• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you guys had to pick 6-8 ties as a 'must' for a gentlemen's wardrobe what would you pick? I'm thinking:

x1 predominantly red stripe
x1 predominantly blue/white stripe
x1 Navy grenadine
x1 Dark red grenadine
x1 Silver check
x1 Sports motif (I can't help myself - RMW bulls)

Need to be all rounders for law courts to be mixed with predominantly mid grey and navy suits.

Last edited:

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you guys had to pick 6-8 ties as a 'must' for a gentlemen's wardrobe what would you pick? I'm thinking:

x1 Navy grenadine
x1 Dark red grenadine
x1 Silver check

Need to be all rounders for law courts to be mixed with predominantly mid grey and navy suits.

I was asking the same question a few pages back. I went with 3 HC ties - purple, green and burgundy.

jmills

Reaction score
Re Ties: There was a small thread about it on SF recently, here. In particular, take a look at the series of articles about ties written by PTO which someone linked in that thread. They're a mine of information, and they also have some hints about starting a collection. Grenadines and simple stripes are good starters, so it sounds as though you're all set.

To go to another topic, anyone know who makes a decent double breasted short coat, similar (if not a homage to) the Burberry London trench? Not sure I can justify $1600 for the few chilly evenings remaining this year.

Also one last thing of note, I've been doing some research, and it turns out we can get calf Vass shoes for less than $500 AUD, including shipping!

Last edited:

DartagnanRed

Reaction score
Does anyone here watch The Walking Dead? Just watched episode 3 of season 3.
SHEEEEEIIITTTTTT..
I'm up to two thirds of the way through season 2, is it worth me still watching? I found it a bit soap-opera-with-zombies. The acting in particular is well below the other great shows on at the moment.

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm up to two thirds of the way through season 2, is it worth me still watching? I found it a bit soap-opera-with-zombies. The acting in particular is well below the other great shows on at the moment.

Yeah, Season 2 drags a bit towards the end. Especially with the whole Sophia story, but Season 3 is a whole new ball game. Some new characters, some old ones return and you're sitting there, like, "SHEEEITT"

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re Ties: There was a small thread about it on SF recently, here. In particular, take a look at the series of articles about ties written by PTO which someone linked in that thread. They're a mine of information, and they also have some hints about starting a collection. Grenadines and simple stripes are good starters, so it sounds as though you're all set.

To go to another topic, anyone know who makes a decent double breasted short coat, similar (if not a homage to) the Burberry London trench? Not sure I can justify $1600 for the few chilly evenings remaining this year.

Also one last thing of note, I've been doing some research, and it turns out we can get calf Vass shoes for less than $500 AUD, including shipping!

apparently there's major sales in the UK and US where the trenches can be had for $500. if you can wait for one, might be worthwhile getting it if you ever travel there.

i think they're a good investment - if looked after well it'll last 30 years plus.

fox81

Reaction score

thanks guys

anyone know where to get bespoke baby clothes for girls? :) Im thinking a seersucker dress for summer :D

there was a thread on here a while ago about some guys wife recycling old mens clothes into clothes for their young daughter. it was really good stuff. it was probably 2+ years ago though

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No I don't mean try hard - altho that may well be true.
I suppose like a lot of these things its hard to put in words but easier to show if I could get pics of the same person wearing hard then softer look.
Basically I think one of the big things wrong with most men here in Oz and possibly everywhere else - is dressing for a hard business look. I assume its tied up with Abbott like notions of masculinity and toughness vs femininity and softness, although many women do it too, possibly they are just as influenced by notions of masculinity = hardness and success /power in business.
I think the hard look is a bit overdone in business (one reason I like a lot of IVY influenced stuff) but is particularly problematic in casual clothes and at weekends.
Quickly - lets contrast say - in the same milieu - or meeting room - a dark grey/charcoal nondescript suit that you see everywhere - worsted - or even a navy suit ( which I don't see that much) and white poplin shirt with the usual good quality silk tie with a bit of shine and sparkle and black mirror shine spit polish shoes captoes with black nylon short socks, big blokey watch silver expanding link band - my other bloke is in a mid navy textured ,say hopsack weave, wool jacket, oxford cloth medium spread shirt, possibly even a plain blue silk knit tie, medium grey flannel ( I mean slight nap not necessarily full on unworsted flannel) grey wool OTC ribbed socks and dark brown suede shoes, plain flat medium size watch and brown leather strap.
Bloke No1 one is dressed hard - bloke No 2 soft.
No 2 in most cases is dressed more than appropriately for most situations these days. Or bloke two can dress in flannel suit, same blue shirt, medium dark brown leather shoes and subdued grenadine tie - still softer.
Now its not all that bad in a business situation but going casual and what do you see No 1 - casual fridays - (really casual Sunday to Saturday but lets leave that) jeans - even nice jeans are a bit hard looking, black polished shoes or boots, white shirt poplin and say an old worsted suit jacket - still a hard look. No 2 might go, clean khaki chinos, blue OCBD, suede chukkas or brown leather chukkas, relaxed cotton blue jacket.
An even harder look ,which sadly many suburban dads seem compelled to emulate (badly), is the rocker/ bikie look, leather jacket, jeans, dark t shirt, black boots leather, big belt buckle. Or some weak suburban variation of this look with leather car coat, Russian Mafia style, floral shirt or denim shirt, or the horror of horrors the orphan suit jacket worn over a T shirt etc.
The english - well at least those interested - might argue city vs country model - I'm more interested, at the moment, in hard vs soft in some ways.
Any of that make sense?

