1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

How much are they going for, Gez?

2. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

photo - how they compare to green?

3. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

Quite right. I was about to write a diatribe on universities etc. but have just saved it to my hard disk for inclusion in my memoirs...

As for hats, generally I don't see much need to wear them to and from work as I'm out of the sun for most of the day. Lucky if I get 5 minutes total exposure (maybe that's still too much as the old natural head covering is.. well I think it's actually just called "skin" in my case). If I have to go out and about looking smart on the weekend I wear a trilby which isn't the most practical sun protection-wise but it covers the most vulnerable bits, and I slap some sunscreen on the ears. A wide brimmed hat can look costumey in my opinion. I'd thought about getting a proper panama this summer but I didn't want to look like a character from Evil Under the Sun.

For me, winter is when I think I'd like to wear a hat everyday, as I increasingly feel the cold whip round my ears. Beanies are not a good look for anyone, but neither is it really socially acceptable in this country to go "full Tibor"...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  4. nabilmust

nabilmust Well-Known Member

Rob, try the 3 Sixteens. They're sanforized, so they don't stretch out as much as the APCs do. I also prefer the rise and the seat of the 3 Sixteens.

5. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Well-Known Member

To sound cliche: education should always be something that's open and continuing, that helps people live the way the want to. It's an end in of itself, but the reason it is valuable is because it opens up more opportunities to learn/grow/succeed/etc. Of course employment is important, and an important flow on from having learned skills. I don't understand why people go to University to get a job.

A teacher cannot really approach a class or subject any other way since students are never ALL going to end up in the same profession things NEED to be left open, or people are failed.

I understand less why those in control of hiring decisions follow a similar line of logic. It makes no sense. In no way is University an ideal environment for anything other than open learning (TAFE too). In no way does it adequately prepare anyone for the actual work they do. If this is the end goal, then apprenticeships/trainee ships are a lot more useful in terms of how well specific skills within specific contexts are learned/mastered.

6. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

From todays Guardian

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. AriGold

AriGold Well-Known Member

It depends on what you study IMO.

If you did computer science or finance for example or other type of quantative degree your university experience would help directly.

In an indirect fashion, writing thesis papers will improve one's ability to communicate. It certainly has helped me as a finance analyst that writes over 10,000 words a week.

I think that university helps one develop the intangibles that will prepare you for the workforce. For me, it was a great transition between a sheltered high school life with a small circle of friends, to the workforce where networking is important.

8. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Well-Known Member

We're not in disagreement.

I perhaps should have been clearer: if people want the best workers (quality, efficiency, capability) University will never provide that to the extent that a traineeship of some sort will. University will teach transferable skills, and directly beneficial capabilities, but those are not all it teaches, but that might be all a workplace desires.

I think many people miss out on expanding a cross-contextual skill set, and vastly under-rate the value of being able to adapt, learn well, and produce quality in a variety of contexts. These are things I think University sets an exceptional foundation for provided that is what students are consciously looking for. I think most people are confused (no direction) or focused (too blinkered to realise) with some coming to that realisation through their studies (but not initially approaching their studies with that intent).

Just saddens me that anyone would answer the question "What do you get out of University?" with "a job". Seems so shallow (but I'm incredibly biased, of course, I do work in education so that overshadows me, though I thought this way while I was at University). No one here has quite said that, but I know people who do.

9. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

$350.

I was looking forward to taking some pics but a frickin' thunderstorm just started [​IMG]

I didn't see the green suede chukkas but the green suede tassel loafers look bloody awesome!

10. AriGold

AriGold Well-Known Member

^ Fair point - I guess the people who think of uni as a means to an end, are really missing out on what an enriching experience university life can be. I still think that going to university just to get a job is still fine, but they are only getting the tip of the iceberg at that point.

11. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Well-Known Member

No, not ADFA. I work in commerce and have worked largely full time since finishing school in a program with my employer. I don't know about my actual "profitability", but I do know that my course contributes the most revenue for the uni I attend. Given I attend effectively zero tutes and only about half of the lectures, all my materials are online and there are no provided textbooks, I'd say I'm pretty cheap from the uni's perspective.

12. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

Which model? Im looking at 3sixteen but unsure for straight or tapered and unsure for sizing too haha
    Ok ive booked a quick return flight to melb for wednesday to check these badboys out. Im in at 11 out by 3 lol

13. lachyzee

lachyzee Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  14. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

haters gonna hate haha

the last is quite sleek and the colours are different to what you can ordinarily obtain (green, grey, red etc)

they look better than most ive seen

15. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about this for years. I have one BIL who has about 2 or 3 small quick ops a year because of skin stuff. He almost always wears a hat outside - hes very fair skinned and was/is a surfer. He's more inclined the hipster side of life ( I've given it up - mainly - first step admitting you're are powerless...) so he has a variety of headgear.

My father wore a hat every day of his life outside since he was around 20 years old. I've still got 6 of his hats. I can remember him and his mates complaining about new cars that didn't have enough headroom inside to wear a hat. Toward the end of his life even he succumbed to fashion and wouldn't go the "full Tibor" wearing a hat less and less with a suit and tie.

Me its not such a problem - I don't have any great loss of follicles except a bit at the front, I have olive (alright - swarthy) skin and I don't spend much time in the sun. I find hats in winter blow off when needed 'cos of rain, I don't like caps or beanies and loathe tractor/baseball caps. I'll wear a baseball hat doing very dusty /dirty work as protection and I use one under my bike helmet as a sun visor/ sweat absorber. Ms fxh is at me to buy a Panama but although I've tried them on all around the world, at cheapish prices, I still feel too much Death In Venice to adopt it as a real world solution. But as I've said its not a big deal for me.

It is a big deal for a lot of men. Many have advanced MPB in the 20s and 30s and should be avoiding exposure.

It seems to me its not much of a problem if you are an outdoor worker, or bushwalking or even going to the park for a picnic - I wear various hats at a picnic and never feel its costume - but its essentially casual. No one cares much at a BBQ Panama, stingy brim or even a Carmen Miranda doesn't matter much.

The real problem is business or smart wear.

I'm sure something will emerge - I'm just not sure what.

16. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Well-Known Member

Gold! :crackup:

Interesting choice G, I am about 80 percent sure that I am going to go the green (I think it can go well with most colours), but might be swayed last minute.

17. aussiejake

aussiejake Well-Known Member

Probably selling them for too much IMO. I believe you can buy them brand new for around that price, sometimes even cheaper.

18. aKula

aKula Well-Known Member

Panama in a fedora style is probably the best option. Looks less like costume than the more traditional panama style. Felt hats in the winter look more anachronistic and therefore awkward, but it could be that most people who wear them also wear clothes whose poor quality you can see from across the street, which makes the whole thing look even more awkward.

19. TehBunny

TehBunny Well-Known Member

mensweardog.tumblr.com Amaaazing!!,!,
    Well Lahdee Daa...

20. TehBunny

TehBunny Well-Known Member

Anyone used the HSAB promo code to get free trees off herring shoes? If not... here u go :)
    EDIT: FUARK DUB POST!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.