviously or else the IP lawyers would be onto Mr Steinhart, but can you say there is less than a strong resemblance? Of course all pilots' watches share some attributes. But where is the innovation? A blued hand or two and an ETA movt... Some would call it an hommage but to me it just looks like a poorer version of the IWC. Steinhart do similar things with some Rolex designs as well from memory. You might find something unique about Steinhart's models, besides the price, which attracts you to them, in which case go for it; they're just not my cup of tea.

5. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

To each their own, eh?

6. Prince of Paisley

Yep, but he asked for opinions on those watches and I've explained my philosophy. I don't claim it to be anything more, or less.

1 person likes this.
  7. Prince of Paisley

PS, fxh has a philosophy on watches too - don't spend more than $5 on one.

I guess nobody's perfect ;-)

8. Nicholas D C

Nicholas D C Well-Known Member

That is certainly a lot more similar than the previous models linked - and I can definitely see your point when comparing those two. I did see the Rolex 'inspired' models as well... Food for thought indeed.

9. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

Ah ok youve got a solid neck! Wll let you know.

The jacket i cant remember but its hand finished etc which costs more. Give them a buzz.

People value items differently. If you dont see the value in the iwc va the steingart then get the imitator.

But if your gonna do that then just go to china and get the a grade fake.. At least its cheaper for the same "look"

I have owned the 3717 pilot watch but its busy and common ... traded it for a panerai.. Didnt like panerai either, felt like clock on a strap, unrefined and too showy.. plus it became very mainstream. Then found a new love for vintage JLC

10. TehBunny

TehBunny Well-Known Member

The first rule of Aus Members Thread...never ask how much PJ costs :p

11. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Well-Known Member

Considering you're in Tasmania as well? You can't get P Johnson.

Guys, I used my Fox Umbrella in the rain tonight, for real! It was pretty gusty here in Sydney - the umbrella remained strong. There was a couple of times where I thought I was going to be lifted off the ground. I was really surprised that I didn't get wet. These British umbrellas actually work! Most umbrellas keep 75-80% of you dry, but this one was 95-100%.

12. Prince of Paisley

I think this means you have good taste, or at least, similar taste to me, which is basically the same thing ;-)

13. deingesicht

deingesicht Well-Known Member

What city are you in? If Melbourne then go to begger man thief or double monk if you wanted to spend a little bit more - those in Sydney might be able to order other ideas. This way, you can on then buy over the interest if the price difference was great.

14. deingesicht

deingesicht Well-Known Member

No interest in the barker blacks?

15. thebrownman

thebrownman Well-Known Member

Does anyone here wear leather jackets in the winter months?

16. BeginnersLuck

BeginnersLuck Member

Perth aka The most isolated capital city on the planet. (Actually true.)

To the best of my knowledge no-one here actually sells the 1880 collection.

17. nabilmust

nabilmust Well-Known Member

Malmaison is a fun visit, they stock some really nice things. IIRC, it is also the only store outside Switzerland that has a exhibition/display of Rolexes that are not for sale (if you read that sentence a few times, I promise it will make sense).

Good list, Gezza. Though if you're looking to commission some work, my preference is Iris Tailor over Kevin Seah.

I would avoid Kevin Seah. Overpriced, inconsistent with deadlines (always overpromises) and honestly - no magic.

Here are 2 other chaps worth visiting, if you have time:

J Myers Company - leather goods like wallets, iPad cases, bags, briefcases etc.

Hughes Handcrafted - also leather goods, like card cases, iDevice cases, and bespoke watch straps (been toying with the idea of a strap with just one notch).

For another walkabout, you can head to the "Shoppes" at Marina Bay Sands. Lots of luxe brands, if that catches your heart.

Rob, I'm very keen on their navy m65 too. Let me know when you're ordering one.

18. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

Thanks for that, Nabil. It was more to visit that to commission anything. These days, I find I'm not really into the whole luxe brand thing but it is probably worth a look [​IMG]

19. TehBunny

TehBunny Well-Known Member

Shaving soap reccommendations?

20. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.