Okay, I think I understand what you are on about (the try hard comment was partly tongue in cheek but I think you got me there ;-)

So "hard" is about contrasts, often too stark; straight lines, dark vs light, shine versus dark matt... as you say your typical "power dressing". Personally I don't see anything inherently wrong with the dark plain navy suit, power red tie, napisan white shirt, shiny black captoes look, apart from it's boring and predictable. Softening it up with a lighter (dare I say it blogger) blue suit, black or dark brown brogues, patterned moroon tie, light blue shirt... if nothing else it's more interesting and shows more personality and imagination. You might call that "softer".

As far as casual goes, there is no doubt that stark contrasts can be in your face - e.g. a bright pink shirt under a muted jacket a la Preston. You might call this high contrast style "hard", which it probably is, but I'm not sure it's any less viable than a "soft" expression, say if you replace the bright shirt with a powder blue one. The two types of dress communicate different things. One is louder and full of contrast (harder), one is softer and blends elements of an outfit. Depending on your context and your personality I would argue both are equally acceptable, all other things being equal.

Personally, I'm probably a "soft" dresser 80% of the time. Makes up for my hard face. Sometimes I'll dress hard as well if I'm in a confident mood. Dressing hard is fine as long as you understand what you're communicating when you do it.

PS - congratulations Rob.

Last edited:

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

x1 Navy grenadine 
x1 Dark red grenadine 
x1 Silver check 

It really all depends on your shirts. You say you have mid grey and navy suits - these will go with just about anything in terms of ties. I tend to wear patterned ties (paisley for example) so I'll answer your question in terms of base colours. You should probably start with:

2 blue-base ties (preferably different shades, e.g. one navy, one mid-blue - nothing light blue they generally look awful)
1-2 maroon base ties
1 brown base tie (you'll get use out of it if you wear brown shoes)
1 purple/indigo base tie

These are just suggestions for base colours. Choice of pattern or motif is untirely up to individual tastes and I don't know you so can't comment on what you'd like. You can experiment with other base colours as well (steer clear of yellow or kermit green ties, they are ghastly), but I would start with those 5-6 as basics. If you have 2 suits then that's at least 12 outfits (before taking shirts into account) as all those colours should go pretty well with navy or mid grey.

quar

Reaction score
Anyone interested in the "P Johnson Napoli" stuff appearing on their Tumblr?

Manufactured by Orazio Luciano I'm told.

Orders can be made potentially next month. I'm going to the South Melbourne Showroom to investigate tomorrow, and plan an order for when they start taking them. It's a great product from what I've seen at The Armoury.

Last edited:

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Anyone interested in the "P Johnson Napoli" stuff appearing on their Tumblr?
Manufactured by Orazio Luciano I'm told.
Orders can be made potentially next month. I'm going to the South Melbourne Showroom to investigate tomorrow, and plan an order for when they start taking them. It's a great product from what I've seen at The Armoury.

i tried on Patch's unlined, unstructured jacket (yes no canvassing, no lining, no padding) the other day (ive lost weight and can squeeze into his jackets now)

its the best, so hard to make but feels so light on...the ultimate soft jacket and id feel fine wearing it on a warm aussie summer day

quar

Reaction score
I assume they can make their more standard offerings also. I'd prefer a work-horse coat with a chest canvas, and quarter-lined.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads