1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Well-Known Member

Returned the small epaulet trousers, bought a size up and a pair of these as well: (ps, totally in love with these boots)
    [​IMG]

2. aussiejake

aussiejake Well-Known Member

Sure did, was pretty enjoyable. Pettis getting the next shot at Aldo is very interesting.

3. wishiwasricher

wishiwasricher Well-Known Member

Advice time gents.

I've been slowly upgrading my wardrobe over the past few years. I'm looking to get a pair o dark brown shoes to add to my rotation. I've lusting after a pair of the carmina brown captors from the armoury. The only thing holding me back is that I do a lot of walking around for work in the shoes. I'm note sure I want to spend that amount if the walking will ruin them. ( I'm a teacher so will walk anywhere between 5 and 7km a day)

Anyone with carmina know how they will hold up? Or should I get a second pair of less expensive shoes to prevent th carmina's getting wrecked.

4. Spandexter

Spandexter Well-Known Member

I have those exact shoes and find they are only getting better with age. The leather is lovely and soft and with regular care they still look very good. I have steel caps on the front to help with wear and tear. Just be careful with the sizing of the Simpson last.

5. streetminimal

streetminimal Well-Known Member

Shit I almost had a stroke when I saw that PJohnson put in more shirts in the RTW range. Lol that's it, game over.

6. eightace

eightace Well-Known Member

Sydneysiders,

Zambelli sale this weekend.

THIS SATURDAY 9th & SUNDAY 10th FEBRUARY
    9pm – 5pm
    1 SYDENHAM RD, MARRICKVILLE

7. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Well-Known Member

They had a Zambelli in Balmain. Their suits looked pretty good. Anyone else have anything worthy of comment?

8. iSurg

iSurg Well-Known Member

Finally received delivery of my Barton Perreira sunnies (with my script put in). I am very myopic, btw.

First impressions - very nice tortoise shell acetate frames. Very refined yet masculine design. Good quality construction. Had a good pair of polarised lenses put in (Essilor). Well-fitted: not loose yet not tight either. Looking forward to wearing them while commuting to work, chilling out on the deck at Mdm Brussels, or just rocking them on a nice day like today. My optical frames have been serving me well these past 3 weeks, and I have no complaints - they are sturdy and well-made.

If anyone else is interested in acquiring a pair of sunnies or opticals, I strongly recommend Clare at http://eyesonrathdowne.com.au. She is a skilled optom, knows how to get your refraction just right, and has excellent customer service. Her prices are competitive as well. I have actually improved and further refined my refraction since visiting her. Some photos attached below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  9. LonerMatt

What brand are your normal glasses?

Mine are Salt, and I like them a lot, but the frame is a bit flimsy.

10. iSurg

iSurg Well-Known Member

Also Barton Perreira :)
    The lenses on that one are great - Zeiss.

11. lachyzee

lachyzee Well-Known Member

Pretty much opposite my house. She is indeed a lovely lady.

12. iSurg

iSurg Well-Known Member

Cool, lachyzee. It takes me 5-10 mins to walk to her place so she's my preferred local vendor. Just like North Carlton Canteen. Those guys were so busy today...

13. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

Well, this is a bit spooky. I'm around the corner.

Clare is great.

14. iSurg

iSurg Well-Known Member

Welcome to the twilight zone. Pretty uncanny how we live within a 1km radius and frequent the same shops - could have walked past each other without knowing.
    Should take advantage of this and arrange a weekend meetup at the local (on Rathdowne and Pigdon) some time soon.

15. lachyzee

lachyzee Well-Known Member

If you look outside eyesonrathdowne on a weekday morning round 8.15 you'll usually see me staring into their window while waiting for the bus, I've pretty much memorised their stock :)

16. joiji

joiji Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be worried. I gave my father a pair of Loake's last year and he's been wearing them every day almost after he wore out the pair he was wearing at the time. He doesn't take care of them, shoe trees them only on weekends, etc. He's only halfway through the sole, and the shoes are easily revived with a brush and a polish. I'd say you'd be fine with the Carmina's.

17. LonerMatt

I don't even know what lenses I have.

Does it make a difference?

18. iSurg

iSurg Well-Known Member

I found Nikon and Zeiss to have the best optical quality. Been wearing specs for much longer than I am proud of. Essilor is ok because it's cheaper than Zeiss and Nikon, and quality-wise is still ok.

I stay away from contacts now, even the ones with reportedly better corneal oxygenation. You can tell when someone has worn contacts for a while (ghost vessels) and the dreaded complications are numerous (microbial keratitis, corneal endothelial cell loss). I am a vain individual but draw the line at the need to keep my vision in tip top shape. Scraping people's corneas puts you off anything but spectacles. as a rule, everyone should have some contact-free days...

19. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

I have been using nikon lite lenses for yars, costly but woth it. BTW i am myopic and wonder are the Zeiss better in terms of value.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.